[Moderation] Welcoming new members?

Go to solution Solved by Werner,

When using Discourse (forum software) on other forums, it will pop up a little box telling you when someone has made their first post, and encouraging you to welcome them. We don't have that exact same functionality here, but it is very easy to mouse over their avatar and see that it is their first post (Content Count 1).

I sort of got into the habit of welcoming new people (in other places where that's encouraged) as I have always felt that the idea of "Community" is very important in F/LOSS. I even did it here, but only couple times so far. Just to try and make new people feel welcome. If we are lucky, maybe they will stick around, and eventually, contribute...

However I get the sense that may be going against the existing culture here, which seems to be more serious. I feel like doing such things would be viewed as "polluting" a thread or going "off topic" etc. But my perception could of course be wrong, so I wanted to discuss the issue. Especially with @Igor and @balbes150 who already expressed their dislike of forum signatures. ;)

Also perhaps others? Please tag any such cranky minimalist people here (especially devs or other respected community members) so as to get their opinion on this.

What about using forum messaging / email system? Register at https://www.ipfire.org/ and you will see what I mean by that. Its effective and IMO overall less disturbing.

48 minutes ago, TRS-80 said:

Just to try and make new people feel welcome. If we are lucky, maybe they will stick around, and eventually, contribute...

Most of people are nice. They do deserve to be handled this way ... until we have to deal with damaging ass-hole:rolleyes:

A lot of people are too lazy to use search ... we can improve that with proper communication and with tagging and merging.

17 minutes ago, Igor said:

What about using forum messaging / email system?

I suppose I would think some sort of canned reply welcome message to be less personal. I did not register at ipfire so maybe they are doing something different than what I am expecting.

Plus my thought was to create a culture of welcoming people. By doing so publicly, it may catch on, become self-perpetuating (to an extent)... Which, I suppose would be good or bad depending on your viewpoint...

Yes I am aware of "takers" and "help vampires" who do not contribute and therefore do not add to the community. Not saying to blanket send everyone the same message, which would be the same as an impersonal canned reply, but rather (and especially) when someone first post is contributing good information, data points, etc. to welcome those sort of people to the community. You never know where the next contribur may eventually come from...

Others who clearly have not read the most basic of things would still get a different sort of "greeting"...

2 minutes ago, TRS-80 said:

I did not register at ipfire so maybe they are doing something different than what I am expecting.

Try and wait few days. You can feel someone worked on that. Perhaps that is some ready made welcome, build-in forum which I hardly believe ... but still, its nice.

3 minutes ago, TRS-80 said:

Plus my thought was to create a culture of welcoming people. By doing so publicly, it may catch on, become self-perpetuating (to an extent)... Which, I suppose would be good or bad depending on your viewpoint...

If this will level up the forum culture while not making more pressure on developers and maintainers ... why not. I mean, how would we get anywhere without changing anything. Make a plan, let's discuss it - consider my suggestions as from any regular user and then put into action.

13 minutes ago, TRS-80 said:

Others who clearly have not read the most basic of things would still get a different sort of "greeting"...

I am sometimes too emotional and get pissed off - you, on the other hand, can be more detach and act more politically correct in term of pure abuse from the users side. My tolerance is low to be nice and friendly when I see that ...

OK, maybe I will give ipfire a test just to see what you are talking about.

On your last two points, yes this is sort of what I am getting at. Trying to promote a culture of contribution and helping each other, and being a buffer so you guys can go off and do your wizard stuff and not spending all your time (and perhaps more importantly, emotional energy) on support. I think the carrot is just as important as the stick (not sure if that phrase translates culturally?). You know, positive reinforcement. And just plain being friendly. Especially to people who are contributing!

One of the things attracting me to this community initially was the clearly high level of technical competence and no-nonsense approach and honestly I think we should keep that. But at the end of the day we are all human beings, I don't see the harm (for someone like me, who is more focused on the "community" via forums (and IRC)) to try and be a little more welcoming. Overall I don't want to change the existing culture, which I see as good. I just want to allow some of my innate friendliness to come through, and welcome newcomers. Cheers! :)

• TRS-80 changed the title to [Moderation] Welcoming new members?

