Rockpro64 no hdd sleep over sata

Mathias

Hi!

On the Rockpro64, with the latest Amrbian dev kernel (5.4.0-rc1-rockchip64 updated on 19th of January), the sata hard drive connected to PCIe through the pine store adapter does not go to sleep anymore. It is properly set with hdparm and a udev rule, it used to work fine with the dev kernel before the 19th of January update. Now, if I issue a sleep commd (hdpram -y /dev/sda) it goes to sleep properly but not by itself after the 5 minutes inactivity I have set up.

Mathias

I have tried OpenSeaChest, but this makes no difference (compared to using hdparm to set up power management parameters). I set the disk to spin down after 25s and it does not... Right now, I have to use a cron job to put it in standby every half an hour (since I only use this disk to do backups, it does not need to wake up beside in the middle of the night where the cron job does not run).

On 3/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, Mathias said:

I have tried OpenSeaChest, but this makes no difference (compared to using hdparm to set up power management parameters). I set the disk to spin down after 25s and it does not... Right now, I have to use a cron job to put it in standby every half an hour (since I only use this disk to do backups, it does not need to wake up beside in the middle of the night where the cron job does not run).

sudo nano /etc/hdparm.conf

#Disk1
  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-YOURDISK {
  # mult_sect_io = 16
  # write_cache = off
  # dma = on
  spindown_time = 240
  }

#Disk2
  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-YOURDISK {
  # mult_sect_io = 16
  # write_cache = off
  # dma = on
  spindown_time = 240
  }

240 = 20mins - It works at my setup, i did't try lower spindown time.

Some drives can bee spun down with hd-idle. change HD_IDLE_OPTS value, then start and activate hd-idle.service. let me know if it works. Thanks.

@soerenderfor Sorry for my late reply (homeoffice with kids is not the easiest way of debugging a system that I also use as a dns proxy). Yes, it now works. Basically, as I now understand it, I had been relying on hdparm setting parameters to the disk and the disk keeping them between reboots. I did not realize that there is a hdparm.conf file... So now that I have written my parameters into hdparm.conf, it does behave the way I have configured it (initially with a spin-down tiome of 24 (so 120 seconds), now 60 (so 5 minutes)). Thanks a lot for your help!!