Claim a task, set DUE date and start doing it!

According to my information, most, if not all, should receive boards from first batch by now. They were sent with expedited shipping.

Previous weekend we should start with a new batch but it was simply no time and thankfully not so much interest. This does not mean we stopped but to took a break.

There were few new claims in the mean time, something has been done and we got several W.I.P.. Still working on to acknowledge what has been done but nevertheless we are proceeding.

Remember. Some projects / claims need more help.

is anyone keeping a list anywhere thats available of claimed & completed tasks & other tasks needing volunteers? if not may be an idea for one of the senior bods to start and own it.

Partially info in the end of the first post.

is anyone keeping a list anywhere thats available of claimed & completed tasks & other tasks needing volunteers? if not may be an idea for one of the senior bods to start and own it.

i volunteered for a task to crearte a process. im still very short on delivery and i appologize. im over thinking the forum to github issue relationship.

questions for all...

for issues does it make sense to keep all dialog on the forum, but create a corresponding issue in github && just have it provide a hyper link to the forum?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i volunteered for a task to crearte a process. im still very short on delivery and i appologize. im over thinking the forum to github issue relationship.

questions for all...

for issues does it make sense to keep all dialog on the forum, but create a corresponding issue in github && just have it provide a hyper link to the forum?

i had a bit of an epiphany after i posted this. ill get something drafted

As I already wrote in my first post, I see the Orange Pi+ 2E as one of the best mini servers. So could someone with an Orange Pi+ 2E and a fresh raspian please monitor the write rates of the eMMc (e.g. with: awk '{print $7}' /sys/block/mmcblk0/stat ) over some time? Maybe with a running mysql server database on eMMC?

Asking, because I haven't seen a package like folder2ram or similar to prevent the "fast flash memory dead" on raspian. Or is there a need for it?

Regards sysitos

PS: Because I'm new to this forum (until now I was only passive reader, thanks to the interesting posts of tkaiser on the web), and I got only 1 response to my automount&share script, could someone of the advanced members help me to interpret this? Does this mean, there is no interest for it, because all here know how to write scripts and the noobs, who are interested in, are don't post here?  Or is no response simple the most of all responses :P ?

PS: Because I'm new to this forum (until now I was only passive reader, thanks to the interesting posts of tkaiser on the web), and I got only 1 response to my automount&share script, could someone of the advanced members help me to interpret this? Does this mean, there is no interest for it, because all here know how to write scripts and the noobs, who are interested in, are don't post here?  Or is no response simple the most of all responses :P ?

IMO automount and share script could be useful, but

• has very limited use cases, on servers you usually want to control what you want to mount, and for desktops it feels like reinventing the wheel gvfs daemon
  • some people might not like systemd as dependency, we still support wheezy and trusty where it isn't an option, not to mention people who replace systemd on jessie

Asking, because I haven't seen a package like folder2ram or similar to prevent the "fast flash memory dead" on raspian. Or is there a need for it?

There shouldn't be any issues installing this or this manually on systemd-based distributions. I'm assuming that you want to not only put directory in RAM, but sync its contents to SD/eMMC periodically.

i had a bit of an epiphany after i posted this. ill get something drafted

I have drafted a procedure for tasks management.   Please take a look and share your thoughts.

Armbian Task Tracking Process

@Igor and others

If you want to move forward, we have the following action items to perform:

* Create new Forum Topic "Armbian Tasks"

* Create GitHub Milestone "claimed tasks"

* Create GitHub Milestone "unclaimed tasks"

* Migrating some threads to new topic, etc.

* Break out tasks from this thread into new procedure.

has very limited use cases, on servers you usually want to control what you want to mount

And that's the script for. You can control it, no interaction required. You have a black/white-list for defining, if it should be mounted, if and how it should be shared.

He, these little arm boards do only need very little power. That's why, I let it running the whole day ( in opposite to my real AMD Server).  But if there are multiple USB drives connected, the power consumption goes high too. So I switch these drives only on, if I need it. Think of it as "poor man's USB NAS".  Or people like my mother without a smart TV. She only needs to plugin the USB drive and can watch the pictures/movies with Kodi on TV.

Btw. would be nice if the power source -220V- could be switched with the pins of the board too. Suggestions?

some people might not like systemd

Yes, i know these flame wars :( . On my little nexx router with openwrt I used a "simple udev script". Was working too. But now with systemd it's more comfortable and more powerful.

There shouldn't be any issues installing this or this manually

Thanks, for the suggestions, already had a look on it. With OMV on my Odroid C2 there is the package folder2ram (prefer existing packages), but this does only sync on startup/shutdown, which is sometimes not enough ...

@tkaiser

I want to claim last task you posted - armbian-test-reliability.

I have 1pcs of Orange Pi One, 15pcs of Orange Pi PC and 2pcs of Orange Pi PC Plus.

I have never tried to build my *.deb package but I like hw testing and scripting...

Due date? 1..2 weeks? I must collect informations what can I get and what I am missing/do not know.

I will let you know tomorrow.

Btw. would be nice if the power source -220V- could be switched with the pins of the board too. Suggestions?

