How to obtain changes made in latest image without reinstallation?

cibomato

Hi Igor,

I've read about your latest image and I'd like to obtain the stability fixes you've made.

Is there a way to get this without doing a whole fresh installation? Idoubt that an aptitude upgrade will bring me these changes!?

Thanks and best regards,

Jochen

Check FAQ, section kernel update. The only note here is that you also need to update u-boot since most likely there is a problem.

Download my kernel TAR pack, uncompress and install with:

dpkg -i FILENAME

Soon this part will be solvable via apt-get update / upgrade. I am working on it.

hi Igor,

very  great work, i have the same problem but i'm using banana router ( lamobo r1) how to  update to your latest version without reinstalling all from zero ?

thank you  a lot

Remy

Sorry, may be a misunderstand, i mean how to  upgrade from previous version of debia wheezy, to your latest, not to jessy ( omv don't work  with  this one)

thank you

Aha, this is missing from FAQ.

Download latest root filesystem and install with dpkg -i

This is the latest at the moment:

http://mirror.igorpecovnik.com/rootfs/linux-wheezy-root-lamobo-r1_3.2_armhf.deb

Kernel upgrade is also advisable. That's described in FAQ. If you are on 3.4.10 upgrade to latest 3.4.x, if you are on 3.19 or higher upgrade to latest 4.x .. You can also upgrade from 3.4 to 4.x but make sure you know about the limitations and changes.

i followed the instructions in the FAQ to upgrade the kernel (to 4.0.5). from 3.4.

in the archive i found also a new firmware image and linux-libc-dev. the faq does not indicte that they should be installed - is this correct? why?

--

after the installation, the boot starts and hangs with "starting kernel".

it would be helpful in the FAQ if you could suggest how to fix things if something goes wrong.

the update i did on the ssd and thus i thought i could just start with the old system i had on the sd memory card. but chaning the boot.scr there did not resolve the problem. it still hangs with 'starting kernel'.

what can be done?

thank you for your good work!

Firmware upgrade is not needed because it's the same. Libc also not. Technically you only need to change kernel, U-boot is highly recommended since you can only boot up with one CPU if you don't change u-boot. This part might be fixed with latest u-boot but with the one available for download you need to do.

If you want to boot old kernel you need to remove file .next in /boot That's the trick to mention - but it's seen from boot.cmd ... What else can be wrong? 4.0.5 ... If you are booting from SATA it's possible that it's not supported in this kernel yet. Rather use more recent kernel. That one boots from SATA for sure.

Next image is coming with apt-get upgrade for kernel.