Cubieboard 2 - errors booting Armbian from SD card

bogdanw

Hello, I have lubuntu installed on Cubieboard 2's NAND and I want to test Armbian. 

I've downloaded Armbian_5.10_Cubieboard2_Ubuntu_trusty_3.4.112 and write the image on a SD card using 

sudo dd if=Armbian_5.10_Cubieboard2_Ubuntu_trusty_3.4.112.raw of=/dev/rdisk2s1 

But the cubieboard does't boot from the SD card, I get these error messages 

QaCk1vn.jpg

@bogdanw

please what is /dev/rdisk2s1? a Mac drive?

https://hiseasnet.ucsd.edu/wiki/display/hsnops/how+to+format+a+USB+drive+to+be+readable+by+a+Cisco+router

it looks you are writing the image to the 1st partition of the SD card? but it should be written on the whole SD card

sudo dd if=Armbian_5.10_Cubieboard2_Ubuntu_trusty_3.4.112.raw of=/dev/rdisk2

???

@bogdanw please what is /dev/rdisk2s1? a Mac drive?

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes, I'm using OSX. I've tried again with dev/rdisk2, but now it does't boot at all from SD. The monitor displays a "no signal" message. 

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes, I'm using OSX. I've tried again with dev/rdisk2, but now it does't boot at all from SD.

If you tried the first partition before then it was absolutely impossible that the image booted from SD card (since the bootloader lives before the 1st partition). Please have a look at your screenshot above (nandb -- you booted your lubuntu since there was no bootable system on the SD card) and in the user documentation:

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/documentation/user-faq.md#how-to-prepare-sd-card

Check with 'diskutil list' before which device is the right one and use 'bs=10m' instead (speeds up writing a little bit).

cb2 2012-09-09, single SD card version

power supply is a 3 A @5 V brick

microsoft mouse and kb on usb, typical monitor on hdmi

take sandisk ultra 16GB class10

card tests ok with h2testw

tried fedora 22, dd .img to /dev/sdb, disconnect-reconnect sd card, mount sdb3, dd appropriate uboot,

start cb2, system boots, lots of errors.

reaches right before presenting login, stops there.

blew compressed air into sd slot.

tried different sd card (kingston 8GB class4)

dd cb2 vanilla xenial armbian server .img to sandisk sdcard

cb2 insists on booting from nand, trying to mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 says no valid partition whatsoever

tried bs=1M, bs=10M.

tried different sdcard.

tried dd under windows 10 on desktop

tried dd under lubuntu on laptop

the linaro installation existing in nand boots fine. has about a page worth of errors in dmesg, but it boots, X and all.

second card tests ok with h2testw

wrote a script to check reading and writing to sd card, on the cb2, with dd and sha1, sha256 and md5

card works ok

not sure what else to try

does this work for you guys? I mean, you guys developing armbian, have you successfully booted this image on a cb2? Can you give it a try?

Unfortunately we don't have Cubieboard 2, so we can't debug booting issue on this board.

dd cb2 vanilla xenial armbian server .img to sandisk sdcard

cb2 insists on booting from nand

This is strange. If board boots from NAND while SD is inserted, then it means that SPL signature was not found on the card or SD failed to initialize.

trying to mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 says no valid partition whatsoever

So system booted from NAND detects SD card and detects partition table on it (since /dev/mmcblk0p1 is created)?

the only things left were either a wrong write or a wrong image

dd img to sdcard under linux

dd pipe to sha256sum, wrong

dd img to sdcard under windows, dd pipe it to sha256sum, the same wrong value

used win32diskimager, sha256 is correct, sdcard boots, i left it alone for for now to do its work

either i don't know how to use dd maybe some of the weird options like notrunc or whatever, or dd is dumb

now i'm going to play some obduction to calm down, i am angry at myself because i was almost certain your image was wrong... after all how could you develop for a board you don't even have? But I had more trust in you (because you are people) than i have in computers (because... computers...) and thankfully i insisted on checking as much as i could before i started pointing fingers

thank you for your work and if you need anything tested on a cb2just ask, i'm handy with both hw/sw

I try to boot this image on Cubietruck and it boots fine. Back in the old days we used to have one image for Cubieboard2 and Cubietruck since they are very similar. 

If you use two SD cards, get third one, use windows tools ... Don't really have any better idea  :huh:

http://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card

used win32diskimager, sha256 is correct, sdcard boots, i left it alone for for now to do its work

thank you for your work and if you need anything tested on a cb2just ask, i'm handy with both hw/sw

@gTs2

So it is working.

please, just put the main idea in bold if you write a long message (people often wrote me : "make you message quicker, simpler & clearer, it is not a novel") :ph34r: