Armbian for Amlogic S905X3

Sergey2k

@Tony

Thanks, I am able to boot using 8GB USB stick on A95X F3 air box using meson-sm1-sei610.dtb

Ethernet works fine but there is audio , blue tooth/Wifi does not work

armbianmonitor - u   => http://ix.io/2pat

Edited by RMG
add wifi to not working list

I am trying to install Armbian on Eachlink X3 Mini. I use image Armbian_20.05.6_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.7.2_desktop_20200612.img with dtb file meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb (this is what I used for my X96 Air box).

It booted well from usb. However, ethernet does not work :(
Is there any way to fix this ethernet issue?

Edited by vanngocan

On 4/9/2020 at 11:19 PM, gusnau said:

I'm running Armbian_20.05.1_Arm-64_buster_current_5.6.2_20200408.img on a X96 Max Plus 4GB, I modified those sections which you changed in the dts file, ethernet is working now, but only 100Mbps. If using the original meson-sm1-sei610.dtb file, I can see through my router that LAN is connected on 1Gbps, but no IP address is issued.

Any suggestion to make ethernet working on 1Gbps?

Hi mate,
I'm using x96 max plus with s905x3 too... But always got error like this.
103825643_292901061883590_20029661516763
I've tried .dtb that already shared from other member here, but always got this error. 
Using extracted dtb from my firmware, can't work too.
Please explain to my step by step, that I can follow to install armbian on x96 max+ s905x3
Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Ulwan Irfandi said:

Hi mate,
I'm using x96 max plus with s905x3 too... But always got error like this.

Hello,

I think you have this error with Android update method !!!

Not possible to boot with toothpick method on X96 Max ?

Edited by Armin

11 hours ago, vanngocan said:

I am trying to install Armbian on Eachlink X3 Mini. I use image Armbian_20.05.6_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.7.2_desktop_20200612.img with dtb file meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb (this is what I used for my X96 Air box).

meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb solves some ethernet issues of meson-sm1-sei610.dtb (Eth0 visible but no connection).

What'is the result of ifconfig command ?

Please to try other dtb file !

Edited by Armin

2 hours ago, ThatUnknownGuy said:

Is there a way to enable WiFi on X96 Air?

I can see the wireless networks via

armbian-config

but I can't connect.

I have also an X96 Air (4/32 Go) and with armbian-config, I'm not able to see the wireless network:

my view

And into my report with "armbianmonitor -u", I can see a warning with the Bluetooth / Wireless chipset (rtl8822cs):

my report

What's your Bluetooth / Wireless chipset ?

Which dtb file did you select ?

Thanks in advance

15 hours ago, Armin said:

I have also an X96 Air (4/32 Go) and with armbian-config, I'm not able to see the wireless network:

my view

And into my report with "armbianmonitor -u", I can see a warning with the Bluetooth / Wireless chipset (rtl8822cs):

my report

What's your Bluetooth / Wireless chipset ?

Which dtb file did you select ?

Thanks in advance

I'm using the meson-sm610.dtb on a 2GB/16GB X96 Air.

This is my output http://ix.io/2pos

When I do armbian-config and access the WiFi section it finds me my network 

C7xSC2R.png

1 hour ago, ThatUnknownGuy said:

I'm using the meson-sm610.dtb on a 2GB/16GB X96 Air.

This is my output http://ix.io/2pos

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm not sure what is your chipset: RTL871X / RTL8188F / rtl8189fs (anyway different than mine:  rtl8822cs) 

1 hour ago, Armin said:

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm not sure what is your chipset: RTL871X / RTL8188F / rtl8189fs (anyway different than mine:  rtl8822cs) 

Yea I found that weird.

It's also weird that ur X96 Air has a different chipset....

