Orange Pi 4 (RK3399) doesn't boot

Belgrado

Hi guys,

I am using Orange Pi 4 (RK3399) and put in a SD card Armbian buster (and other time bionic) from the official web site but nothing happens. I have tried so many times using dd command from my debian OS and windows tools to write image on SD card but nothing again.

When I start the board with Android the SD card could be read by android, but when I reboot just the red led shines and the screen of monitor doesn't show nothing.

I would like some help because I would use my board in my project of postgraduate. Nowadays I am so disappointed with this problem.

Best regards.

IMG_20200228_154834.jpg

IMG_20200228_154929.jpg

IMG_20200228_154845.jpg

1 hour ago, Belgrado said:

am using Orange Pi 4 (RK3399) and put in a SD card Armbian buster (and other time bionic) from the official web site but nothing happens.

- which image exactly? (Link!)

- how good is your power supply?

- can you provide serial console logs?

I am so disappointed

Me to. You are not reading and understanding what a label "for testing only" means. At this stage, we simply can't guarantee more than that. Besides, check software licence before complaining. Here is a quick summary how support goes: https://github.com/armbian/build#support We are not there yet, since this board is not supported yet. Will be soon, but right now, it is not.

Edit: Moved to development forums since "Board not start" section is for stable builds only.

I am using Orange Pi 4 (RK3399) and put in a SD card Armbian buster

You should be aware that any Rockchip SoC have eMMC boot priority over SDCard.

So, if Android U-Boot present in eMMC doesn't provide "stop" functionality to let you choose boot device using Serial Debug port, you won't have much choice to short TP50265 test point to disable eMMC as described in this thread :

9 hours ago, Igor said:

Me to. You are not reading and understanding what a label "for testing only" means. At this stage, we simply can't guarantee more than that. Besides, check software licence before complaining. Here is a quick summary how support goes: https://github.com/armbian/build#support We are not there yet, since this board is not supported yet. Will be soon, but right now, it is not.

Edit: Moved to development forums since "Board not start" section is for stable builds only.

Dear @Igor, I know the limitations due the OPi4 is a new hardware project but I am disappointed because some user can boot and initialize the board when others, like me, can't do it, unfortunately the documentation has a few information. You are right the project has it own limitations and go with support free and contribution from many users, I don't want to seem so rude in my disappointment.

Answer: The link of ISOS is that from official site of Armbian:  https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-4/

Answer: Power supply is good and care with this providing stable connection to a power stabilizer (with right tension and voltage)

Answer: When I put SD Card I can't get any information because there is no terminal to catch any output. From Android also I can't do nothing because I am not the root of the this OS. 

Do you have any help?? Please send me something!

10 hours ago, martinayotte said:

You should be aware that any Rockchip SoC have eMMC boot priority over SDCard.

So, if Android U-Boot present in eMMC doesn't provide "stop" functionality to let you choose boot device using Serial Debug port, you won't have much choice to short TP50265 test point to disable eMMC as described in this thread :

Hi @martinayotte,
    Thanks for the help. For me, a new user, I am in doubt about how change the boot preference and how and where do I need to plug to do it. Could you explain more easy to me? I confess I can't catch it :(

4 hours ago, Belgrado said:

like me

The hardest part is to kill the complexity and bring experience with hardware to the normal users. Its a real cost.

Answer: The link of ISOS is that from official site of Armbian:  https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-4/

There are 5 different images.

how good is your power supply?

Answer: Power supply is good and care with this providing stable connection to a power stabilizer (with right tension and voltage)

Even numbers written on the PSU boxes is usually hard to trust. 

5 hours ago, Belgrado said:

Answer: When I put SD Card I can't get any information because there is no terminal to catch any output.

TV/Monitor is not an UART terminal.  https://linux-sunxi.org/UART For this board its the same, just speed is different. 

5 hours ago, Belgrado said:

Do you have any help?? Please send me something!

This was the problem: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1775 Its related to the fact that this board support is not matured and that should be clear to you.

Images are working now.

8 hours ago, Belgrado said:

Hi @martinayotte,
    Thanks for the help. For me, a new user, I am in doubt about how change the boot preference and how and where do I need to plug to do it. Could you explain more easy to me? I confess I can't catch it :(

Dear @Igor, in the case of images I've just downloaded the images from "Direct download". I did it for Buster and Bionic. Below I know there is a link with a repository but I downloaded from the link shown in the web site.

