Docker on H3 Armbian

Andersf

46 minutes ago, jernej said:

I think that H3 will get DRM HDMI/TVE driver in 4.13 and Icenowy already tested mali driver (x11 version), which works. So it is not so distant future, but it will take some months for sure.

That's good news. I heard stories, but didn't know, that we are that close. Thanks for update.

Thanks for the quick responses! I'll certainly try to test my application running one of these builds for as long as possible before deploying.

On that note - I successfully built armbian using the dev kernel and installed it, and docker, which is now Docker is working; I also tested the nightly dev build and it ran Docker also, but the login message was very clear about not using it in a production system.

What would be the recommended way of getting a Docker compatible kernel? I.e. safest path for most vanilla, repeatable, process, facilitating future upgrade?

2 minutes ago, jethro said:

What would be the recommended way of getting a Docker compatible kernel? I.e. safest path for most vanilla, repeatable, process, facilitating future upgrade?

You are using the most compatible kernel. This "DEV" will once become "NEXT" and that will indicate that we are satisfied with quality. That kernel updates will be from stable branches, currently they are not.

1 minute ago, Igor said:

You are using the most compatible kernel.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my last post, I'm still very new to all this stuff so hopefully you can bear with me...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I understand it: 

• the stable or "default" release includes kernel 3.4.113
  • the nightly build uses the dev branch, which has kernel 4.11.3
  • the custom build can use either branch, but I'd need to use the dev branch for kernel 4.11.3

Which of these options is better from the perspective of upgrading to a stable release once 4.X kernel becomes the "default"?

Thanks again!

- default means old legacy kernel. Pretty much works, but ofc no docker support since kernel is too old.

- nightly indicates automated builds with whatever kernel

- we usually don't provide "DEV" images. Usually they are in nightly builds or you can made them manually

- in build higher than 5.27 (current betas) is it possible to switch kernels from armbian-config menu. So you don't need to worry about ... 

- default will stay default for ever or at least for some time. DEV will become NEXT which indicates "Next kernel generation"

No NEXT (which can be identified / understand as stable kernel 4.x branch) for H3, while this situation already happened for older chips: A10 / A20 and Odroid XU4, Imx6.

Nightly images are not directly related. There will always be some development branches ... DEV will remain.

8 hours ago, Igor said:

I heard stories, but didn't know, that we are that close.

Uh, I mistyped. 4.13 DRM merge deadline will probably come too soon to merge HDMI code, but 4.14 kernel should have it.

But at least porting should be straightforward, so Armbian can have it nevertheless.

• Igor unpinned this topic