How do I update the u-boot bootloader?

lebeno

I keep my Lime2 updated with apt-get update/apt-get upgrade, but it does not upgrade the u-boot, that is still an old version:

U-Boot SPL 2015.07-armbian-sun7i (Oct 11 2015 - 17:17:10)
DRAM: 1024 MiB
CPU: 912000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2

Because the network speed is not that fast, I suspect this could be solved with a more recent u-boot. How do I update the Lime2 bootloader to a recent u-boot without re-downloading an image and re-installing all my software and data?

It looks like there is already a recent u-boot.bin file on the system...

# ls -l /usr/lib/nand-sata-install/a20/bootloader/linux/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    152 May 23 22:35 linux.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 309228 May 23 22:35 u-boot.bin

...but what steps are needed to make the Lime 2 use the new bootloader?

I keep my Lime2 updated with apt-get update/apt-get upgrade, but it does not upgrade the u-boot, that is still an old version:

U-Boot SPL 2015.07-armbian-sun7i (Oct 11 2015 - 17:17:10)
DRAM: 1024 MiB
CPU: 912000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2
Because the network speed is not that fast, I suspect this could be solved with a more recent u-boot. How do I update the Lime2 bootloader to a recent u-boot without re-downloading an image and re-installing all my software and data?

It looks like there is already a recent u-boot.bin file on the system...

# ls -l /usr/lib/nand-sata-install/a20/bootloader/linux/
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    152 May 23 22:35 linux.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 309228 May 23 22:35 u-boot.bin
...but what steps are needed to make the Lime 2 use the new bootloader?
Hi,

I doubt that a U-Boot upgrade will improve your network speed but I could be wrong.

If you're booting from NAND then I'd mount /dev/nand1 at /media and then check the /media/linux directory. It should contain linux.ini and u-boot.bin and if so then you could copy the new version to this directory.

If you're booting from SD card then I don't think the /usr/lib/... files are relevant.

Cheers,

Steven

If you're booting from SD card then I don't think the /usr/lib/... files are relevant.

Exactly. those are relevant only for NAND install where we used this old / legacy boot loader. Mainline uboot does not have NAND support.

@lebeno

We changed naming once from none -> default, next, dev and we forgot to made a link I guess ... have to check later if we have a problem. Install it this way:

apt-get install linux-u-boot-lime2-default # legacy kernel

or

apt-get install linux-u-boot-lime2-next # mainline kernel