About the logs I confess I don't know how to get it. I just think it was possible due the output in the screen. I imagine, if I am wrong, there is methods jumpering the board or etc but I don't know it.

So, from the link you pass I would like to ask you if it is available in the website of Armbian. It seems it is possible to have boot from SD card too, am I wrong?

You write about leave the complexity but it is step by step. 

8 hours ago, Belgrado said:

For me, a new user, I am in doubt about how change the boot preference and how and where do I need to plug to do it. Could you explain more easy to me?

You need a USB-TTL Serial dongle plugged on the 3 pins Debug header of the OPi4 board. On your computer where you attached the dongle, you run terminal software such as "picocom" with baudrate set at 1500000 baud.

You will then see the log when powering the board. If this Android U-Boot allows to stop booting using <spacebar> pressed several times during early boot and comes to a command prompt, you can then do "mmc list" to see the list of bootable devices, you can then select the SDCard device by doing "setenv devnum N", where N is the device number for SD, followed by "run mmc_boot". If this Android U-Boot doesn't support those commands, then you have to either try the TP50265 test point method shorted to GND before applying power to the board, or to find/try another SD image provided by Xunlong that allows to boot from it over eMMC, and then, from a "root" user shell, erase the eMMC by doing "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1024 count=1024", that will destroy/erase Android U-Boot sectors definitively, so that any future boot attempts will be done exclusively from SDCard ...

37 minutes ago, Belgrado said:

It seems it is possible to have boot from SD card too, am I wrong?

Possible, but we didn't test it on all scenarios or hw variants. v20.02.3 is working for me now, while v20.02.1 didn't boot. We are still in the "for testing only" phase.

37 minutes ago, Belgrado said:

but I don't know it.

OK. Just download images again - make sure that you get version 20.02.3

On 2/29/2020 at 12:09 PM, Igor said:

Possible, but we didn't test it on all scenarios or hw variants. v20.02.3 is working for me now, while v20.02.1 didn't boot. We are still in the "for testing only" phase.

OK. Just download images again - make sure that you get version 20.02.3

Dear Igor,

I have followed your advice but nothing happens. Unfortunately the board doesn't show any signal with the version you said me to use. Again I am so disappointed because nothing works in this board and I am feeling so frustrated. 

I use it on work because I don have monitor to connect it. So, below I show some images again.

I tried Buster and Bionic and the version 20.02.3 but nothing. I just don't know what to do...

IMG_20200309_193358.jpg

IMG_20200309_193402.jpg

IMG_20200309_201241_402.jpg

7 hours ago, Belgrado said:

Again I am so disappointed

Me too. Those images are marked for testing and for advanced users at this point. I see you have no idea what I am telling you. I am sorry, but I can't afford to pay for personal guidance from such a far distance ... read forum, hire help. Remember how much you paid for the product you are asking help to run. And we didn't even released it yet for end-users. Stop.

On 2/28/2020 at 7:50 PM, Belgrado said:

I would use my board in my project of postgraduate.

This https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc-plus/ is the board you should use for your projects.

6 hours ago, Igor said:

Me too. Those images are marked for testing and for advanced users at this point. I see you have no idea what I am telling you. I am sorry, but I can't afford to pay for personal guidance from such a far distance ... read forum, hire help. Remember how much you paid for the product you are asking help to run. And we didn't even released it yet for end-users. Stop.

This https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc-plus/ is the board you should use for your projects.

Dear Igor,

I am sorry for words. I really know what you are telling and now, after many messages I got comprehension on your words. I am sorry, but I was so anxious. You are right when telling images are in tests and the better way to get outputs and share the experience to improve better updates for Armbian is the uart. Testing the hardware components too for getting better and etc. I 

I was worried about it for sure. But I don't have yet with me cables to connect on pins and step by step I am getting the components to improve my project and experience with OPi. 

I am so sorry, it is just a big anxiety and a worry with calendar of studies (that's why I am using OPi 3 and OPi one too). But I am very sorry for my last words.

22 minutes ago, Belgrado said:

share the experience to improve better updates

We mainly know what is wrong. What we don't have are expensive resources to fix things. At least not with the speed "you" desire.

