Orange PI Lite2 no more 1920x1080 - kernel 5.5.x

dgm78

Hi!

I use this board since jun/2019 with Armbian 5.90 and kernel 5.1.15 (all OK except HDMI audio). In these 6 months tried to update kernel image few times, 5.2.x some months ago and now 5.5.0, but not more 1920x1080 support, the maximum is 1280x1024.  Xrandr not show as supported mode anymore, whats happen? This is related to u-boot? I think can not read EDID, because no monitor model name is shown.

Another question is, now in 5.5.x I can see HDMI audio device, but still can't listen, what left to be developed?

19 hours ago, Werner said:

Did you try 5.4.x inbetween? 5.5 is currently dev branch which - as the name states - is the development branch and does not come with official support while the current branch does.

Yes... Not related to u-boot too, maybe related to missing configuration on the kernel..

I don't have luck with 1920x1080 on opi lite 2 as well on kernel 5.10.x Hirsute and Buster.

The best it offers is 1024x768.

I tried xfce and kde plasma, and i guess it's the same resolution in CLI mode.

Have anyone had any luck?

@jernej , you seem like a man who could know more about this.

Edit:

Comment from @Fenn in this thread below helped me to bump up resolution to 1920x1080 on opi lite 2 by adding next line in the /boot/armbianEnv.txt

extraargs=drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/1920x1080.bin video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60

On 7/16/2021 at 5:56 PM, forever_ noob said:

@jernej , you seem like a man who could know more about this

Yes, I do :)

In short, if you only have 1024x768 resolution, that means that board was unable to read EDID data from monitor (it holds info which resolutions are supported by monitor and a few other things). It's a bit weird that this doesn't work. I would try with different HDMI cable and if your cable is long, I would try with a short one. It's also possible that DDC lines are fried due to ESD. Of course it could also be a driver bug, but I have never observed such issue on my boards.

I've tried on a TV and dell monitor with the same result.

In either case i can only guess where the issue is,maybe the H6 soc isn't receiving EDID, forcing the resolution works.

@jernej FYI, LE detects all fine as it should be, even resolutions above HD on the same board using the same TV and dell monitor.

I found the culprit. Patch https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/archive/sunxi-5.13/board-h6-orangepi-lite2-fix-missing-all.patch messes up HDMI node, which then doesn't properly enable DDC lines and then in turn, HDMI driver can't read EDID.

@Igor any reason for above patch to be so big? OPi Lite2 is pretty well supported in 5.13. Only nodes which are not present in mainline are spi0, usb3phy and dwc3. Patch can be much smaller...

I guess the reason for that is that nobody paid close attention across kernel releases if parts of this patch are still necessary. Feel free to create PR and throw out anything that become unnecessary. Any help is highly appreciated.

@jernej@Igor

I've bumped opi lite 2 to Kernel 5.13

I've removed extraargs=drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/1920x1080.bin video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 from the

/boot/armbianEnv.txt

Screen resolution works on boot, it's 1900x1080, lightdm asks for password and after that i get blank screen.

Second boot i see u-boot stuff but it doesn't ask for password and screen is blank when it should start DE.

Audio doesn't work, HDMI audio gets detected:

root@orangepilite2:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sun9ihdmi [sun9i-hdmi], device 0: SUN9I-HDMI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [SUN9I-HDMI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

...but there's no sound and some apps using audio are crashing.

Jack also starts and all that, all looks fine but no sound.