Tinkerboard S - Searching for Debian Stretch Image

bennySB

Hi bennySB and welcome to the forums.

What sort of "problems with my RPI-RF-MOD"?

And what lead you to think this is related to latest release? You had it working before? Or?

Edited by TRS-80
say hello

Hi there, 

sorry for my short initial thread. 

Right, i've got my Tinkerboard S running since 2 years with armbian stretch + openhab 2 + pivccu3. 

Last Saturday i thought it would be a good idea to Update the Release to Debian Buster. I edited the sourcelist and make the Update, anything seems to be okay. 

So I wanted to make a clean install with Buster and flashed the emmc with the actaul Release Version of Buster minimal, after this the RPI-RF-MOD Modul didn't Start anymore. 

This is the reason for me to make a last Test with an armbian stretch Release. 

1 hour ago, bennySB said:

This is the reason for me to make a last Test with an armbian stretch Release. 

Kernel is talking with the hardware. Armbian deals with single board computers where things are somehow different - its bridge between embedded and desktop world ...

We usually provide two kernels per hardware in many (any supported if you build image on your own) Debian derived user-land combination you want: Stretch, Buster, Jessie, Xenial, Bionic, ...

1 hour ago, bennySB said:

RPI-RF-MOD Modul didn't Start anymore.

This can surely be fixed on any variant, but as I said ... we have some troubles with securing matched headers atm. 

8 hours ago, bennySB said:

Last Saturday i thought it would be a good idea to Update the Release to Debian Buster. I edited the sourcelist and make the Update, anything seems to be okay. 

So I wanted to make a clean install with Buster and flashed the emmc with the actaul Release Version of Buster minimal, after this the RPI-RF-MOD Modul didn't Start anymore. 

If I am understanding you correctly:

• upgrading dist in place -> everything still works
  • re-flashing emmc as clean install -> now your RPI-RF-MOD doesn't work

This may be dumb question, but did you re-install whatever software, settings, etc. needed to make that RPI-RF-MOD work, back on top of your fresh clean install?

Igor obviously knows a lot more than me, so maybe his reply above is already more directly addressing your issue.

Hi together, 

last evening i've tested IT again. Thie time i've got the actual Release Armbian_20.02.0-rc1 and the old one 5.77 (Debian Stretch). 

With the old Version anything is working. 

To run the GPIO Modul (RPI-RF-MOD) i used in the past pivccu3 https://github.com/alexreinert/piVCCU

After the failure Unser Armbian 20.02.0 i've tested IT with debmatic https://github.com/alexreinert/debmatic with the same result. 

Both of them uses the same devicetree. 

Under Armbian 5.77 both methods are working. 

Now i don't know from where the failure is coming. Can i help you to find it to make armbian better than it is? 

10 minutes ago, bennySB said:

Can i help you to find it to make armbian better than it is? 

Write down exact (copy/paste) procedure and I will try to see if I can fix it.

Hi,

the Steps of my Installation are:

1. Clean Install on the emmc of armbian with Etcher
  2. Update the System with apt update && apt upgrade -y
  3. Install debmatic with this Manual, the Steps are:
    1. Adding the debmatic apt Repositories
      1. wget -q -O - https://www.debmatic.de/debmatic/public.key | sudo apt-key add -

2. sudo bash -c 'echo "deb https://www.debmatic.de/debmatic stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debmatic.list'

3. sudo apt update

2. Install the Kernel Header

1. sudo apt install build-essential bison flex libssl-dev

2. sudo apt install `dpkg --get-selections | grep 'linux-image-' | grep '\sinstall' | sed -e 's/linux-image-\([a-z0-9-]\+\).*/linux-headers-\1/'`

3. Install the kernel modules

1. sudo apt install pivccu-modules-dkms

4. Install the Device-Tree Patches (relevant for GPIO modules like my RPI-RF-MOD)

1. sudo apt install pivccu-devicetree-armbian

5. Restart

1. sudo reboot

6. Installation off debmatic

1. sudo apt install debmatic

After the Installation of debmatic the Service starts and the LED on the RPI-RF-MOD lights up.

I´ve tested some Images of armbian and can say the following:

• Armbian_5.77_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.33
    • works well
  • Armbian_5.95_Tinkerboard_Debian_buster_next_4.19.69_minimal
    • works well
  • Armbian_20.02.0-rc1_Tinkerboard_buster_current_5.4.14_minimal
    • doesn't work

I just tested version 5.95 and noticed that it also works with debian buster. So I think it has something to do with the kernel version, 4.19 works and 5.4 not.

I hope this helps to find the bug.

9 hours ago, bennySB said:

it has something to do with the kernel version, 4.19 works and 5.4 not.

Yes, most likely - your process seems alright, especially if you get it working somewhere. Bleeding edge kernels always have issues which is why we maintain older kernels. Simply use 4.19.y and check here and there if this is fixed. I don't know for any better way. 

9 hours ago, bennySB said:

I hope this helps to find the bug.

It helps to know that bug exists and that most likely has nothing to do with our work. Fixing the bug is something completly different since its 100% our cost and its yet another non critical issue on the huge list. Linux kernel is a work of thausands of people, big corporation, while our resorces are only this https://github.com/armbian/build/graphs/contributors?from=2019-12-01&to=2020-01-29&type=c