Armbian for Amlogic S912

chocho

@buvaluy Nah, I'm sure it's fine. I don't have an S912 box any more so I can't try this idea myself but you could rerun a few benchmarks after issuing this command:

for i in `seq 4 7` ; do echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu$i/online ; done

shutting down the little cores.  (hopefully I got the numbering scheme right)

I have not studied this question, so this is just my assumption. Software or kernel detects 8 cores and try them all in parallel (the same) to use. I am inclined to think that the reason in the software, because other programs\testing (that you asked for at the time), show the full performance by using a basic kernel with a full load.

I've run tomcat site test. xxx/yyy - (java logic time) /(jsp-time[single thread]) 

8 cores

1543/1255 518/932 530/570 579/579 690/365 535/339 688/454 715/384
4 cores

915/530 755/570 572/448 715/285 457/401 453/357 508/261 394/259 467/354 398/191 326/146

Look like 4 cores really better especially jsp(single core) computing. 

Here is bananapi1(A20) results

965/489 856/558 865/326 1108/556 1044/319 851/532 821/301 851/588 735/284

5 hours ago, balbes150 said:

I am inclined to think that the reason in the software, because other programs\testing (that you asked for at the time), show the full performance by using a basic kernel with a full load.

Actually, I remember noticing a few pages back in c-ray, 8-core performance was not scaling as expected, so the issue was already there as well. We were trying to test HMP at the time, that's why nobody thought about doing single-threaded tests.

Turning off little cores makes the frequency scaling behave like any 4-core S905 system, including single-core performance. That's the problem (bug?) here, that is, as long as all cores are online, the frequency gets lowered, even if just 1-2 cores are being used. 

@buvaluy Could you try the most obvious test, activating just one little core to see what happens? Provided you already have just 4 cores active, add one more:

echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/online

Hi everybody,

first of all i would like to thank you balbes150 for his great work.

I've managed to set up Armbian on my S912 TV-Box and run nginx/nextcloud on it. Nginx is also used as a reverse-proxy-server for my windows backend. Now, I try to implement a script which automatically send a wake on lan magic paket to the windows backend if needed. For this reason I would like to log the iptables. Unfortunately the kernel has not enabled the LOG module. To enable the LOG module the kernel has to be confired with CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG enabled.
Is it possible to change the kernel? Please indulge me, i am pretty new in linux...

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:25 PM, logol said:

To enable the LOG module the kernel has to be confired with CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG enabled.

As well as these options, needed for running iotop:

- I/O accounting support (CONFIG_TASKSTATS, CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT, CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING)

On 4/15/2017 at 0:15 PM, buvaluy said:

cray 8core/5core/4core            114/166/195        (less is better)

ramspeed 8core/5core/4core  1162/1208/5000  (more is better)

Yeah, that 2nd benchmark utilises just 2 cores, so it's clear the number of active cores doesn't matter as long as just one little core remains online.  Amlogic should be asked to clarify what's going on here.  I sincerely hope we're not witnessing another S905 2GHz situation.

@buvaluy Could you try using the hotplug governor? It should be able to work around this limitation, giving us either 1-4 fast cores or 5-8 slower cores automatically. 

cray:

8core_hotplug     114

8core_ondemand 114

4core_ondemand 114

4core_hotplug     198

ramspeed

8core_hotplug     1460

8core_ondemand 1141

4core_ondemand 5133

4core_hotplug     5103

cpufreq-set -g hotplug, just set 4 first cores to hotpug mode, other stays ondemand.

15 minutes ago, buvaluy said:

cray:

4core_ondemand 114

That's a typo, 8 cores were definitely used. Other than that, it seems the unholy alliance of big.little scheduling and DVFS settings are causing this issue. 

You could either experiment with some cpufreq tunables or try rebuilding the kernel with:

`CONFIG_ARM_DT_BL_CPUFREQ=y`. Not sure if it's possible to disable `CONFIG_ARM_BIG_LITTLE_CPUFREQ` altogether.

https://github.com/150balbes/lib/blob/master/config/kernel/linux-amlogics905x-default.config#L451-L452

Hi all.
I try this build for TV BOX X98pro s912 3gb/32gb 
I boot from USB flash. All work fine, network, wifi, bluetooth
But firefox in youtube not play sound  I install chromium, work great.
Thanks for your work. I will be test this build some time.

x98-pro-amlogic-s912-3gb-32gb-android-6-0.jpg

On 05.05.2017 at 2:20 PM, wfpower said:

Hi.

Can you write step by step manual for installing arambian on beelenk gt1 on internal storage?

With links of latest version of firmware and tools for flashing.

write image to sd-card

update android with file from sd-card(aml_update.zip

boot from sd-card

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/tronsmart-ac/firmware-roms-tools-at/565449-running-linux-from-sd-card-or-usb-flash-drive-using-balbes150-method-and-files

https://yadi.sk/d/5_32km_EsCV2A/ARMBIAN

On 5/5/2017 at 1:20 PM, wfpower said:

Can you write step by step manual for installing arambian on beelenk gt1 on internal storage?

The way you phrased the question means the answer probably entails just one step, namely, running /root/install.sh :)

The new version of images Armbian (Test\20170519) kernel 4.9.26 models S905X and S912. In these images works HDMI USB network.

I checked this version will run from a USB flash drive on Tronsmart S96 (s912) . The system is started. Graphics works, you can control the mouse, but I have not worked a wired network. Please s912 to try this way. I was interested in working wired network.

9 hours ago, Nofan Tasi said:

@pszab do you now which shared library is supposed to have the code for hw acceleration?

Dont know anything. That's why i asked. And as I know s912 supports x265 encoding by hw.

15 hours ago, pszab said:

Dont know anything. That's why i asked. And as I know s912 supports x265 encoding by hw.

Reason why I asked is: one can find which libraries, for example, ffmpeg uses and then see if any of these are known to be responsible for the hw encoding.

For example on my amd64 desktop with nvidia hw acceleration, the library is 'vdpau' and ffmpeg uses it.

gentoo@desktop ~ $ lddtree $(which ffmpeg) | grep vdpau
        libvdpau.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libvdpau.so.1

But for arm64 I actually do not even know if the graphics is nvidia, I guess it is arm. Perhaps 'mali' But then my ubuntu and gentoo ffmpeg do not use it

(ubuntu) root@minimx-g:~# lddtree $(which ffmpeg) | grep -i mali
(gentoo) minimx-g ~ # lddtree $(which ffmpeg) | grep -i mali

The ubuntu arm64 ffmpeg does use vdpau but I kind of doubt if that is proving anything.

What a great project.

I did installed Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_xfce_20170531.img.xz and then Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20170531.img.xz on USB Drive. just to know which suit for me.

Debian works faster but couldn't play the 2 video files in the desktop.

Ubuntu works slower but play those 2 video files good.

the problem I have with the WIFI. I couldn't get it to work (in both distro) BT and LAN cable works fine.

And when I copy dtb to boot folder,  LAN also stop working. and the video become choppy when full screen.

BTW. I did use it without keyboard. managed to get to desktop using SSH connection from another computer

Beelink GT1 G912 (Same as S912)