Issues with Ubuntu desktop on Orange Pi Prime

Quang-vip

So I just got my Orange Pi Prime board today and I tried the Ubuntu Bionic desktop image on it. (Armbian 20.02.3 Bionic current 5.4.18 desktop)

Things didn't go like I expected... When I got into the desktop, all I saw was a missing taskbar, a white background (instead of a grey one) with a penguin on it. However, all the items on the taskbar worked normally.

I thought that wasn't much until I tried to open Chromium, the whole window was white and I couldn't interact with it.
I couldn't open the terminal either (clicking on its entry in the menu didn't launch it)

I was shocked as I thought something was wrong with my board. So I told myself to try the Debian image instead.
Surprisingly, it worked well (without any issues I mentioned above).

What can I do to fix that issue? Is this a bug or software conflict? I really want to use the Ubuntu image (for now, I'm temporarily using the Debian one).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Oh and I'm wondering if the built-in bluetooth is supported on the Pi Prime right now?

Both images, Ubuntu and Debian flavor, sharing the very same kernel package. Therefore theoretically it has to be an issue with Ubuntu directly.

Armbian does very minor tweaks (like performance) to the OS only but keeps it mostly in its original state.

If I had to guess try disabling any 3d hardware acceleration on Ubuntu and retry.

24 minutes ago, Werner said:

Both images, Ubuntu and Debian flavor, sharing the very same kernel package. Therefore theoretically it has to be an issue with Ubuntu directly.

Armbian does very minor tweaks (like performance) to the OS only but keeps it mostly in its original state.

If I had to guess try disabling any 3d hardware acceleration on Ubuntu and retry.

Alright, I'll give it a try when I have time
but thanks for your suggestion :D

1 hour ago, Quang-vip said:

I don't think have any 3rd hardware acceleration enabled...

3D hardware is supported since 4.19.y but ... performance is not on the level of closed source drivers. Yet.

Ok... So is there anyway to disable 3D hardware acceleration properly in Armbian?

I have tried some solutions on Google (Stack overflow, ubuntu official forum).

And they were to add some configurations in the 'xorg.conf', but that didn't bring any postive result..

23 minutes ago, Quang-vip said:

So is there anyway to disable 3D hardware acceleration properly in Armbian?

blacklist module lima

which is done standard way. https://askubuntu.com/questions/110341/how-to-blacklist-kernel-modules

23 minutes ago, Quang-vip said:

ubuntu official forum

We only use Ubuntu user land packages, the cheap part. Ubuntu has no awareness nor knowledge of hardware layer of https://www.armbian.com/download

Ohh yesss

This is exactly what I needed.

I blacklisted it and walla, everything is normal now

Though I don't know how it really worked (I thought Lima was the GPU's driver module), but yea, it did the job well.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it :)

2 hours ago, Quang-vip said:

Does the Bluetooth function work in Armbian for the Pi Prime?

Yes it works. If you plugin BT dongle. Onboard chip does not support BT.

It might support, not sure if we support it.

8 hours ago, Quang-vip said:

Android image flawlessly

Linux images are developed from scratch (mainly on community cost) or / and ported from prehistoric BSP kernels (used in Android). Its a lot of work to get to this point. If something doesn't work, remember on your support contract / terms https://github.com/armbian/build#support

This changes if you https://www.armbian.com/get-involved/ or help around.

Actually, I managed to get it to work, thanks to this thread and the author :D (It only applies to the H5 SoC from what I know..)
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/9043-rtl8723bs-bluetooth/

And yes, I understand that Armbian is still being developed and not in anyway be perfect yet.
But still, I really appreciate everyone's work to make this incredible OS for SBCs.

Once again, thank you for helping me out :D You really saved my life

On 3/25/2020 at 12:24 PM, Igor said:

blacklist module lima

I had the same or similar issue(missing taskbar, no icons on desktop just text, windows didn't appear) on (old) Pinebook,

(Armbian_20.02.1_Pinebook-a64_bionic_current_5.4.20_desktop.img)

Doing the above blacklist seems to work around it indeed, thank you!