Sorry if getting off topic, but... a relay does that. Search "arduino relay" on ebay (< $2) or amazon etc for the easiest solution. Cut the live wire of a power cord and put the relay module in between.

Are there unclaimed tasks suitable for newbs who would like to start contributing but have little experience?

One fairly easy task is to try our build tools in detail / with all possible scenarios and write down your thoughts about. This can help us reshape the tools and write better manual for it. Here we actually want less experienced point of view. 

Thanks, for the suggestions, already had a look on it. With OMV on my Odroid C2 there is the package folder2ram (prefer existing packages), but this does only sync on startup/shutdown, which is sometimes not enough ...

We were using a simple tool called ramlog to store logs in ram and sync them with cron & shutdown. https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/bin/ramlog_2.0.0_all.deb 

Since it's not systemd friendly, we don't use it on modern installs. Something similar to this would be nice to have. 

One fairly easy task is to try our build tools in detail / with all possible scenarios and write down your thoughts about. This can help us reshape the tools and write better manual for it. Here we actually want less experienced point of view. 

I would totally do that! It might also identify some easy-to-fix problems that could be a good place to start contributing code.

I have drafted a procedure for tasks management. Please take a look and share your thoughts.

Armbian Task Tracking Process

@Igor and others

If you want to move forward, we have the following action items to perform:

* Create new Forum Topic "Armbian Tasks"

* Create GitHub Milestone "claimed tasks"

* Create GitHub Milestone "unclaimed tasks"

* Migrating some threads to new topic, etc.

* Break out tasks from this thread into new procedure.

@tkaiser @igor

can you provide some feedback for above when you get an opportunity?

Tapatalk thinks its important to tell you im using tapatalk from a phone.

We were using a simple tool called ramlog to store logs in ram and sync them with cron & shutdown. https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/bin/ramlog_2.0.0_all.deb 

Since it's not systemd friendly, we don't use it on modern installs. Something similar to this would be nice to have. 

For this simple task package folder2ram fits perfect and would be enough. Could be "borrowed" from the OMV repos ;)

Imho, this tool could be improved, for usage cases like:

• sync periodically, not only on shutdown (thinking of the mysql database)
  • don't sync at all back to the (sd-card-)folder, throw away all changes (e.g. for /var/log, and no, putting /var/log as tmpfs in fstab isn't enough, because some services needs /var/log/servicename/logfile, which isn't available than)
  • use a overlay fs, could be a improved start up time for large sync folders. But I don't know, if all raspian kernels have it implemented. And I haven't any clue, what the overall performance would be.

The last one is the approach of anything-sync-damon (systemd ready), already mentioned by zador.blood.stained.

Regards sysitos

For this simple task package folder2ram fits perfect and would be enough. Could be "borrowed" from the OMV repos ;)

This task is not that simple, logging starts at early boot, so you need to mount /var/log and restore its contents as early as possible, before rsyslog/journald starts. I already linked one of possible solutions here, but it needs to be packaged with proper pre- and postinstall scripts to make it optional.

This task is not that simple, logging starts at early boot, so you need to mount /var/log and restore its contents as early as possible, before rsyslog/journald starts. I already linked one of possible solutions here, but it needs to be packaged with proper pre- and postinstall scripts to make it optional.

Sorry, but I don't see the principal difference between ramlog (with or without systemd) and folder2ram, beside that ramlog only handles /var/log and folder2ram would handle all self defined folders, including /var/log. See https://github.com/bobafetthotmail/folder2ram.

Or did you mean with not simple to package it with all usage cases (w/o systemd) in armbian?

Some additional minds, handling the log into ram. Doing this with an onion fs on /var/log (that's why I asked, if the different kernels do it support - my fault, I wrote raspian kernel, but meant armbian :o ), could reduce the first "rsync time" and may be other trouble with already opened files.

Remark: with my odroid c2 and omv the dir /var/log is handled by folder2ram and logging does work fine. Couldn't test it with rambian now, because it's my working server (and my first and only once arm board at the moment)

@lanefu

Yes, something like this. Just push it to wiki and add to menu, let's say "Report a problem" in section "General".

@Igor

Can you create a topic on the armbian forums where I can instruct users to post their issue threads?

@lanefu

Can you create a topic on the armbian forums where I can instruct users to post their issue threads?

I don't quite understand what you mean by that? :huh: I guess I need vacations, since my brains are throttling  :) Just create topic and one of mods will pin it.

https://github.com/lanefu/armbianDocsAndProcess/blob/master/ArmbianTaskTracking.md 

This should once go to "user manual", when we finish with the technology issues.

@0x0

Okay, UX designer is here. How I can help this project? Make a "branded" theme for LXDE?

Well, design tuning is open for jump in. We are using XFCE desktop with different (stock) theme, icons and wallpaper. On some boards we are using Armbian boot logo and I think that's all regarding design & branding. Almost nothing. Peek how desktop is done now. 

If you are good in .css, here is another WIP. Recently we start to rework our documentations, since our current system was just a bunch of MD files withing script repository. Take a look at docs.armbian.com and check if you can fix .css to meet website design (Check tool site http://www.mkdocs.org/ for more info about custom css).