Armbian for Amlogic S912

chocho

@balbes150

Please disregard my forum request for assistance from 04-16-2018.

I was able to burn the VIM2Max DualOS to eMMC and I added U-boot.

I also was able to fix my microSD socket problem and don't need to use USB for booting.

Now I just need to add your latest Armbian Debian Server version that can handle S912.

Could you point me to the latest and greatest?

Thanks

2 hours ago, colgeocol said:

Please disregard my forum request for assistance from 04-16-2018.

I was able to burn the VIM2Max DualOS to eMMC and I added U-boot.

I also was able to fix my microSD socket problem and don't need to use USB for booting.

Now I just need to add your latest Armbian Debian Server version that can handle S912.

Could you point me to the latest and greatest?

Sorry, I'm using a computer translation and I don't understand your question. Describe in detail what the problem is.

will there be a distro for this unit? i am using the ubuntu mate provided from the manufacturer but it doesnt take advantage of the gpu.  I am getting hooked on armbian and want it on all my devices.

On 5/2/2018 at 7:25 PM, colgeocol said:

Could you point me to your latest Armbian Debian Server version that can support S912 and Mali-T820MP3 GPU? 

There are no such options.

Hello, I have a beelink gt1, can you tell me which version of armbian mate I have to install? In the armbian folder on yandex I see many distro (mali, no mali, 4.9 etc etc) but I don't know which is the right one. Can someone help me? Thanks

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Ioime said:

Hello, I have a beelink gt1, can you tell me which version of armbian mate I have to install? In the armbian folder on yandex I see many distro (mali, no mali, 4.9 etc etc) but I don't know which is the right one. Can someone help me? Thanks

It depends on what you want from Armbian (what functions).

I'm not sure any of the proposed image has vpu software, which make plex less interesting (no transcoding). I currently use a 5.37 based image with kernel 3.14 and this functionality is not installed by default.

Well done on Armbian for s912.

I have a Mecool km8 S912 TV box.  Previously I had installed Kodi and it worked great and played 10 Bit x265 video files. (It did though occasionally FREEZE when playing x265) Supposedly this is due to overheating..

I have now installed onto a 16mb USB flash drive Armbian_5.41_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_xfce_20180305 and to my complete astonishment my Mecool KM* s912  booted and ran Armbian.

I have a few issues though.

Whenever I try to run a complex high CPU program it seems to overheat and I get a BLUE screen.

I can run remote desktop and have Ethernet connection. Should I have also installed a CONFIGURATION file?

Should I install some sort of fan cooling?

Seasalt

On 5/8/2018 at 6:59 PM, balbes150 said:

There are no such options.

Balbes

Ia m running S912 Armbian latest version regularly updating,

Can I change the screen resolution . 1080p on my TV makes everything small. I can not find any way of doing this.

The "sudo apt-get update" command brings down 40mb of files each time is this correct?

I have added a small 5volt raspberry pi fan to the S912 CPU using cable ties. It brings the idle temperature down to 39 Celsius on Armbianmonitor. Basically a 10 degree drop. I think I will do it to my 2 other Mecool s912 boards.

How would you describe the s912 version of Armbian. Could it be described as experimental or stable?

Thanks so much for your work.

Seasalt.

3 hours ago, Seasalt said:

Ia m running S912 Armbian latest version regularly updating,

Can I change the screen resolution . 1080p on my TV makes everything small. I can not find any way of doing this.

The "sudo apt-get update" command brings down 40mb of files each time is this correct?

I have added a small 5volt raspberry pi fan to the S912 CPU using cable ties. It brings the idle temperature down to 39 Celsius on Armbianmonitor. Basically a 10 degree drop. I think I will do it to my 2 other Mecool s912 boards.

How would you describe the s912 version of Armbian. Could it be described as experimental or stable?

Thanks so much for your work.

I don't know what exactly version it is.

46 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

I don't know what exactly version it is.

Hi Balbes,

i installed this Armbian_5.41_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_3.14.29_xfce_20180305 3 weeks ago on my Mecool km8 S912 TV Box.and have been upgrading it using apt-get update and upgrade.

Seasalt.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

4 hours ago, Seasalt said:

That's okay. Packet base network reach quickly updated. But this does not mean that you need all the time to put new versions. If everything works as it should, you can not update.

