Rockpro64, test of different parts.

Mathias

We talk about test of different parts. 

It was orginal one topic but split. The other is https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12936-how-to-control-fan-on-rockpro64

@deathisunknown Which kernel are you using? 5.3.xxx?

Until this week end, I was using Ayufan's kernel in order to have ats working (I have the nas box with a harddrive so I want to have some ventilation). I've switched to Armbian's current kernel (5.3.xxx, I don't remember the exact subversion) and noticed that the fan would not spin. Then I tried Armbian's dev kernel (5.4.0-rc1) and my fan works fine. I stumbled upon this thread in the mean time, but since as I remember the latest current kernel got compiled in November, it would not have this change included. On the other hand, I did not call "modprobe" while (quickly) testing the "current" kernel so It could have been there but I missed it...

@soerenderfor with my Armbian dev kernel (ie 5.4.0-rc1-rockchip64), if I do 'cat /sys/devices/platform/pwm-fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1' I get a number (30 right now: I use ATS with a minimum speed of 30). So for me, it works with the dev kernel. I am also using the original nas case with the original fan and the medium or tall heatsink. Most of the time, it does nothing so I leave the fan on 30 as a minimum and it ramps up if things get busy. I usually have cpu temperatures around 38-40C too (I use the hard drives for backups, so the system gets to work more at night and then I want to make sure that there is always some ventilation to keep the drives cool enough even if the cpu does not get too hot).

55 minutes ago, Mathias said:

@soerenderfor I have this PCIe -> Sata adapter: https://store.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-pci-e-to-dual-sata-ii-interface-card (and lspci gives me: SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)).

Thanks.

I'm working on a list of SATA controllers that works. I was wondering have you tested the controller on different kernels etc?

Do you have had any problems with the SATA controller?

@soerenderfor My ASM1062 sata controller works fine, I have used it for 5 months now with a few different kernels (Ayufan's 5.3 kernel, Armbian's 5.4 and Armbian's 5.3).

The only problems that I've had are related to power delivery: with one hdd, everything works fine. With one hdd on sata and one ssd one usb3, no problems. But with one hdd and one ssd on sata, major filesystem corruptions on the ssd more or less at random. This really mirrors the issues I had with some ssd drawing too much power off the usb3 port. So I understood it as yet another voltage regulation problem: on average, the ssd fits within what the voltage regulator can deliver. But every now and then, it draws a little more, the voltage regulator can not keep up and lets the voltage drop too much and the ssd stops working because the voltage is below a given threshold, leading to a possibly massive filesystem corruption (if the ssd was shuffling files around, it'd be the worst time to suddenly loose power). Of course, the whole things still fits within USB3's specs...

So, my take remains: SBCs like the rockpro64 are great little beasts but there is no good voltage regulator to be seen anywhere, so you can not expect a usb or now even sata device that works in the traditional pc world to certainly work in the sbc world...

@Mathias yeah some SSD is very very sensitive about V.

Thanks for very informative reply. I do have some questions if it is okay with you? I hope :D So here you go. Is it 3.5" or 2.5" you have connected? And how many A is your PSU on?

Can you recall if the errors only happend if you had something connected to the USB?

And only in the combination of SSD disk?

I did get a box full of rockpro64 and some NAS cases. I am actually very pleased by the result the board make. If i look away from the standard SATA controller ;-)

@soerenderfor The HDD is a Western Digital Red (sata III, 4T, 3.5": WD40EFRX-68WT0N0). The SSD is a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB either directly connected in sata or through a JMicron JMS567 enclosure. If both drives are connected to the sata adapter (and nothing on usb), I get filesystem corruptions at random intervals (ie it looks like a power failure). If the HDD is on sata and the SSD on usb3, everything works fine (as for the last 5 months). My power supply is the 12V, 5A from the pine store. I also had major power issues in the past only using a Samsung 840 Pro in the same JMicron enclosure connected to usb3 (and without any sata adapter connected to the system). It would work fine for a few hours/days and then I would have a major filesystem corruption (where the only practical option was to restore everything from backups since most of the directory structure and files names had been lost). And by the way, I use the system headless and I don't have any wifi/bt card.

So the power supply should be able to deliver enough power for these two disks and the main board (it could in theory go all the way to 60W!) but somehow, the power delivery to either usb3 or sata is limited...

@soerenderfor  i guess you have to test with an ssd, not "just" hdds: the WD hdd draws 700mA while the Samsung 860 draws a maximum of 1.2A and the 840 Pro up to 1.4A (and in fact it seems that this maximum is very unregularly reached, leading to the observed behavior: it works for hours and then hell breaks through...)

@chwe i doubt this is related: my board is from 04.2019 and if i don't use more than one hdd on the pcie, it works fine...

1 hour ago, Mathias said:

i guess you have to test with an ssd, not "just" hdds: the WD hdd draws 700mA while the Samsung 860 draws a maximum of 1.2A and the 840 Pro up to 1.4A (and in fact it seems that this maximum is very unregularly reached, leading to the observed behavior: it works for hours and then hell breaks through...)

Hi, i forgot to mention a Samsung Portabel T5 500GB is connected to USB-C, sorry i forgot. And the 2x 3.5" (4TB) & (8TB). I did start the test some time ago. Thanks.

@chwe Oops, I'd never looked at the specs sheet. I've always assumed that the numbers written on the disk itself were the max. consumption. I also did not understand that it was drawing both 5V and 12V (I though it was one or the other one). So, it takes up to 21W. But even if you add the board itself and the ssd (this one has for sure a low peak power, max 4W (from the spec sheet), the PSU should still have enough margin (my psu is not even 1 year old). I understand 21W is already consistent, but still way off what one could expect in a PC...

19 hours ago, soerenderfor said:

@Mathias - I have run some tests now. With a Samsung Portabel T5 500GB connected to USB-C,  1x 4TB WD Red NAS HDD and 1x 8TB WD Red NAS HDD. I got 2 or 3 random reboots. I did wirte 10TB down, and did backup 2TB or so. Not sure why the reboots. CPU & HDD temp was acceptable.

and now power your board and your plates with an old atx PSU and repeat the tests to ensure it's not a powering issue. Sure not the setup you want but an easy way to nail down powering issues. Having 2 plates and a SSD uses a lot of juice.

The CPU will not overheat as long as something doesn't go terrible wrong. Thermal throtteling should avoid it and performance should go down the drain but it needs "a lot of heat" until the board resets due to temperature issues.

btw. maybe we should split this thread, one part is related pwm fans the other part is likely related to powering..