Another weird thing is that my X96 Airs had different bootscreens, some had the X96 Max for some reason 

On 6/16/2020 at 11:23 AM, vanngocan said:

@vanngocan Basing on my experience,  the dtb file meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb works well with TV box has Gigabit Ethernet.  You should check LAN speed of your TV box. If LAN speed is 100 Mbs, try to use dtb file meson-sm1-sei610.dtb or another one.

- I put the latest armbian focal with 5.7.2 kernel to sd card
- renamed the u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext
- box run well, shell colors all right
But after I installed the system to the emmc, the colours looks wierd again, green background on the linux shell. Can somebody help me what to do?

I renamed back th u-boot.ext to u-boot.sd, but it doesn't work.

13 minutes ago, Teddybee said:

- I put the latest armbian focal with 5.7.2 kernel to sd card
- renamed the u-boot.sd to u-boot.ext
- box run well, shell colors all right
But after I installed the system to the emmc, the colours looks wierd again, green background on the linux shell. Can somebody help me what to do?

I renamed back th u-boot.ext to u-boot.sd, but it doesn't work.

You didn't follow the instructions correctly.  The instructions say to "copy" the u-boot.sd file, not rename.  The install to emmc uses the u-boot.sd file so if it doesn't exist because you renamed it you would see the problems you are having.  Fix this situation on your sd card and redo the install to emmc.

16 hours ago, thaidt said:

@vanngocan Basing on my experience,  the dtb file meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb works well with TV box has Gigabit Ethernet.  You should check LAN speed of your TV box. If LAN speed is 100 Mbs, try to use dtb file meson-sm1-sei610.dtb or another one.

Thank you. I tried meson-sm1-sei610.dtb but it could not boot (stuck at green screen). I will try other dtb files. 

On 6/16/2020 at 11:02 PM, Armin said:

What'is the result of ifconfig command ?

I am sorry, I am now running Armbian from SD card, so I cannot show you the result of ifconfig.

Thank you anyway and I will try other dtb files.

Edited by vanngocan

I HEARD SOMEONE SAYING "DONT HAVE KEY BOARD"

Those who don't have key board, can RDP using mobile\tablet  and type, but first enable RDP from the armbian configuration under software, use any usb mouse.

I found on Android the RDP app from Microsoft connects well.

Those don't want desktop can use ssh as alternative to RDP.

Armbian in X96 Max+ (Almost Perfect)

Screenshot Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17iatyUGVZbK8R7TJ9b0h7gf1qe1QYb53/view

Thanks to Armbian Team, Finally I can Install Armbian in my lovely X96 Max+ almost perfectly.

Here's what I did:

- Download the image Arm-64_bionic_current from this link: https://yadi.sk/d/_rQgn_FosYuW0g/20.05/20200326

- Flash the downloaded image to an "MMC card" by using Balena Etcher : https://www.balena.io/etcher/

- From BOOT Partition, rename "u-boot.sd" to "u-boot.ext"

- From BOOT Partition, edit file "uEnv.txt" and make sure you are in this line "# aml s9xxx" (then edit the dtb to your preference. In my case I use "meson-g12a-x96-max-rmii". I think this is my best option after several trials)

- Then insert your "MMC card" into the slot.

- Use a tooth stick then find the AV jack hole to find the reset button inside the hole

- Plug in the adaptor to the cord while pressing the reset button using the tooth stick, until you can find Armbian Boot Screen

- For the first time, insert USER = root, PASSWORD = 1234

- Then follow the instruction and enter your user ID, password, etc.

- Once you are inside Armbian for the first time, open terminal and type :

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

- Then I would advise to install Flatpak and Gnome Software, to get the updated apps:

sudo apt install flatpak

sudo apt install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

- Then reboot your device.

