Armbian for Amlogic S905X3

Sergey2k

Through meeting link I sent we can share desktop and work, run commands etc. Waited for you to join.

You have to join through your PC/ Laptop, No Ned to enable camera, just enable sound.

Today looks like some issue with Google hangout.

Enable RDP to your box and connect through your PC and share screen.

Let's connect some other day once hangout chat starts to work.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:39 PM, gcsuri said:

Salut,

J'ai créé un .dtb sur ma boîte x96-max basée sur meson-sm1. Ethernet fonctionne à 100 Mbps, le son fonctionne également. Copiez simplement dans / boot / dtb / amlogic / dir et éditez extlinux.conf dans la dernière version stable (noyau 5.8.5).

meson-sm1-x96-max.dtb 48,59 kB · 11 téléchargements

@gcsuri Thanks it works. I have 3 .dtb working, can someone tell me the difference of the three and which one do you recommend?

meson-sm1-x96-max.dtb meson-sm1-sei610-x96maxplus.dtb meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb

Did anyone successfully install Balbes150 20.09 on their S905X3?

each time it fails to boot after running install-aml.sh, but it works just fine from 20.08.

I just freshly re-installed Focal 20.08 w/ desktop on my X96 Air.

I had to use Amlogic Burn Card Maker with the X96 Air stock Android firmware to make a recovery SD card after 20.09 install failed.

@Uwu

I have successfully booted 20.09 from SD but I have not tried flashing it to the emmc. I will not try until someone reports it being successful. (I don't want to intentionally brick my box). 

Regarding 20.09. Sound over HDMI works again using the old dtb file without the fix!

The boot screen no longer flickers!

As soon as the desktop is reached however armbian switches into 1080p@30hz which my display doesn't support and it starts to flicker. The good news though is that now there is no more overscan and the "dot by dot" mode is no longer greyed out on the TV. 

1 hour ago, Bozza said:

@Uwu

I have successfully booted 20.09 from SD but I have not tried flashing it to the emmc. I will not try until someone reports it being successful. (I don't want to intentionally brick my box).

This is exactly the situation i found, boots to 20.09 just fine but once you install to the emmc, all goes wrong.

My device is an X96 Air (4gb RAM / 32gb eMMC / S905X3)

---I would advise caution installing a kernel later than 5.7.15 on S905X3 for now. ---

I just tried every Balbes150 Armbian build written to eMMC on my X96 Air. 5.7.15 is the latest that will boot from eMMC. I'm now booting from Armbian_20.08_Arm-64_focal_current_5.7.15_desktop.img

The following images had no problem booting from USB drive, but after running install-aml.sh, would be stuck in a boot loop, even X96 Air logo was missing:

• Armbian_20.08_Arm-64_focal_current_5.7.16_desktop.img
  • Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_focal_current_5.8.5_desktop.img
  • Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_buster_current_5.8.5.img

As my previous 20.08 install stopped booting as soon as I updated to kernel 5.7.16 with "apt update" & "apt upgrade", I believe this version and the following versions to be problematic for the time being.

I did notice, after upgrading my 20.08 system with "apt", the directories in /boot reflected the new kernel of 5.7.16, but the directories in /lib/modules reflected 5.7.15. Perhaps it is not fully installing?

Edit: I would recommend, if you have a working system for now, to run apt-mark hold linux-image-current-arm-64

After doing this on a fresh install of 20.08 Focal 5.7.15, I was able to run apt update & apt upgrade, and reboot back into the OS successfully. It seems that the kernel update is the only offending update, in that case.

It is funny how new kernel versions break some things, and yet fix things that have worked in older versions but have been broken in more recent versions.

5.8.5 for example fixes audio over HDMI for instance. It has been recently broken, but is now fixed. Will there be a kernel version where everything is fixed + where panfrost is stable? :)

On 9/6/2020 at 3:11 AM, Uwu said:

The following images had no problem booting from USB drive, but after running install-aml.sh, would be stuck in a boot loop, even X96 Air logo was missing:

• Armbian_20.08_Arm-64_focal_current_5.7.16_desktop.img
  • Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_focal_current_5.8.5_desktop.img
  • Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_buster_current_5.8.5.img

I installed Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_buster_current_5.8.5.img on my X96 Max+ and its booting up just fine for me.

boot_screen.png

The only issue I can't figure out how to fix is the HDMI refresh needs to be changed to 60hz because its using 30hz and that makes my TV garbled really bad.

So no one knows how I can change the refresh from 30Hz to 60Hz? Hard to believe with all these smart people here.

Also has anyone figure out how to get the Gigabit working for ethernet? 10/100 seems to work just fine just not the 1000

2 hours ago, sgrayban said:

So no one knows how I can change the refresh from 30Hz to 60Hz? Hard to believe with all these smart people here.

