NTFS Hard drive and Samba Share

Dean

I've spent a day going crazy trying to sort this and am failing.

I want to share an NTFS USB hard drive via samba to a windows machine. At the moment I have shared the home directory which works fine but whenever I try to access the NTFS USB drive I get a permission error from the Windows machine.

As far as I can glean it's to do with mounting permissions on the NTFS drive but how do I sort this when armbian automounts the drive?

I hope im not too late in offering assistance, i can help there.

can you post me up your /etc/samba/smb.conf and i will check it over.

first question, are you doing this as:

a standalone server?

part of a windows domain?
as a Domain Controller?

armbian automounts the drive?

Armbian does not automount anything. Armbian is a build framework using one of 4 different Debian based distros (some of them showing auto-mount capabilities in some installation variants, some not). So please tell us which distro you're exactly using and then I fear the necessary steps to prevent auto-mounting (and putting correct parameters in /etc/fstab) are just one web search away?

I hope im not too late in offering assistance, i can help there.

can you post me up your /etc/samba/smb.conf and i will check it over.

first question, are you doing this as:

a standalone server?

part of a windows domain?

as a Domain Controller?

Thanks for your help.

smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup WORKGROUP
security = user
interfaces = lo eth0
bind interfaces only = true
map to guest = bad user
usershare allow guests = yes

[Public]
path = /media/orangepi/Backup
writable  = yes
browsable = yes
guest ok = yes
guest account = orangepi
public = yes
read only = no
create mask = 0775
directory masj 0775

[home]
path = /home/orangepi
writeable = yes
public = yes
only guest = yes

As far as I'm aware I'm trying to use the share as a standalone server, as stated the 'home' share works but it's the 'public' share which fails.

Armbian does not automount anything. Armbian is a build framework using one of 4 different Debian based distros (some of them showing auto-mount capabilities in some installation variants, some not). So please tell us which distro you're exactly using and then I fear the necessary steps to prevent auto-mounting (and putting correct parameters in /etc/fstab) are just one web search away?

I'm using Armbian_5.10_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop. You're probably right with it being a search away but when you can't see the wood for all the trees and you don't know you're looking at the wood, it's a bit hard.

I'm using Armbian_5.10_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop.

So did you already try to add this specific drive to /etc/fstab (preferrably using the UUID that blkid outputs?). This way you can specify mount options and this should also prevent auto-mounting later.

So did you already try to add this specific drive to /etc/fstab (preferrably using the UUID that blkid outputs?). This way you can specify mount options and this should also prevent auto-mounting later.

No, because I don't know what I'm doing.

I've added:

UUID=01D1C0AE8B1ED070 /media/orangepi/Backup/ ntfs-3g auto,users,uid=1000,gid=100,dmask=027,fmask=137,utf8 0 0

which seems to still mount the drive but I don't know whether it's the automount or the updated fstab which is mounting the drive. The share still doesn't work.

I've added:

UUID=01D1C0AE8B1ED070 /media/orangepi/Backup/ ntfs-3g auto,users,uid=1000,gid=100,dmask=027,fmask=137,utf8 0 0

which seems to still mount the drive but I don't know whether it's the automount or the updated fstab which is mounting the drive. The share still doesn't work.

Ok, some things to mention (and we really need to update our documentation since most if not all 'userland' problems are not Armbian specific but in this case just 'plain Debian jessie' which might help finding solutions since users realize that this is nothing specific to Armbian but the installed distro variant instead).

• /etc/fstab only gets consulted at boot time or if you issue a 'sudo mount -a' (since I'm not familiar with desktop stuff I don't know whether it's necessary to 'eject' the mounted drive before)
  • the UUID might not be correct so starting with the exact device -- most probably /dev/sda1 -- that 'cat /etc/mtab' outputs should ensure that you use the correct options
  • Creating a different mountpoint than the one the automount used might be a good idea (again: No idea about Linux but in OS X this is highly recommended to do static mounts not below /Volumes where automatic mounts happen). So maybe doing an 'sudo mkdir -p -m2777 /media/static/Backup' and switching to this path in /etc/fstab and smb.conf will succeed

Once this is resolved potential smb.conf issues should be addressed.