- Now let's partially fix the graphics acceleration using panfrost (Thanks to Speakerguy, he was very helpful from this forum: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/wifi-on-x96-max/150193/10)

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-panfrost.conf

then insert this text:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Default Device"
    Driver      "modesetting"
    Option      "AccelMethod"    "glamor"     ### "glamor" to enable 3D acceleration, "none" to disable.
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AutoAddGPU" "off"
        Option "Debug" "dmabuf_capable"
EndSection

Section "OutputClass"
        Identifier "Panfrost"
        MatchDriver "meson"  # sun4i-drm  rockchip
        Driver "modesetting"
        Option "PrimaryGPU" "true"
EndSection

then press ctrl+o to save, then ctrl+x to exit

To be honest, although the 3D Acceleration is not working, but the graphics is much faster after applying this (Blender 2.79b runs smoothly even for editing meshes, but blender 2.83 is still too laggy)

- Then reboot your device

By using the methods I mentioned above, as you can see in my screenshot. I was able to run multiple applications at once without any issue at all (Terminal, HTop, Task Manager, File Manager, VLC, Firefox, Gnome Software, Audacity, Blender 2.79b, LibreCAD, QGIS, GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus, Darktable, RAWTherapee, all apps run perfectly in multi tasking window environment at once).

I also want to confirm that ethernet works perfectly, even usb tethering works as well. Lastly, my printer Epson L120 was detected instantly. Wow that's super cool!

However, I want to point out some of issues I encountered:

1. No Audio both HDMI and Audio Jack

2. No 3D Acceleration (Panfrost fix just partially fix the graphics acceleration issue)

3. No built-in Wifi (but USB wifi works perfectly)

4. No Infrared (Therefore, you have to un-plug and re-plug the adaptor to the cord after shut down. Whereas in Android, you can simply use infrared remote to turn-on and turn-off)

5. No Bluetooth

I hope that this is my complete review for Armbian in X96 Max+ Android Box. I also plan to make the video tutorial and post it on Youtube, so that everybody can benefit from this.

As for the issues, I hope somebody could help me to fix this issue.

Many thanks,

rna

Edited by rna

3 hours ago, rna said:

1. No Audio both HDMI and Audio Jack

For HDMI, may help you, alsamixer

"...The MM label below a channel indicates that the channel is muted, and 00 indicates that it is open.

Scroll to the Master and PCM channels with the ← and → keys and unmute them by pressing the m key.

Use the ↑ key to increase the volume and obtain a value of 0 dB gain..." ( from arch wiki)

But i use sm1-sei610.dtb

4 hours ago, rna said:

- From BOOT Partition, rename "u-boot.sd" to "u-boot.ext"

You should not rename the file but COPY it and then rename the copied file to "u-boot.ext". If you don't do it that way you will run into trouble when trying to flash the system to EMMC. 

4 hours ago, rna said:

- Now let's partially fix the graphics acceleration using panfrost (Thanks to Speakerguy, he was very helpful from this forum: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/wifi-on-x96-max/150193/10)

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-panfrost.conf

then insert this text:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Default Device"
    Driver      "modesetting"
    Option      "AccelMethod"    "glamor"     ### "glamor" to enable 3D acceleration, "none" to disable.
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AutoAddGPU" "off"
        Option "Debug" "dmabuf_capable"
EndSection

Section "OutputClass"
        Identifier "Panfrost"
        MatchDriver "meson"  # sun4i-drm  rockchip
        Driver "modesetting"
        Option "PrimaryGPU" "true"
EndSection

then press ctrl+o to save, then ctrl+x to exit

When you do the following

sudo apt install mesa-utils
glxgears -info

it outputs

GL_RENDERER   = llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0.1, 128 bits)
GL_VERSION    = 3.1 Mesa 20.0.4
GL_VENDOR     = VMware, Inc.

which shows that the software renderer is running.  Same for glmark2. And Supertuxkart also only runs at about 6-8 FPS. So, why should some programs be "partially" accelerated? TBO I am doubtful. I also did not read that panfrost is running on XFCE, yet.

I have followed the guide about hardware acceleration here and I can confirm that the panfrost driver still crashes the system when using Gnome and Wayland. I really hope that this will be fixed soon!

