Is there a better way to prevent a custom kernel update than apt hold?

stut

I been running my own images with great success thanks to rock solid build environment but one thing that catches me by surprise every now and then is that updating the system can also overwrite my custom kernel, which is is far from ideal. Up until now I been issuing an apt hold command for the packages but I was thinking maybe there is a better way. Because even with the hold in place if I don't pay close attention and do an apt dist-upgrade for example they will still be replaced despite the hold. Is there a better way to prevent my kernels from being updated by the stock kernel?

Cheers!

On 3/9/2020 at 3:40 PM, ning said:

or just add SUBREVISION=.99999 to your build command line

Will try, thanks for the suggestion.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:13 PM, Igor said:

That will be good enough until we bump to 20.08

What would the best way to prevent these kernel upgrades from ever happening? If that's possible of course.

17 minutes ago, stut said:

What would the best way to prevent these kernel upgrades from ever happening? If that's possible of course.

By patching packaging patches or best, implement this as a feature to the build engine.

Edited by Igor
link to wrong word

Setting the sub-revision seems to have sorted it, but it may be too early to tell as I just build this fresh image. 2053530523_Screenshot2020-03-11at11_59_36.thumb.png.ee76d1f53b09e562d27554bfa1c6fba7.pngFor now looking good, thanks for the pointers everyone.