22 minutes ago, Belgrado said:

Testing the hardware components

https://github.com/armbian/autotests
https://www.lavasoftware.org/about.html

https://kernelci.org/

If you want to do something truly useful for the project, ask what is here to do, not to assume you know what is best thing to do. Perhaps rework this application? You will contribute and learn a lot.

14 hours ago, Igor said:

We mainly know what is wrong. What we don't have are expensive resources to fix things. At least not with the speed "you" desire.

https://github.com/armbian/autotests
https://www.lavasoftware.org/about.html

https://kernelci.org/

If you want to do something truly useful for the project, ask what is here to do, not to assume you know what is best thing to do. Perhaps rework this application? You will contribute and learn a lot.

I just want to say thank you for words and the motivation to joint to Armbian. It will be a pleasure for me! I will joint to contribute :)

Are you using Armbian on OPi4? I am planning buy uart connectors and new SD Card on weekend to make new tests. Also I will see the code. In forum there persons who are using Armbian on eMMC and saying both opinions, working and not working. So, I need see what is going wrong.

In your case is everything working?

On 2/29/2020 at 3:48 PM, martinayotte said:

You need a USB-TTL Serial dongle plugged on the 3 pins Debug header of the OPi4 board. On your computer where you attached the dongle, you run terminal software such as "picocom" with baudrate set at 1500000 baud.

You will then see the log when powering the board. If this Android U-Boot allows to stop booting using <spacebar> pressed several times during early boot and comes to a command prompt, you can then do "mmc list" to see the list of bootable devices, you can then select the SDCard device by doing "setenv devnum N", where N is the device number for SD, followed by "run mmc_boot". If this Android U-Boot doesn't support those commands, then you have to either try the TP50265 test point method shorted to GND before applying power to the board, or to find/try another SD image provided by Xunlong that allows to boot from it over eMMC, and then, from a "root" user shell, erase the eMMC by doing "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1024 count=1024", that will destroy/erase Android U-Boot sectors definitively, so that any future boot attempts will be done exclusively from SDCard ...

good evening - I did what you recommnad - I have Orange Pi4 without EMMC.  Output from putty MMC@fe320000 :1 and sdhci@fe330000: 0  DDR version 1.24 20191016.  Device is tried boot from emmc but there is no emmc. SDHCI error card did not respond to voltage select.  I have changed setnev devnum 0 - device not boot at all. What is wrong?

My picocom output

"

adek@PentiumG3440:~$ picocom -b 1500000 -r -l /dev/ttyUSB0
picocom v3.1

port is        : /dev/ttyUSB0
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 1500000
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : yes
hangup is      : no
nolock is      : yes
send_cmd is    : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is        :
omap is        :
emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,
logfile is     : none
initstring     : none
exit_after is  : not set
exit is        : no

Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands
Terminal ready
DDR Version 1.24 20191016
In
channel 0
CS = 0
MR0=0x18
MR4=0x1
MR5=0x1
MR8=0x8
MR12=0x72
MR14=0x72
MR18=0x0
MR19=0x0
MR24=0x8
MR25=0x0
CS = 1
MR0=0x18
MR4=0x1
MR5=0x1
MR8=0x8
MR12=0x72
MR14=0x72
MR18=0x0
MR19=0x0
MR24=0x8
MR25=0x0
channel 1
CS = 0
MR0=0x18
MR4=0x1
MR5=0x1
MR8=0x8
MR12=0x72
MR14=0x72
MR18=0x0
MR19=0x0
MR24=0x8
MR25=0x0
CS = 1
MR0=0x18
MR4=0x1
MR5=0x1
MR8=0x8
MR12=0x72
MR14=0x72
MR18=0x0
MR19=0x0
MR24=0x8
MR25=0x0
channel 0 training pass!
channel 1 training pass!
change freq to 416MHz 0,1
Channel 0: LPDDR4,416MHz
Bus Width=32 Col=10 Bank=8 Row=15/15 CS=2 Die Bus-Width=16 Size=2048MB
Channel 1: LPDDR4,416MHz
Bus Width=32 Col=10 Bank=8 Row=15/15 CS=2 Die Bus-Width=16 Size=2048MB
256B stride
channel 0
CS = 0
MR0=0x18
MR4=0x1
MR5=0x1
MR8=0x8
MR12=0x72
MR14=0x72
MR18=0x0
MR19=0x0
MR24=0x8
MR25=0x0
CS = 1
MR0=0x18
MR4=0x1
MR5=0x1
MR8=0x8
MR12=0x72
MR14=0x72
MR18=0x0
MR19=0x0
MR24=0x8
MR25=0x0
channel 1
CS = 0
MR0=0x18
MR4=0x1
MR5=0x1
MR8=0x8
MR12=0x72
MR14=0x72
MR18=0x0
MR19=0x0
MR24=0x8
MR25=0x0
CS = 1
MR0=0x18
MR4=0x1
MR5=0x1
MR8=0x8
MR12=0x72
MR14=0x72
MR18=0x0
MR19=0x0
MR24=0x8
MR25=0x0
channel 0 training pass!
channel 1 training pass!
channel 0, cs 0, advanced training done
channel 0, cs 1, advanced training done
channel 1, cs 0, advanced training done
channel 1, cs 1, advanced training done
channel 0, cs 1, dq 0 RISK!!! read vref 27% and 13% no find pass-eye
channel 0, cs 1, dq 0 RISK!!! TdiVW_total violate spec
 channel 0, cs 1, dq 7 RISK!!! read vref 27% and 13% no find pass-eye
channel 0, cs 1, dq 7 RISK!!! TdiVW_total violate spec
 change freq to 856MHz 1,0
ch 0 ddrconfig = 0x101, ddrsize = 0x2020
ch 1 ddrconfig = 0x101, ddrsize = 0x2020
pmugrf_os_reg[2] = 0x3AA1FAA1, stride = 0xD
ddr_set_rate to 328MHZ
ddr_set_rate to 666MHZ
ddr_set_rate to 928MHZ
channel 0, cs 0, advanced training done
channel 0, cs 1, advanced training done
channel 1, cs 0, advanced training done
channel 1, cs 1, advanced training done
channel 0, cs 1, dq 0 RISK!!! read vref 27% and 13% no find pass-eye
channel 0, cs 1, dq 0 RISK!!! TdiVW_total violate spec
 channel 0, cs 1, dq 7 RISK!!! read vref 27% and 13% no find pass-eye
channel 0, cs 1, dq 7 RISK!!! TdiVW_total violate spec
 ddr_set_rate to 416MHZ, ctl_index 0
ddr_set_rate to 856MHZ, ctl_index 1
support 416 856 328 666 928 MHz, current 856MHz
OUT
Boot1: 2019-03-14, version: 1.19
CPUId = 0x0
ChipType = 0x10, 250
mmc: ERROR: SDHCI ERR:cmd:0x102,stat:0x18000
mmc: ERROR: Card did not respond to voltage select!
emmc reinit
emmc reinit
SdmmcInit=2 1
mmc0:cmd5,20
SdmmcInit=0 0
BootCapSize=0
UserCapSize=15193MB
FwPartOffset=2000 , 0
StorageInit ok = 54609
SecureMode = 0
SecureInit read PBA: 0x4
SecureInit read PBA: 0x404
SecureInit read PBA: 0x804
SecureInit read PBA: 0xc04
SecureInit read PBA: 0x1004
SecureInit read PBA: 0x1404
SecureInit read PBA: 0x1804
SecureInit read PBA: 0x1c04
SecureInit ret = 0, SecureMode = 0
atags_set_bootdev: ret:(0)
GPT 0x3380ec0 signature is wrong
recovery gpt...
GPT 0x3380ec0 signature is wrong
recovery gpt fail!
LoadTrust Addr:0x4000
No find bl30.bin
No find bl32.bin
Load uboot, ReadLba = 2000
hdr 0000000003380880 + 0x0:0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,

