display rotation extremely slow

freak

Using Linux tinkerboard 4.19.69-rockchip #5.95 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 2 07:34:36 CEST 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Using glxgears as a test case.. I get 60fps without the screen rotated.  If I rotate the screen right or left the frame rate drops to 4fps.  That's on a fresh boot with nothing else running.  I tested TinkerOS on the same board and it works fine rotated.  My Raspberry PI 4 works fine rotated as well.  What could be the problem with Armbian?

Hi first post here. 

I had been wrestling with TinkerOS but discovered Armbian and so far am super impressed with this one caveat.

I too am experiencing  the same issue, a web page's performance when running with a normal view is significantly quicker than when its rotated using xrandr

I have tried the current buster build and used buster_legacy_4.4.213. Both appear to have the same issue, but I am very open to having got something wrong.  

The monitor(s) I have tested with all worked with a similar script when using TinkerOS. 

All help would be gratefully received.

My bash script that runs on boot

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0
# Rotate the screen 90 degrees left
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --rotate left
# Rotate the touchscreen settings by 90 degrees left
xinput set-prop 'wch.cn USB2IIC_CTP_CONTROL' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0 -1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1

xset -dpms
xset s noblank
xset s 300

openbox-session &
chromium --no-first-run --disable --disable-translate --disable-infobars --disable-suggestions-service --disable-save-password-bubble --start-maximized --kiosk --disable-session-crashed-bubble --incognito https://bbc.co.uk

Hi all,

How funny this is my first post here and I see it's about exactly the same issue that CluelessLee posted as his first post.

I have done more or less exactly what he has done and when rotated it is extremely slow at rendering the screen as opposed to acceptable rendering when un-rotated.

Has anyone successfully rotated the screen with good results, if so can you help, otherwise can anyone give me some indication on what I might be able to do before I sadly have to look at a different Tinkerboard OS?

Many thanks. 

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your response. Apologies for the delay, I had to flash the OS onto my tinkerboard again. I would say it has made a slight improvement but it's still very slow when rotating 90 degrees left.

I have tried 2 different monitors.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

20 minutes ago, CluelessLee said:

similar setting

No. Then this probably going deeper which is not so simple and would require few days of R&D. According to our staff and budget, not this year ...