IMHO in technical themes do not need "empty" greetings. Create a separate topic (or section) for "universal" communication and "greetings". To evaluate the usefulness of a message, there is a mechanism for likes, which shows the user well the value of his message to others.

PS I do not impose my point of view on anyone, you can do as you see fit.

I already decided several days ago (maybe almost a week by now) not to publicly do this (unless I am already replying to their post otherwise).

If I feel their first post was good enough (contributing especially) I will often send a PM telling them so and welcoming them to the forum.

Thanks everyone for feedback.

Edited by TRS-80
add last bit

To give this in the meantime a bit aged idea a new bump I'd suggest to use the "Profile Completion" feature for that purpose. It is indeed not exactly the same but offers us the opportunity to get some text boxes to new users and suggest them to do something. Like this:

grafik.png

And my 2c in this context:

To put it simply, it welcomes newly registered members. It will welcome them with an optional personal message, email or topic alert. From there you can further customize each pm, email or topic message, the subject / title and so on. It also has the ability to welcome members that are added manually through the Admin CP.

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7449-auto-welcome/

On 9/16/2020 at 10:05 PM, Igor said:

I usually prefer trying to solve things with the possibilities we have but in this case this seems the best solution, also because it is a free addon that seem to get frequent updates with is an important factor. Bring it on :P

Aight since I finally had a chance to make some thought about this here is me configuration suggestion:

A dummy account ( @Welcome Bot ) is created to send a personal message one hour after registration. Unfortunately it is not possible to trigger this by post count, only by validation status which is impractial for us since this period can be quite long (waiting time after first approval or become donator or get a like).

The content as first draft:

Hey %member_name%, thanks for registering!

Welcome to the Armbian Forums. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others.

It would be cool if you would customize your profile a bit and - for example - set an avatar to give some uniqueness to yourself ;)

Check your profile here: %profile_link%

If you have any questions there is a good chance a similar question has been asked already. Try to use the search function which you can find in the top right of your window regardless which forum you are currently browsing. Otherwise forum related question could be posted in General chit chat or come chat with us in our IRC Channel.

Enjoy your stay!

PS: Please do not reply to this message because I am just a bot and my inbox is not monitored :ph34r:. Nobody's perfect I guess :lol:

Hey %member_name%, thanks for registering!

Welcome to the Armbian Forums. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others.

It would be cool if you would customize your profile a bit and - for example - set an avatar to give some uniqueness to yourself ;)

Check your profile here: %profile_link%

If you have any questions there is a good chance a similar question has been asked already. Try to use the search function which you can find in the top right of your window regardless which forum you are currently browsing. Otherwise forum related question could be posted in General chit chat or come chat with us in our IRC Channel.

Take note that your account is limited functionally at the moment. We do not like doing that but this is necessary to fight spam and abuse which sadly is a big issue :(.

These limitations include but are not limited to waiting periods between postings and/or the requirement of manual moderation approval.

To get rid of those limitations

• you can either wait seven days after your first posting being approved or
  • create valuable content to the forums and receive a Like from somebody for it or
  • show your appreciation and that you care about the Armbian project and consider getting a subscription.

The latter two options will lift any restriction immediately. Thank you very much for understanding.

Enjoy your stay!

PS: Please do not reply to this message because I am just a bot and my inbox is not monitored :ph34r:. Nobody's perfect I guess :lol:

How's that?

• Solution
3 hours ago, Igor said:

Good. I would only add a link to search where it is mentioned. Perhaps to the general armbian.com/search

Embedded in the message above.

And implemented.

Marking as solved (again) :P

In order to minimise questions "why I am limited to one post per day" ... adding that info here and showing it on the forum as a notice - as an advertisement to all users in a group validating? And perhaps question the limits all over again. Are they too strict? Should we adjust them a bit?

Important Information

Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Guidelines