Switching SUNXI-DEV to 5.6.y

I've started the work of switching SUNXI-DEV to 5.6.y, as usual, few DT duplicates and fixes ...

But I've faced also a big change related to 'file_operations' been changed to 'proc_ops' in all places over the kernel, which cause that all our EXTRAWIFI needs to be fixed.

I hope to get it done by the end of this evening ...

Ok ! I passed the main hurdles ... The worst one was that many obsolete time32 helpers that are now definitively gone/erased, but we still need them for out-of-the-tree wifi drivers, so I had to put them back using timekeeping32.patch.

I will do few more test images for my different Allwinner boards, then I will be ready for commit ...

1 hour ago, chwe said:

btw. did you had a look at the packaging script patch?

I had to create new one as patch/misc/general-packaging-5.6.y.patch and added an IF/ELSE statement in lib/compilation-prepare.sh to avoid braking older branches.

Two questions about this patch.
1 - we add a line to the scripts/package/builddeb file

+libc_headers_packagename=linux-libc-dev-"$BRANCH$LOCALVERSION",

but we don't actually build this package. That's how it should be, or it's just not finished.

2 - the postinstall script in the linux-headers package performs actions in the installation directory.

Therefore, the package cannot be deleted cleanly using the standard 'dpkg -r' method.

Perhaps the work is not finished here either.

If you need to modify it, I can offer my own version.

48 minutes ago, going said:

but we don't actually build this package. That's how it should be, or it's just not finished.

Actually, this behaviour was already present in all general-packagin-X.X.y.patch, so I don't know why, maybe because it didn't work. Maybe @Igor knows ...

57 minutes ago, going said:

Therefore, the package cannot be deleted cleanly using the standard 'dpkg -r' method.

Most probably ... What are the artefacts left ? symbolic link ?

58 minutes ago, going said:

If you need to modify it, I can offer my own version.

Feel free to provide your modifs and we will look at them ...

13 hours ago, Igor said:

So far we simply didn't build / provide this package.

I have a great desire to get this package starting from version 5.4. and so on.

I can make corrections for this if YOU give the green light.

13 hours ago, martinayotte said:
14 hours ago, going said:

Most probably ... What are the artefacts left ? symbolic link ?

It doesn 't really matter what changes occurred in the target directory after the package was installed. A simple prerm script that simply clears the target directory will solve the problem .

To make corrections?

27 minutes ago, going said:

I can make corrections for this if YOU give the green light.

yesilışık.jpg

Functions that helps you can help someone else. If they don't break anything they are welcome and gets accepted into the code. Speed of acceptance further depends on review complexity.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:59 PM, martinayotte said:

All my Allwinner boards are currently on 5.6.0-rcX, but since it still RCs, I didn't committed my change to Armbian repo yet ...

I would be very eager to try any 5.6.0-rcX out! Is it available anywhere/could you possibly make your changes available? I would appreciate it a lot. Would you also know if the standard peripherals (I2C, SPI, GPIO, etc), WiFi, Bluetooth, MIPI DSI and CSI are working in current RC? If you're not sure, I would be more than happy to test it out.

2 hours ago, Cybrpunk said:

Would you also know if the standard peripherals (I2C, SPI, GPIO, etc)

All those are working fine.

WiFi, Bluetooth, MIPI DSI and CSI are working in current RC?

Wifi ? Yes !

Others are not tested ...

make your changes available?

Maybe soon, since 5.6.0 is now at RC6 ...

10 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

All those are working fine.

Wifi ? Yes !

Others are not tested ...

Maybe soon, since 5.6.0 is now at RC6 ...

I have a few peripherals at home, especially the bluetooth module, a display and some CSI devices. I am willing to test out MIPI DSI/CSI and Bluetooth if you could share your current RC and hopefully I can contribute in this way.

hummm ! Trying to prepare for commit my previous work, I faced a huge git merge conflict ...

I had to do a new "git clone" to get rid of the conflict ... I'm now working on redoing every fixes one by one ...

Maybe it will take few days ...

Redoing my work on a clean branch, I've just figured out that we have two RTL8723CS drivers in the tree ...

One is added using Armbian patch pushing code into driver/net/wireless/realtek and there is already another one in cache/sources/linux-mainline/orange-pi-5.5/drivers/staging/rtl8723cs-new that have been added since 5.5.y back in January.

@Igor, I think we should use the later since Smaeul and Ondrej have even done some "suspend" fix recently ...

On 4/2/2020 at 2:23 AM, martinayotte said:

hummm ! Trying to prepare for commit my previous work, I faced a huge git merge conflict ...

I had to force push to the master branch few days ago due to some accidental push but I doubt that had any role? Also some wireless drivers has been removed ... Have you manage to fix it in the mean time?

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

I think we should use the later since Smaeul and Ondrej have even done some "suspend" fix recently ...

Yes, move it out on the way if its better. 

2 minutes ago, Igor said:

Have you manage to fix it in the mean time?

I've done a fresh "git clone" to get rid of the issue.

I'm now doing a new a new "tour of my Allwinner garden" with 5.6.1, and then I will do some commits ...

12 minutes ago, Cybrpunk said:

Could you please tell me when you expect your work to be done

Couple of days maybe ...

13 minutes ago, Cybrpunk said:

because we are dependent on this LCD and the peripherals

What do you mean ? I don't work on any LCD, I'm just making DEV branch working with 5.6.y ...

15 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Couple of days maybe ...

What do you mean ? I don't work on any LCD, I'm just making DEV branch working with 5.6.y ...

I'm sorry, I ment the MIPI DSI support. Since MIPI DSI support was removed from 5.1 and is returning again in 5.6, we are expecting that MIPI DSI support within 5.6 will enable the Pine64 LCD touchscreen to work again (https://store.pine64.org/?product=7-lcd-touch-screen-panel).  This is what I ment with LCD.

13 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Switch is not committed

Err I assume it has been committed after all, juist built first 5.6 image :  " Armbian_20.05.0-trunk_Orangepioneplus_buster_dev_5.6.2_minimal.img " using BRANCH=dev RELEASE=buster BUILD_MINIMAL=yes BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no. Now after flashing I noiced

1/ no 1.8 GHz (yet) or this needs to be added specifically to overlay first, eg " cpu-clock-X-Yv "

available frequency steps: 480 MHz, 720 MHz, 816 MHz, 888 MHz, 1.08 GHz, 1.32 GHz, 1.49 GHz

2/ wireguard is now incorporated in to kernel 5.6 so I assume flag " WIREGUARD=no " has no value anymore

etc etc, but yes this looks promising :-), thanks

___  ____  _    ___
 / _ \|  _ \(_)  / _ \ _ __   ___   _
| | | | |_) | | | | | | '_ \ / _ \_| |_
| |_| |  __/| | | |_| | | | |  __/_   _|
 \___/|_|   |_|  \___/|_| |_|\___| |_|

Welcome to Armbian buster with Linux 5.6.2-sunxi64

No end-user support: built from trunk

System load:   0.01 0.07 0.06   Up time:       6 min            Local users:   2
Memory usage:  9 % of 988MB     IP:            192.168.10.235
CPU temp:      43°C
Usage of /:    5% of 15G