Making IRC Channel Official

Igor

9 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

I am of German descent though, so I like to keep things organized. :D

I am having a little more time now, so I could spend a few hours a week on the forums.

I've been looking for a way to contribute more, as I think this is a very important project. Perhaps this will be the way...

I also like to keep things in order, but forum and this project is too big for me since a long time ago. Keeping this thing organised can only be done together. I appreciate your willingness to do your share!

9 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

Incidentally, I tend to idle in IRC when online, I know the #armbian channel is not official, but I could also help with our presence there.

#armbian channel is unofficial for one very banal reason :rolleyes: It doesn't have a recording device -> irclogs.armbian.com I tried to fix this once - by reaching out to IRC server staff to acquire OP status which is needed to install a bot, now its years ago, but failed. Then this task simply faded off the radar. It has been more than 25 years since I was installing IRC bots so I also feel a bit rusted doing that ... if you can fix this, #armbian can become official at once and I will also be there more often.

Herzlich willkommen!

8 hours ago, Igor said:

#armbian channel is unofficial for one very banal reason :rolleyes: It doesn't have a recording device -> irclogs.armbian.com I tried to fix this once - by reaching out to IRC server staff to acquire OP status which is needed to install a bot, now its years ago, but failed. Then this task simply faded off the radar. It has been more than 25 years since I was installing IRC bots so I also feel a bit rusted doing that ... if you can fix this, #armbian can become official at once and I will also be there more often.

Odd. I did IRC stuff many years ago as well but it should not be a big deal to register a channel for a group and therefore gain op status in it...

Maybe I find some time to take a look into that.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:06 AM, Werner said:

Odd. I did IRC stuff many years ago as well but it should not be a big deal to register a channel for a group and therefore gain op status in it...

Maybe I find some time to take a look into that.

I think at this point I can say: Done :D

I was talking to @soerenderfor about getting on IRC (and some initial confusion he had) which reminded me of something I was already thinking about before:

Originally we discussed redirecting irclogs.armbian.com -> whitequark log display website, but somehow we ended up with irc.armbian.com -> whitequark website.

I have always thought that to be a bit confusing, perhaps at irc.armbian.com we should have a landing page or some instructions, wherein contains another link to the exterior logging page (and clarifying it is an external page perhaps). And/or also redirect irclogs.armbian.com to there.

Since DNS / site level stuff rises above my pay grade to @Igor and/or @lanefu, I am pinging them here.

As a compromise between security (as suggested by Freenode staff to not use op status in a channel if you do not have to for a reason) and online presence/visibility I suggest to give any well known contributor to the project (forum staff, irc staff, developer) +v (voice) mode in the IRC channel.

Any objections?

4 hours ago, Werner said:

As a compromise between security (as suggested by Freenode staff to not use op status in a channel if you do not have to for a reason) and online presence/visibility I suggest to give any well known contributor to the project (forum staff, irc staff, developer) +v (voice) mode in the IRC channel.

Any objections?

Doesn't that imply we have to make the irc channel moderated?  I don't want to do that.

On 1/23/2020 at 1:01 PM, TRS-80 said:

I have always thought that to be a bit confusing, perhaps at irc.armbian.com we should have a landing page or some instructions, wherein contains another link to the exterior logging page (and clarifying it is an external page perhaps). And/or also redirect irclogs.armbian.com to there.

Im okay with it as is.  I'd rather that confusion filter out some of the newbs from easily finding their way to IRC.

2 hours ago, lanefu said:

Doesn't that imply we have to make the irc channel moderated?  I don't want to do that.

Of course not. Having voice in an non-moderated channel is an optical accentuation only.

I'd rather that confusion filter out some of the newbs from easily finding their way to IRC.

Got a good point there. :D

moderated?

36 minutes ago, Werner said:

Of course not. Having voice in an non-moderated channel is an optical accentuation only.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that either. A brief internet search turned up this page which states:

If the channel is not moderated, the voice option is frequently used as a status symbol. When there is no +m, voices have no more privileges than the regular users.