Censorship 2020

OrangePee

Wow!

I read already on other sites that this armbian community has some weird views about what's allowed and what information will be depublished or simply that they are 'famous' for censorship. I actually run directly in it as my thread was directly deleted and just later on - after complaints - released with a deleted link.

But why then get's my thread just locked now after 15 replies and not directly deleted?

Or why does have one person in this forum the right to tell what's interesting for the community or not?

Funny (or sad?) enough that even in the first link in my the thread you can read about the armbian moderators abusing there powers...

I guess this thread here is gone in 3, 2, 1... no problems here please continue like nothing happens, business as usual :(

20 minutes ago, TooMuchCensorshipRequired said:

they are 'famous' for censorship

I'd say we are 'famous' for making Linux work on every kind of random piece of hardware, and even many vendors trust in Armbian to make the OS for their devices :D #proudToUseArmbian

23 minutes ago, JMCC said:

I'd say we are 'famous' for making Linux work on every kind of random piece of hardware, and even many vendors trust in Armbian to make the OS for their devices :D #proudToUseArmbian

23 minutes ago, JMCC said:

No offence, I use armbian a lot on many SBC which would be otherwise just paperweights.

But here it's certainly not about the technical part but about the human part.

#notProudOfTheArmbianCommunity

I know this projects runs on volunteers and donations only but still what happening already within 4 days within signing up is much to much. I participate in a lot's of communities (mainly open source, mainly run by volunteers) but something like here - and with this amount - never happens to me anywhere in my whole live (and for sure I don't had only good experiences I can tell)...

So maybe @Igor as the founder of armbian wants to comment on this and gives his opinion?

dude forreal you kinda fly off the handle pretty quick. 

Balbes is the loneTV boxes person.... and the tv boxes is his project... so if he's not interested.. he's not interested... 

I'm sure if you wanted to add support to the TV boxes branch he'd accept the PR.

well that one escalated quickly.. and due to all the notifications popping up I had to follow most of the crap happened here.. And first before I even try to sum this up. I suppose you change your nick immediately to something else.

You started with a thread about a dirt cheap TV box which you already bought and then tried to convince others to buy it as well cause it's cheap and somehow in the hope armbian will run on it.. This one got deleted by @TRS-80 . Which might be an overreaction. Depending on how you read the rules he had the right to do it.. I would probably just moved it to TV boxes so that it get read by the right persons namely @balbes150 who more or less maintains 'armbian on TV boxes' on his own. Most others doing development are for good reasons not interested in TV boxes (even with schematics it's mostly a pain if things like a proper DT don't exist from the vendor.. But instead of trying to get this in a better shape you tried to find every possible sub-forum to tell everyone that you're pissed-off that he deleted your first post here and there.. since he set you back that everything must be approved it just bloated my messegeboard more with stuff I actually have no passion to deal with.. After seeing that you bloat around everywhere, it was probably the right decision to revoke your post right upon approval by a moderator.. I'm not a fan of such actions cause it's just more work for me to approve x posts more per day..

A small hint the few bucks you spend for an SBC or for TV box is nothing compared to the $ you spend for support. If balbes thinks it's not even worth to have a briefer look at a box he will have likely good reasons for that (I don't even waste my time for TV boxes anymore.. you don't know what you get, things can change cause the vendor runs out of something and replaces it with something else e.g. another wifi chip other ram other whatever he runs out... and then he has to deal with the fall out of that cause people show up here that their similar looking TV box doesn't work as expected). Who will then dive into it to fix it? Will you be around and fixing all this stuff? Or is it then up to him to explain the new users that "this batch works" and this batch doesn't cause component x changed and there's no support for it? It's mostly the second.. And why should he do that for a TV box he's not interested in at all? He answered quite polite that it's a boring TV box he's not interested in.. After that you tried to convince that this is somehow valuable for armbian for whatever reason. I don't think it is.. people here around know that the W905 variants are mostly well supported in the kernel a well supported SoC doesn't give you a well supported TV box/SBC.. As you both figured out the only network connection on this board is crap and due to limited other options (only 2 USB2 every other possibility e.g. attaching network over USB will limit a limited TV box even more making it a wasted 18$ for everyone who buys this box based on that thread in the hope that enough pressure on balbes will convince him to look at it). And that around a time you didn't even tried to get your research done if and how this thing can be re-flashed, that might be your starting point https://lmgtfy.com/?q=amlogic+s905+firmware+update+over+USB ) and then from the picture:

vXNqbhT.png

you see on the right side VCC RX TX GND? that's likely your debug UART and 'most likely' it's 3V or 3v3 so setting up your debug UART see what comes out use google or bing or whatever searchengine you prefer. so that you get a clue what is there if people already did something with the bootloader there or a similar one (if it's u-boot and you can interrupt it printenv gives you some nice hints) post your finding and your guesses and maybe someone will give you a hint here and there how you should progress. That would show @balbes150 that you're actually interested in doing something not just soak up his time, maybe not cause I think he has enough valid points to declare this box as a waste of time.. And the TV box subforum is still a forum about armbian on TV boxes not elec"something" on TV boxes.. If you want that ask the guys there to support your new paperweight maybe they're willing maybe they're not - that's then their decision. But except the confirmation that there's a crap wifi IMO your thread provided nothing of value to armbian. Well at least those involved in the whole TV boxes stuff now can honestly say that you shouldn't buy this one if someone asks for advice which TV box he should buy (and if you want something which works without much pain it's a good idea to do your research first and then buy).