Also has anyone figure out how to get the Gigabit working for ethernet? 10/100 seems to work just fine just not the 1000

Hi,

you can set the refresh rate by video: options in the kernel parameter. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting

1G ethernet link is not available on some TV box regarding the driver (or the incomplete dtb definitions - who knows :) ).

I have the same issue with HDMI in Balbes 5.8.5 images.

HDMI switches to 30hz which makes the image garbled on my TV.

I can switch it manually to 60hz in the system settings which fixes the issue MOSTLY.

There are still problems with HDMI. Even in the other modes HDMI takes over ALL other HDMI inputs on my AVR. 

So even if I have switched on my sat box on HDMI 1 I can only see armbian even though it is connected to HDMI 3.

I have never seen anything like this. Is armbian growing a mind of its own and taking over? hehe.

I think there must be an issue with HDMI clocks, the implementation of the protocol or perhaps the implementation of CEC.

Edit: the exact same behaviour with HDMI can also be observed in LE with the mainline kernel

Edit2: So it turns out that it switches into 1080i@60hz which is the preferred display mode of this TV. For whatever reason it says that it switches into 30hz in the display settings and also inside Kodi in libreelec. Either way this particular mode glitches out badly in the mainline kernel 

On 9/9/2020 at 5:33 AM, sgrayban said:

What TV do you have? 

I think I figured the problem out. It isn't switching to 30hz. It is switching to 1080i@60hz which your tv should probably support, but for some reason the mainline kernel has issues with the interlaced mode with some TV models. I don't think it is related to the dtb. What TV box are you using?

If you run xrandr it will show you which display mode it really switched into. 

9 hours ago, Bozza said:

What TV do you have?

It's a LCD TV Insignia model NS-LCD19-09

What I need to fix is the console, the non GUI screen, video settings as that's all I need. Usually I can fix this in grub.conf but seeing this isn't possible I'm kinda lost.

1 hour ago, sgrayban said:

It's a LCD TV Insignia model NS-LCD19-09

What I need to fix is the console, the non GUI screen, video settings as that's all I need. Usually I can fix this in grub.conf but seeing this isn't possible I'm kinda lost.

xrandr --output DP-0-0 --mode 1280x720

11 minutes ago, Eduard said:

Hi! I've got a brand new S905x3 with 4 gb. I want to install the Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_buster_current_5.8.5.img on my Usb.

Should I remame the u-boot-s905 file to u-boot-s905.ext ?

Thanks

this is my working config for x96max2+ (s905x3  - 4G/64G):

extlinux/extlinux.conf:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

LABEL Armbian

LINUX /zImage

INITRD /uInitrd

FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb

APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

----------------------------------------------------------------------

and

rename u-boot-s905x2-s922 (740kb size) to u-boot.ext

u-boot-s905 will not work

regards

Edited by rforcen

On 9/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, sgrayban said:

I installed Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_buster_current_5.8.5.img on my X96 Max+ and its booting up just fine for me.

boot_screen.png

The only issue I can't figure out how to fix is the HDMI refresh needs to be changed to 60hz because its using 30hz and that makes my TV garbled really bad.

on my x96max+2 i have to extend the android gap in the install-aml.sh partition section to match the 1.5G android size.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:05 PM, Uwu said:

Did anyone successfully install Balbes150 20.09 on their S905X3?

each time it fails to boot after running install-aml.sh, but it works just fine from 20.08.

I just freshly re-installed Focal 20.08 w/ desktop on my X96 Air.

I had to use Amlogic Burn Card Maker with the X96 Air stock Android firmware to make a recovery SD card after 20.09 install failed.

just extend android gap to 1.5G in partition section of script,

----

parted -s "${DEV_EMMC}" mkpart primary fat32 1700M 2212M # 1.7G here but only 1.5G required

parted -s "${DEV_EMMC}" mkpart primary ext4 2213M 100%

---- complete patched script install-aml.sh

All you have to do is boot up with the usb drive again and run this command

mmc bootpart enable 1 1 /dev/mmcblk2

That will/should fix the booting issue. It did on mine.

7 minutes ago, rforcen said:

just extend android gap to 1.5G in partition section of script

That's not really helpful to newbies.

2 minutes ago, sgrayban said:

All you have to do is boot up with the usb drive again and run this command

mmc bootpart enable 1 1 /dev/mmcblk2

That will/should fix the booting issue. It did on mine.

That's not really helpful to newbies.

just added the complete patched script,

enjoy!

13 minutes ago, sgrayban said:

ok

in a more general form:

ANDROID_SIZE=1500 # size in MB of android image file
BOOT_SIZE=`echo $ANDROID_SIZE+512|bc`
BOOT_SIZE1=`echo $BOOT_SIZE+1|bc`

parted -s "${DEV_EMMC}" mkpart primary fat32 "$ANDROID_SIZE"M "$BOOT_SIZE"M
parted -s "${DEV_EMMC}" mkpart primary ext4 "$BOOT_SIZE1"M 100%