4 hours ago, Seasalt said:

It's all relative.

@balbes150,

Sorry to bother you again but I have another dumb question.

I downloaded and burned to a microSD card the Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_4.16.1_server_20180508.img.

It came up great.

I thought I modified all required files/scripts but the framebuffer directories are not being created.

Are there other scripts that need to be modified?

If yes, which ones and where?

If no, what did I do wrong?

7 hours ago, colgeocol said:

Sorry to bother you again but I have another dumb question.

I downloaded and burned to a microSD card the Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Debian_stretch_4.16.1_server_20180508.img.

It came up great.

I thought I modified all required files/scripts but the framebuffer directories are not being created.

Are there other scripts that need to be modified?

If yes, which ones and where?

If no, what did I do wrong?

What directories are you trying to create and for what ?

My VIM2 Max running your Armbian server needs to be able to display to a 4K UHD monitor through HDMI.

What I am looking for is everything that I need to install or modify to handle framebuffer (/dev/fb0) graphics.

I think the problem is how I am handling the setup.

I copied the kvim2_linux.dtb to BOOT and renamed it dtb.img.

This is my hdmi.sh.

-----------------------

#!/bin/sh

bpp=32
mode=2160p60hz

for x in $(cat /proc/cmdline); do
        case ${x} in
                m_bpp=*) export bpp=${x#*=} ;;
                hdmimode=*) export mode=${x#*=} ;;
        esac
done

HPD_STATE=/sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/hpd_state
DISP_CAP=/sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap
DISP_MODE=/sys/class/display/mode

echo $mode > $DISP_MODE

# required X and Y for 3840x2160 4K UHD

export X=3840
export Y=2160

common_display_setup() {
        M="0 0 $(($X - 1)) $(($Y - 1))"
        Y_VIRT=$(($Y * 2))
        fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -g $X $Y $X $Y_VIRT $bpp
        fbset -fb /dev/fb1 -g 32 32 32 32
        echo $mode > /sys/class/display/mode
        echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale
        echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/freescale_mode
        echo $M > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/free_scale_axis
        echo $M > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/window_axis

echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/free_scale
        echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/freescale_mode
}

# run this subroutine

common_display_setup

# Enable framebuffer device

echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank

# Blank fb1 to prevent static noise

echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank

# Make cursor invisible

echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink

exit 0

-----------------------

Is my hdmi.sh okay?  If not, what do you suggest I modify?

Are there other scripts that I need to modify?

Do I have to install some App?

Thanks

Hello. I'm trying to make some tests in the VIM2 (image Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20180515.img by @balbes150), and I need to limit the available physical memory size to 1G. However, creating the file "/boot/armbianEnv.txt" and setting the parameter "mem=1G" seems not to have any effect. Is there a different way to set kernel parameters in your images? Thanks.

31 minutes ago, JMCC said:

setting the parameter "mem=1G" seems not to have any effect

You would do it that way:

extraargs="maxcpus=4"
extraargs="mem=1G"
extraargs="maxcpus=1 mem=1G"

No way. Tried with single, double, and no quotes, and it doesn't have any effect.

[EDIT: /var/log/armhwinfo.log shows the parameter as being passed to the kernel. It is the same with quotes:]

Spoiler

### boot environment:

extraargs=mem=1G
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

### meminfo:

MemTotal:        2754696 kB

14 hours ago, JMCC said:

I need to limit the available physical memory size to 1G.

I'm not sure that will help.

Change the size of the DTS file and collect the desired dtb.

https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel/blob/khadas-3.14/arch/arm64/boot/dts/kvim2_multios.dts#L9

You may have to build a new u-boot with the desired memory size value.

https://github.com/150balbes/u-boot/blob/Nougat-Ubuntu/board/khadas/configs/kvim2.h#L310

5 hours ago, JMCC said:

Thank you very much. Do you think the kernel parameter approach will work on a mainline kernel image?

I don't know, I haven't tested these modes. You may need to make changes to the kernel and system configuration.

I have also added a 5volt raspberry Pi fan to the s912 chip.

Using Armbian monitor I can see that adding the fan has taken the standby temperature from 53 Celsius to 37 Celsius. Also under load it still appears to be lower than 60 Celsius unlike before when it was up in the 75 range.

I strongly recommend adding a small fan to the s912.