3 hours ago, TooMuchCensorshipRequired said:

But why then get's my thread just locked now after 15 replies and not directly deleted?

Why should it get deleted? Maybe cause it's not about censorship here? If this would be about censorship we would have deleted your account all your posts and it would look like you were never here. That's censorship.. Locking a discussion where everything is said and all needed persons made clear that support for it wont happen isn't. It's just keeping the forum somehow readable. Tagging randomly people to waste their time as well is just bad taste. If Igor thinks that someone acted not the way it is acceptable he would already made this clear. Moderator rights already got revoked if someone didn't had a common sense how he should act like.. Was everything perfect ofc not -  or at least I would maybe solved things different, but mistakes happen and from what I saw no major mistake happened.. You got your thread back after things clarified even the restrictions got revoked. The only stuff which is 'censored' from you is where you entered a thread which was used by proved spammers to get the first mod approval just to bloat the forum after its with spam IMO that whole thread can go to trash cause it doesn't add any value to armbian but let others decide that. And your answers there honestly were just a try to make people angry so that you get a reaction nothing of value for ambian as well.. just another thread which wastes peoples time.

So if you really wanna do some research (this here got the research tag removed by myself cause it's ranting not research) you could spend some time to get something out of your paperweight and see how far you get. likely this time is better spent as starting another discussion about random claims and insults to people here. Even when I think balbes is right and this box is a waste of time, it might be a good one to learn things on your own instead of pushing other people to do the work for you. And even when not.. at least you only wasted your time and not everyone else' time.

7 hours ago, chwe said:

I suppose you change your nick immediately to something else.

I did. Hopefully this one doesn't bother you to much. I'm not very creative with usernames you can see...

Thank's for the writeup @chwe I really appreciate it as I wasn't aware of a couple of things. For example that @balbes150 is the lonely warrior about tv boxes and decides about what tv box the community is allowed to talk (or not in my case)

7 hours ago, chwe said:

Was everything perfect ofc not

Still I feel not comfortable in this forum as the main reason I signed up was to post this thread and get some research done about this tv box (and maybe other owners to hook on the thread) but as it is closed now maybe it's time to move on and don't waste my time here with armbian and this (for me) somehow toxic community

No one likes to feel they were censored.

3 minutes ago, ChangeYouNickImmediately said:

Still I feel not comfortable in this forum as the main reason I signed up was to post this thread and get some research done about this tv box (and maybe other owners to hook on the thread) but as it is closed now maybe it's time to move on and don't waste my time here with armbian and this (for me) somehow toxic community

feel free

5 minutes ago, ChangeYouNickImmediately said:

I did. Hopefully this one doesn't bother you to much. I'm not very creative with usernames you can see...

even the last one didn't bother me.. but in case you want that people take you serious something *less creative* might work better.. ;) explore your creativity where it's worth it and that might not be forum name nicknames..

19 minutes ago, ChangeYouNickImmediately said:

For example that @balbes150 is the lonely warrior about tv boxes and decides about what tv box the community is allowed to talk (or not in my case)

well that could be a field of your research not? How much he contributed to get armbian running on all those tv boxes no other dev even looks at. I don't think this subforum would even exist without him maintaining it more or less on his own. If you show up again with actual research done not only trying to convince others that they should do the research for you write me a pm an I'll happily reopen your thread.

49 minutes ago, ChangeYouNickImmediately said:

move on and don't waste my time here with armbian

it's good to value your own time and how you spend it, therefore upon proven otherwise, I just decided to no longer waste my time in answering to your posts..

14 hours ago, ChangeYouNickImmediately said:

Or why does have one person in this forum the right to tell what's interesting for the community or not?

Because this "one person" is responsible for the performance of a special version of Armbian for TV boxes and knows for sure that this shitty model will not work properly with Armbian, and will require those who buy it for use with Armbian to spend more money (obviously more than if they bought another model with a normal configuration of iron), in order to somehow make this stuff work. And buyers will regularly distract and spend forum resources to ask the same questions about why this shit doesn't work. Neither any justification, they say that this model can be used for other systems, not relevant here, want to discuss the launch of the other systems on this shit, use the appropriate forums. Unlike you, other users regularly ask questions on different TV boxes about the possibility of using them, and no one behaves so aggressively, trying to impose a discussion of this shit on everyone. They get an answer (by the way, not only from me, but also from other experienced users), about the suitability of using a particular equipment, and then decide what to do, without hysterics and screams on the forum, if they were told that the selected device is not recommended to take.

In conclusion:

- you allowed someone to attack you - You allowed that - You could have simply ignore the post

- by allowing this offense and reacting on it, you spent energy and minutes if not hours  of your valuable time !

- you can close a negative webbrowser tab, take a deep breath and count to ten. Stand up, stretch take a deep breath and do what you like :). But use your time wisely, it won't come back. These minutes/hours are gone :(

Now create a .txt file on your desktop. Copy these lines in it and next time you feel attacked, re-read it  or paste it in the forum instead for others before you close the tab.