[workaround] [S905X3] Retaining Android yet booting Armbian from SD card

dgm78

Hi!

I want to still have original Android in my S905X3 and use some space to Armbian root, but boot can still by SD card.

I cant see partitions by fdisk, gdisk or parted. Partitions are managed in DTB?!

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

No ! But if it is really a NAND device, NAND is NOT supported by any Mainline/Modern kernel ...

If I create one partition at end will be possible? The box have 32Gb and Android may use 2 to 3G, so I think to create like 8Gb at end.

31 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Is it a NAND or eMMC ? what " ls -l /dev/mmc* " reports back ?

So I think is eMMC because I have /dev/mmcblk1 and /dev/mmcblk0 (SD)... But can't see Android partitions... Tried fdisk and gdisk...

17 minutes ago, dgm78 said:

Does anyone can help me?

Seeing that :

Partition Table : unknown

I'm running out of ideas !

Maybe you can backup the first 2MB and share it somewhere, I will than take a look ...

dd if=/dev/mmcblk2 of=backup2mb.img bs=1024 count=2048

• TRS-80 changed the title to [S905X3] Retaining Android yet booting Armbian from SD card
1 hour ago, TRS-80 said:

@dgm78,

I updated your post topic to something I though was more relevant, but please let me know if I missed the mark.

I also moved it to P2P, as this is clearly afield of what is supported in Armbian.

OK, Thanks.

5 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Seeing that :

Partition Table : unknown

I'm running out of ideas !

Maybe you can backup the first 2MB and share it somewhere, I will than take a look ...

dd if=/dev/mmcblk2 of=backup2mb.img bs=1024 count=2048

@martinayotte, please check the image: www.dgmelet.com/emmc2mb.img

1 hour ago, dgm78 said:

is possible my problem with partitions related to HS200 kernel support?

No, this HS200 is related to the access speed of eMMC, for which you don't have any issues.

For your emmc2mb.img, I can't figure out the partition type too...

Do you really need to keep this Android stuff ? Maybe you can keep a full backup if your wish, and than erase the whole thing to install only Armbian on the eMMC .

Just now, martinayotte said:

No, this HS200 is related to the access speed of eMMC, for which you don't have any issues.

For your emmc2mb.img, I can't figure out the partition type too...

Do you really need to keep this Android stuff ? Maybe you can keep a full backup if your wish, and than erase the whole thing to install only Armbian on the eMMC .

It's a good idea... please help me with two basic questions. How to backup only used space, or need to make a full backup 32Gb and compress it?

I do not need anything from android to boot SD?! I'm asking because the first time I setup the update app pointing to aml script (needed for the first time?)?

Thanks for your help.

2 minutes ago, dgm78 said:

How to backup only used space, or need to make a full backup 32Gb and compress it?

If you attach a USB-Storage which is bigger than resulting backup, you can compress it on the fly :

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
dd if=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=100M | gzip > /mnt/backup-android.img.gz

6 minutes ago, dgm78 said:

I do not need anything from android to boot SD?!

Normally no since Armbian has it own u-boot ! But we can't prove it unless we try it out by copying the SDCard over eMMC with "nand-sata-install" ...

• TRS-80 changed the title to [workaround] [S905X3] Retaining Android yet booting Armbian from SD card