Rockchip news

Jack953

7 hours ago, Jack953 said:

opensource and android-free, but no info at the moment

I am (very) sceptical about when its about radio. Any kind. Perhaps its another marketing idea - if it runs on Linux = "opensource"? :)

7 hours ago, Jack953 said:

5.6 Media Updates Bring Improvements For Rockchip Users

Patches are out there and I was already trying to bring this feature to the 5.4.y ... 

9 hours ago, Igor said:

I am (very) sceptical about when its about radio. Any kind.

Me 3.

9 hours ago, Igor said:

Perhaps its another marketing idea - if it runs on Linux = "opensource"? :)

Exactly.

Even Librem 5 had to go with proprietary baseband radio, best they could do was truly isolate it from the OS and make sure the GNU/Linux based OS is actually running the show. And they raised a lot of money and support (and did and still are spending a lot of time) to do that, which I think is just about the current state of the art as regards Freedom.

Now that I have actually read the articles...

17 hours ago, Jack953 said:

Very interesting is the 4G LTE module if completely opensource and android-free, but no info at the moment...

Is this something you read in either linked article, or comments? Because if so, I must have missed it...

Or is this just your wishful thinking (it is mine too, FWIW)?

Another note, the Rockchip product announcement does state that the "Commercial, Auto and Industrial Grade chipset support 10 years long term supply" which may factor in to choosing to support or not, when the time comes to start having those discussions...

20 minutes ago, TRS-80 said:

And they raised a lot of money and support

Because most of people just believe (BS) they will get opensource stuff this way :) But we know this won't happen :( Well supported Android is also opensource on the level those guys operate ... I have no intention to change to X crap OS unless it will be build on top of free firmware. Which its no way it will be. Not so quick and cheap.

31 minutes ago, TRS-80 said:

Librem 5

And all others. They are just cashing in.