Bridging Wi-Fi to Ethernet

gounthar

Hi there,

with the global lockdown, I had to move my "lab" at home... and I have trouble with the infamous WAF.

So I moved almost everything in the attic, and would have loved to pull an Ethernet cable from my ISP box to the "lab" Wi-Fi router, but it's not significant other's compatible.
As strange as it may seem, the Wi-Fi signal coming from the ISP box is really strong in the attic, so I thought of redirecting the Wi-Fi to the 24 ports switch thanks to a SBC.
I don't want the SBC to act as a router, I want to use the router which is in my ISP box, so that I can still interact easily with the machines in the attic wherever I may be in the house.
I don't really know where to start. I don't want to go the full Monty and install openWRT, as I don't think I need a router, just something that bonds the Wi-Fi network to the Ethernet on a board, so that I can "feed" a switch.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

I tried another way with arp proxy, following this tutorial, but at the end, I only get

Apr 24 00:04:54 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 249.
Apr 24 00:04:54 localhost systemd[1]: Stopped proxy arp routing service.
Apr 24 00:04:54 localhost systemd[1]: Starting proxy arp routing service...
Apr 24 00:05:00 localhost systemd-networkd-wait-online[3263]: Event loop failed: Connection timed out
Apr 24 00:05:00 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 24 00:05:00 localhost bash[3286]: Error: any valid prefix is expected rather than "/32".
Apr 24 00:05:00 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 24 00:05:00 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 24 00:05:00 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to start proxy arp routing service.
Apr 24 00:05:05 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Service RestartSec=5s expired, scheduling restart.
Apr 24 00:05:05 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 250.
Apr 24 00:05:05 localhost systemd[1]: Stopped proxy arp routing service.
Apr 24 00:05:05 localhost systemd[1]: Starting proxy arp routing service...
Apr 24 00:05:12 localhost systemd-networkd-wait-online[3295]: Event loop failed: Connection timed out
Apr 24 00:05:12 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 24 00:05:12 localhost bash[3298]: Error: any valid prefix is expected rather than "/32".
Apr 24 00:05:12 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 24 00:05:12 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 24 00:05:12 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to start proxy arp routing service.
Apr 24 00:05:17 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Service RestartSec=5s expired, scheduling restart.
Apr 24 00:05:17 localhost systemd[1]: parprouted.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 251.
Apr 24 00:05:17 localhost systemd[1]: Stopped proxy arp routing service.
Apr 24 00:05:17 localhost systemd[1]: Starting proxy arp routing service...

I will investigate.

Reading further in the tutorial mentioned earlier, I changed the content of /etc/systemd/system/parprouted.service

[Unit]
Description=proxy arp routing service
Documentation=https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q/88954/79866

[Service]
Type=forking
# Restart until wlan0 gained carrier
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5
TimeoutStartSec=30
ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/perl -e 'sleep 1 until -e "/sys/class/net/wlan0"'
ExecStartPre=/bin/echo 'parprouted: wlan0 is online'
# clone the dhcp-allocated IP to eth0 so dhcp-helper will relay for the correct subnet
ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c '/sbin/ip addr add $(/sbin/ip -4 addr show wlan0 | /bin/grep -Po "\\d+\\.\\d+\\.\\d+\\.\\d+\/")32 dev eth0'
ExecStartPre=/sbin/ip link set dev eth0 up
ExecStartPre=/sbin/ip link set wlan0 promisc on

#         v minus sign
ExecStart=-/usr/sbin/parprouted eth0 wlan0

ExecStopPost=/sbin/ip link set wlan0 promisc off
ExecStopPost=/sbin/ip link set dev eth0 down
ExecStopPost=/bin/bash -c '/sbin/ip addr del $(/sbin/ip -4 addr show eth0 | /bin/grep -c1 -Po "\\d+\\.\\d+\\.\\d+\\.\\d+")/32 dev eth0'

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

And the error is gone. My PC still can't see the network, but we're progressing.

On 3/30/2020 at 12:38 AM, gounthar said:

I don't really know where to start. I don't want to go the full Monty and install openWRT,

Hit the easy button and install OpenWRT ;)

Done and done - solves your problem.

Move on to other interesting things with your homelab.