22 hours ago, uropb said:

For HDMI, may help you, alsamixer

"...The MM label below a channel indicates that the channel is muted, and 00 indicates that it is open.

Scroll to the Master and PCM channels with the ← and → keys and unmute them by pressing the m key.

Use the ↑ key to increase the volume and obtain a value of 0 dB gain..." ( from arch wiki)

But i use sm1-sei610.dtb

Thanks mate!!! This is awesome, I have change the dtb to "sm1-sei610.dtb" then open Alsamixer, I just figured it out that I have to tweak the mixer manually by unmuting and increasing the volume. Now my HDMI audio works perfectly, but the Audio Jack still does not work.

21 hours ago, TheMojoMan said:

For audio to work properly try the attached .dtb file which originates from this thread.

meson-sm1-sei610-2.dtb 46.19 kB · 2 downloads

I think I have fixed this issue by using @uropb fix.

6 hours ago, TheMojoMan said:

Panfrost is still not working after adding ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers repository, updating, upgrading and rebooting as suggested here. So, RK3399 seems to be supported well but with Amlogic S905X3 we still seem to be out of luck :(

I think we have to wait until the next release.

I also want to add my report.

I just figured it out, that my Armbian is randomly freeze, like every in 2-3 hours. Something that is strange is that, I can move my cursor but somehow I cannot click anything. Even I am able to enter TTY 1-6, but whenever I want to login I could not login to type "reboot". When I press ctrl+alt+f7 I will go back to the main window, but I could not click anything. Strange isn't it? Therefore I have to unplug my adaptor during this time. Is there any clever way to reboot without having to unplug my power? because I am afraid that this will break the hardware easily. FYI: reset button does not work in Linux.

Edited by rna

On 6/27/2020 at 7:13 PM, TheMojoMan said:

When you do the following

sudo apt install mesa-utils
glxgears -info

it outputs

GL_RENDERER   = llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0.1, 128 bits)
GL_VERSION    = 3.1 Mesa 20.0.4
GL_VENDOR     = VMware, Inc.

which shows that the software renderer is running.  Same for glmark2. And Supertuxkart also only runs at about 6-8 FPS. So, why should some programs be "partially" accelerated? TBO I am doubtful. I also did not read that panfrost is running on XFCE, yet.

I have followed the guide about hardware acceleration here and I can confirm that the panfrost driver still crashes the system when using Gnome and Wayland. I really hope that this will be fixed soon!

To correct myself:

I have found a comment by Alyssa Rosenzweig (lead developer of panfrost driver) here where she states that

"Panfrost does support X11 (those are old instructions)."

in reply to a post where someone states that in his understanding Panfrost only supports Wayland.

Finally, Panfrost is working on my X96 Max + :)

I have used todays build (Armbian_20.06.0_Arm-64_focal_current_5.7.6_20200630.img.xz) with the meson-sm1-sei610-2.dtb (see some posts ago) and then followed the instructions of the first post here. This is essentially the same procedure that @m][sko mentions in @NicoD's guide here (which did not work with the older Armbian image). In summary, after starting the system do the following

• sudo sh -c "echo 'PAN_MESA_DEBUG=bifrost' >> /etc/environment"
  • sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
  • sudo apt update
  • sudo apt upgrade
  • sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop -y
  • sudo reboot

And then you can try it with Gnome/Gnome on Xorg/Ubuntu or Ubuntu on wayland.

I will post details later when I did some more testing. Especially, I am interested if it works with Xfce.

Thanks to all the great people that made this possible!!! Especially to @balbes150 and Alyssa Rosenzweig and coworkers!

2 hours ago, fsb4000 said:

Now, I have Audio with meson-sm1-sei610-2.dtb, but still no luck with Panfrost :(

Great to see that audio now works for you!

@balbes150 just released a new image focussing on the GPU. I will start to test it in some minutes. Let's hope for the best!    →   did not manage to get Panfrost running with this image :(