@Dean

First, please check your permissions on directory and files you are trying to share (i.e. "ls -la /media/orangepi/Backup")

Assuming user "orangepi" (uid 1000 from fstab mount options) has read access, try adding

force user = orangepi

to your [Public] section and restarting samba

Also you may want to fix the typo

directory masj 0775

and I would not recommend using

create mask = 0775

for security reasons, 0664 would be better IMO

I don't know whether it's the automount or the updated fstab which is mounting the drive. The share still doesn't work.

You can check output of "mount" to see if options from fsbab were applied to this mount point

Ok, some things to mention (and we really need to update our documentation since most if not all 'userland' problems are not Armbian specific but in this case just 'plain Debian jessie' which might help finding solutions since users realize that this is nothing specific to Armbian but the installed distro variant instead).

• /etc/fstab only gets consulted at boot time or if you issue a 'sudo mount -a' (since I'm not familiar with desktop stuff I don't know whether it's necessary to 'eject' the mounted drive before)
  • the UUID might not be correct so starting with the exact device -- most probably /dev/sda1 -- that 'cat /etc/mtab' outputs should ensure that you use the correct options
  • Creating a different mountpoint than the one the automount used might be a good idea (again: No idea about Linux but in OS X this is highly recommended to do static mounts not below /Volumes where automatic mounts happen). So maybe doing an 'sudo mkdir -p -m2777 /media/static/Backup' and switching to this path in /etc/fstab and smb.conf will succeed

Once this is resolved potential smb.conf issues should be addressed.

Thanks, managed to mount it in a static directory.

@Dean

First, please check your permissions on directory and files you are trying to share (i.e. "ls -la /media/orangepi/Backup")

Assuming user "orangepi" (uid 1000 from fstab mount options) has read access, try adding

force user = orangepi

to your [Public] section and restarting samba

Also you may want to fix the typo

directory masj 0775

and I would not recommend using

create mask = 0775

for security reasons, 0664 would be better IMO

You can check output of "mount" to see if options from fsbab were applied to this mount point

Fixed the error and forced the user and now I connect to the share and I can create files etc.

Many thanks to you all for helping me out.

@all

you guys dont hang about! I have just logged on to attempt to answer/assist and its all fixed.

@Dean

it may be a good idea for you to write up the steps you took to install and configure the "simple" samba setup you are using. From finding the blkid / setting static mount etc. I will gladly proof read it for you and advise where any corrections may be necessary For the following reasons.

1 - as a "newbie" your instructions and experience will match the experience of most people new to samba and this will save a lot of people a lot of headaches

2 - It will help you should you ever need to do this again

3 - It will add to the instantly available knowledge on the forum

4 - It will save me doing it :D :D

I *think* this is the procedure but someone may have to confirm the steps.

Put in your external NTFS drive into a USB port and make sure it works

Create a new mount point for the NTFS drive
sudo mkdir -p -m2777 /media/static/Backup

find the name of your NTFS drive 
cat /etc/mtab

find your user id in and note the gid and uid

id
Edit fstab
sudo nano /etc/fstab

to (dev/sda1 is your name that you noted above, /media/static/Backup is the mountpoint you created and uid and gid is your user details)
/dev/sda1 /media/static/Backup/ ntfs auto,users,uid=1000,gid=100,dmask=027,fmask=137,utf8 0 0

Install Samba 
apt-get install libcups2 samba samba-common cups

Open Samba configure
nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

remove everything and alter it to (change 'orangepi' to your username)

[global]
workgroup WORKGROUP
security = user
interfaces = lo eth0
bind interfaces only = true
map to guest = bad user
usershare allow guests = yes
force user = orangepi

[Public]
path = /media/static/Backup
writable  = yes
browsable = yes