Mainline kernel DRM problems on OrangePi

IgorS

Yesterday ubuntu issued updates related to DRM, packages:

ii  libdrm-amdgpu1:armhf                          2.4.99-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to amdgpu-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libdrm-common                                 2.4.99-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      all          Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- common files
ii  libdrm-etnaviv1:armhf                         2.4.99-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to etnaviv-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libdrm-nouveau2:armhf                         2.4.99-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libdrm-radeon1:armhf                          2.4.99-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to radeon-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libdrm2:armhf                                 2.4.99-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libegl-mesa0:armhf                            19.2.1-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
ii  libegl1-mesa:armhf                            19.2.1-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        transitional dummy package
ii  libgbm1:armhf                                 19.2.1-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        generic buffer management API -- runtime
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:armhf                         19.2.1-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:armhf                         19.2.1-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        transitional dummy package
ii  libglapi-mesa:armhf                           19.2.1-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglx-mesa0:armhf                            19.2.1-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library

After updating, my OrangePiPlus 2E with kernel 5.4 starts to have problems with screen rendering. Colors were strange, no bit images were rendered, no transparencies etc.
XFCE desktop, but also lightdm login screen was rendered very wrong.
Same happened to H5 based boards also, OrangePi Prime and OrangePi PC2.
I tried different versions of the kernel, 5.4.6, 5.4.8, 5.4.12, but also 5.3.13, always with the same result.
But, on kernel 4.19.xx everything work good. I also tried several versions of 4.19 kernels, an everything had been always ok.

Previous version of this libraries:

hi  libdrm-amdgpu1:armhf                          2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to amdgpu-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
hi  libdrm-common                                 2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      all          Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- common files
hi  libdrm-etnaviv1:armhf                         2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to etnaviv-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
hi  libdrm-nouveau2:armhf                         2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
hi  libdrm-radeon1:armhf                          2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to radeon-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
hi  libdrm2:armhf                                 2.4.97-1ubuntu1~18.04.1                      armhf        Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- runtime
hi  libegl-mesa0:armhf                            19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.3                      armhf        free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
hi  libegl1-mesa:armhf                            19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.3                      armhf        transitional dummy package
hi  libgbm1:armhf                                 19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.3                      armhf        generic buffer management API -- runtime
hi  libgl1-mesa-dri:armhf                         19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.3                      armhf        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
hi  libgl1-mesa-glx:armhf                         19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.3                      armhf        transitional dummy package
hi  libglapi-mesa:armhf                           19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.3                      armhf        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
hi  libglx-mesa0:armhf                            19.0.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.3                      armhf        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library

don't have any problems with kernel 5.

There are my limits of knowledge, so I reverted my boards to kernel 4.19.96 until somebody more experienced find what is going on.

I'm having similar issues. Flashed an old image I had, everything was fine until I "sudo apt update && apt upgrade" reboot and now images aren't being rendered including terminal. Didn't think to try an image with 4xx kernel. Trying to get kubuntu up ,running and tweaked to run as a car headunit 

• lanefu pinned this topic
On 1/18/2020 at 3:58 AM, IgorS said:

don't have any problems with kernel 5.

There are my limits of knowledge, so I reverted my boards to kernel 4.19.96 until somebody more experienced find what is going on.

so good catch on the mesa driver changes... looks like lima support was merged in...  Can you try mainline kernel, but rolling back to the older mesa packages?

2 hours ago, IgorS said:

"

you could try to blacklist lima  or panfrost.

or add 02-driver.conf to /etc/X11/Xorg.conf.d with below

"

Thanks for that, I know this, but I would like to have accelerated gfx.

enable this ppa for ubuntu

https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

and configure Xorg:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima/web

21 hours ago, ning said:

In description of this ppa:

"Supported architectures: amd64, arm64, i386"

and there is problem on 32 bit armhf  (H3 i.e.)

However, I tryed on H5 (OrangePi PC2, OrangePI Prime) without success.

After updating drivers and configuring Xorg,  problem remains exactly the same as before.

Finally good news!

Today (2020-07-14) for ubuntu bionic becomes available mesa update, following packages:

libegl-mesa0 libegl1-mesa libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libglx-mesa0 mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers

After that, xfce desktop on orangepi2e starts to work flawlessly with kernel 5.4.xx (in my case 5.4.51) again.

Exact versions of packages:

igor@orangepiplus2e:~/trash/mesa$ dpkg -l | grep 'mesa\|libgbm1'
ii  libegl-mesa0:armhf                            20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        free implementation of the EGL API -- Mesa vendor library
ii  libegl1-mesa:armhf                            20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        transitional dummy package
ii  libgbm1:armhf                                 20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        generic buffer management API -- runtime
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:armhf                         20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:armhf                         20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        transitional dummy package
ii  libglapi-mesa:armhf                           20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglx-mesa0:armhf                            20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX vendor library
ii  mesa-utils                                    8.4.0-1                                    armhf        Miscellaneous Mesa GL utilities
ii  mesa-va-drivers:armhf                         20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        Mesa VA-API video acceleration drivers
ii  mesa-vdpau-drivers:armhf                      20.0.8-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                    armhf        Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers

• Igor unpinned this topic