Load OK, addr=0x200000, size=0xd3e04
RunBL31 0x40000
NOTICE:  BL31: v1.3(debug):42583b6
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 07:55:13, Oct 15 2019
NOTICE:  BL31: Rockchip release version: v1.1
INFO:    GICv3 with legacy support detected. ARM GICV3 driver initialized in EL3
INFO:    Using opteed sec cpu_context!
INFO:    boot cpu mask: 0
INFO:    plat_rockchip_pmu_init(1190): pd status 3e
INFO:    BL31: Initializing runtime services
WARNING: No OPTEE provided by BL2 boot loader, Booting device without OPTEE initialization. SMC`s destined for OPTEE will return SMC_UNK
ERROR:   Error initializing runtime service opteed_fast
INFO:    BL31: Preparing for EL3 exit to normal world
INFO:    Entry point address = 0x200000
INFO:    SPSR = 0x3c9

U-Boot 2020.07-armbian (Sep 02 2020 - 10:03:21 +0200)

Model: OrangePi 4 AI board
DRAM:  3.9 GiB
PMIC:  RK808
MMC:   mmc@fe320000: 1, sdhci@fe330000: 0
Loading Environment from MMC... Card did not respond to voltage select!
*** Warning - No block device, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Model: OrangePi 4 AI board
Net:   eth0: ethernet@fe300000
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
=>  mmc list
mmc@fe320000: 1
sdhci@fe330000: 0
=> setenv devnum 0
=> run mmc_boot
Card did not respond to voltage select!
=>"

18 hours ago, constantius said:

I have Orange Pi4 without EMMC (...) I have changed setnev devnum 0 - device not boot at all. What is wrong?

Trying to boot with eMMC if you don't have one will get you nowhere ;-)

1 is the correct devnum in this situation.

Why do you use this method anyway? Do you have trouble booting?

What is the console output if you don't do anything during boot?

And BTW, please use "Spoiler" for long pasted listing.

hello. Thanks for reply. 

Never mind the problem

Starting kernel ...

[   29.347708] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk1p1): htree_dirblock_to_tree:1004: inode #35260: comm find: Directory block failed checksum
[   29.379325] EXT4-fs (mmcblk1p1): Remounting filesystem read-only
[   29.380061] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk1p1): ext4_journal_check_start:83: Detected aborted journal
[   30.096180] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk1p1): htree_dirblock_to_tree:1004: inode #35318: comm find: Directory block failed checksum
[   30.212107] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk1p1): htree_dirblock_to_tree:1004: inode #35347: comm find: Directory block failed checksum
[   30.352610] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk1p1): htree_dirblock_to_tree:1004: inode #35301: comm find: Directory block failed checksum

The board is probably mechanically damaged. Not even android and systems supplied by the manufacturer orangepi works. I have already filed a complaint with orangepi. That was strange behauvoir from the beggining...

Thanks

Hey guys!

I would like to use this topic as my issue is related to the Orange Pi 4 (RK3399) doesn't boot.

I have an Orange PI PC that works normally and I have never had any problems. But I'm not Orange PI advanced user!

I bought in February 2021 an Orange PI 4 (RK3399), where I used the image:

OrangePi_4_ubuntu_xenial_desktop_linux4.4.179_v1.4 from https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sbo2SLLs1kmm7IjKwFp-eT65PYgNzUtM 

This image worked fine for my OpenCV lab.

Two weeks ago (2021-jun-8) I decided to use a more current image, but none of the images below "doesn't boot"... nothing happens, just black screen...

https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-4/

https://redirect.armbian.com/region/NA/orangepi4/Buster_current

https://redirect.armbian.com/region/NA/orangepi4/Buster_legacy_xfce

https://redirect.armbian.com/region/NA/orangepi4/Focal_current

https://redirect.armbian.com/region/NA/orangepi4/Focal_current_xfce

What I would like you to help me or indicate what would be the ideal image to use with this board... if there is a console-only version, I prefer it, because I will use it for background with docker container processing

sorry for any error in my english, but google translate helped me... ;)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, but this is not an urgent case.

19 minutes ago, Sérgio Medina said:

What I would like you to help me or indicate what would be the ideal image to use with this board... if there is a console-only version, I prefer it, because I will use it for background with docker container processing

If one variant (Buster, Focal, with or without desktop) doesn't boot, all others won't - low level support is identical. But you can check images from archive (last link on the board download page) since its known that they worked in the past, but we still didn't get enough interest from your side to improve / develop (automated) testing. Manually testing of each released image or covering development of testing team is something we can't afford. Not even close.

Do you perhaps have a serial console so you could provide some debug?