OrangePI One H3 questions

f82

Hello,

I'm a new Armbian user of my first OrangePI One H3 board after much time spent on rpi boards. I was curious to see how these boards run and I bought one. I'm using a fast 32GB A2 microsd, an external 4 USB externally powered hub, an HDMI to VGA converter with audio out.

I was deciding at first which o.s. to use cause I've seen there're also Ubuntu and Debian official 5.x kernel based images on their page but I tried this at first. I've installed usual applications browsers office apps mail etc, and now I'd like to make some questions to better understand some things:

1) I know being on the armbian forum I'd expect everyone to prefer this o.s. but I'd like to know which are the differences with the official Ubuntu/Debian images in terms of proper hardware usage (drivers, acceleration, etc..) and generally if you've tried both and your advices on them.

2) Obviously with 512MB od DDR3 I wasn't expecting a full web browser experience cause immediately ram is filled up and begin to swap on disk. I've tried to increase zram to around 400MB setting at 90% but still seems not enough. Are there any possibility to increase it more like 1GB but still preferring to use the internal faster ram as primary choice?

3) I understand there's no Opengl acceleration and usually I'd not need it but still I'd like to understand which is the actual accelerations implemented that use some hardware maybe for 2D at least. I've tried followed the guide to compile everything for the video acceleration at least but at the end in the xorg.log I got some errors with the FB calls changing the acceleration compared to the original auto configurated one and got higher cpu usage then before in mpv compared to the original configuration. Also I've seen for example in some browser it calls the llmvpipe software renderer others seems not to use any acceleration at all. Which is the  actual best 2D and eventually 3D configuration for the latest armbian 5.4.26-sunxi kernel based enviroment on the Allwinner H3?

4) I'm using a PSP power supply with 1500mah, is it ok for the connector size and mah supply until I wait for the usb cable to arrive?

5) Using the externally powered USB HUB if I switch off the board and I remove the power supply connector from the pi one, the board still receive some current from the usb powered hub until I disconnect that too. Is it dangerous for the board itself this redundance of power?

Thanks I'll update with more questions.

Bye