[RK3399] Orange Pi "fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: No medium found"

stf

i have a RK3399 and a samsung-860-pro-512gb when i boot with this ssd connected using this official cable (which was recommended for this model by the orange pi manufacturer), i get this in dmesg:

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

but when i do `fdisk /dev/sda` i get `fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: No medium found`

when i put this ssd in my laptop, it is working correctly. i also soldered an alternive sata cable where the 12V power was connected instead of the 5V, don't remember exactly how, but that didn't work either.

@stf,

Where you originally posted this was in a discussion whether or not to even bring the board in question up, which is not a support threat. Since your board is still Unsupported for now, I have moved your post to it's own topic in the P2P sub-forum.

thanks, the reason why i posted in that thread, was that there was pictures of someone using an ssd on the sata port and apparently it was working. but yeah, otherwise it was off-topic there.

@Igor highlighting you since you had a picture of a working setup in

and you mention:

SATA port is operating normally (when detected):

could it be that it is not detected in my case correctly? is it possible that maybe the kernel doesn't load a kernel module for the drive?

since the drive works in my laptop, would it make sense to try another ssd with opi rk3399, i'm not sure. also in case anyone wonders, this opi is not underpowered, i'm feeding it with a 10A chieftec powersupply.

thanks a lot for any insights.

You are using one of the first builds which could be the problem.

But SATA bridge is up:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 174c:1153 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2115 SATA 6Gb/s bridge

which means that probably you have troubles with powering the drive, cable is bad, or:

On 2/7/2020 at 8:16 PM, stf said:

i also soldered an alternive sata cable where the 12V power was connected instead of the 5V

Perhaps you burn your drive. Try another one and/or try images with kernel 5.4.y

3 hours ago, Igor said:

You are using one of the first builds which could be the problem.

But SATA bridge is up:

i guess this explains why i have a /dev/sda but no medium behind it?

3 hours ago, Igor said:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 174c:1153 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2115 SATA 6Gb/s bridge

how can i upgrade a build? i was updating using apt update/upgrade.

which means that probably you have troubles with powering the drive, cable is bad, or:

Perhaps you burn your drive. Try another one and/or try images with kernel 5.4.y

nah, i actually built a sata cable where the 12V was fed to the correct pins on the sata power connector. that drive never was in danger and is still working in other devices.

22 minutes ago, stf said:

how can i upgrade a build? i was updating using apt update/upgrade.

Upgrade from preview images might work well ... Once you have updated boot loader on eMMC, you can boot Linux from SD card without a problem.

strange, when doing armbian-config, i'm offered the 3 kernels below:

linux-image-rk3399=5.98  4.4.192-rk3399
linux-image-rk3399=5.95  4.4.190-rk3399
linux-image-rk3399=5.90  4.4.179-rk3399

according to 'uname -a' i am already on on 4.4.192-rk339, but i choose that anyway since it has the highest version number. after reboot /dev/sda is there but "no medium found" when doing fdisk on it.

i did another armbianmonitor log:

http://ix.io/2boO

i'm a dork, i actually upgraded and i do have 19.11.3 installed now, the kernel is the same though.

but as said the disk still shows the same problems:

/dev/sda is there but "no medium found" when doing fdisk on it.

bumping this question, since i still have no solution. does anyone have success with connecting an ssd over the sata port and is willing to compare our setups, maybe figuring out the difference explains my problems. thanks

6 hours ago, stf said:

bumping this question

I have issued two private warnings today and block two people for a day that did the same as you did. Try to find another way to keep this alive https://forum.armbian.com/terms 

6 hours ago, stf said:

since i still have no solution.

and remember to check support terms:

https://github.com/armbian/build#support