armbian Bionic desktop 1388x768 asus tinkerboard s hdmi tv resolution

trip

Hello, I own a Tinker Board S (bought one or two years ago) attached to a Sony Bravia KDL 22EX320 TV by HDMI, which has a native resolution of 1388x768 pixels.

Bionic desktop with kernel 5.4 (got from https://dl.armbian.com/tinkerboard/Bionic_current_desktop) didn't properly recognize the TV resolution, but set it to 1920x1024.

If I run

xrandr --props

the resolution is not listed.

I'm posting because I'm almost sure that the old TinkerOS 2.0.8 (that I installed with the board) recognized the TV resolution correctly - it anyway boots to desktop without requiring interaction, so not being able to read the text at the edges of the console is not a big issue - and I just tested that the current 2.1.11 does too: they both start in 1920x1024, but the Monitor settings windows lists 1360x768.

Back to Armbian, I however managed to create the default user and to get to the Bionic desktop; I'd like to add that the display settings window should have a "Test" function that reverts to the previous settings if the new aren't confirmed, because if the chosen resolution isn't supported, the screen stays black.

41 minutes ago, trip said:

Back to Armbian, I however managed to create the default user and to get to the Bionic desktop; I'd like to add that the display settings window should have a "Test" function that reverts to the previous settings if the new aren't confirmed, because if the chosen resolution isn't supported, the screen stays black.

This is not exactly a problem of Armbian but our common problem. Features are not developed ... If you want to have the same level of hw support as on TinkerOS, you need to use Armbian with the same 4.4.y kernel found in TinkerOS.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

This is not exactly a problem of Armbian but our common problem. Features are not developed ... If you want to have the same level of hw support as on TinkerOS, you need to use Armbian with the same 4.4.y kernel found in TinkerOS.

Hi Igor, thanks. I'm all new to Linux, ARM, Tinker Board, etc. I just tought higher version number means more features :D

I've currently flashed back the latest TinkerOS, but I'll give a try with the Bionic legacy desktop with 4.4 kernel when I can.

28 minutes ago, trip said:

I just tought higher version number means more features

In ideal theoretical world. Vendor only supports one specific kernel and doesn't care about maintaining or upgrades. Most of the stuff that comes to the modern kernel is done within expensive process (porting and development from scratch) and its mainly community work. Vendor brings it up on 4.4.y and forgets about you.

Hey, the 4.4-kernel based desktop works even better: it recognized the correct TV resolution even at boot, so the first login prompt and password changes steps are easily done!

Thank you.