Allwinner H5 phased out?

dolphs

Coincidentally a pal tried to order an OPi Zero Plus H5 not long ago via Aliexpress but got refunded with the reason the chip manufacturer needs to put his factories back online and if he does they will not produce H5 SoCs anymore.

The answer coming from FriendlyArm is not promising either:  " Sorry, we can't buy the h5 chip now. It will be difficult for us to continue to produce NEO2 Black boards.  "

This comes close to what you described @Werner

Luckily I just ordered a few NEO2 blacks from Ali ( at least it seems they were in stock ) - interesting ...

2 hours ago, dolphs said:

The answer coming from FriendlyArm is not promising either:  " Sorry, we can't buy the h5 chip now. It will be difficult for us to continue to produce NEO2 Black boards.  "

This comes close to what you described @Werner

there is then also (no more?) NanoPi Neo2/NeoCore2 in a LTS-version - only the Neo/NeoCore/NeoAir H3 line has LTS-support

So - what will be the "big next thing" as CPU? ;) H6/H64/H313/H616 on a like Neo2-device?
http://www.allwinnertech.com/index.php?c=product&a=index&pid=6

next_Allwinner_H_CPU.jpg

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Confirmed from my sources. No more H5, H6 is going to be its successor ...

When H6 then hopefully a Rev2, because of

- The PCIe implementation is broken.
-The Watchdog implementation is broken.
see https://linux-sunxi.org/H6

The old board we wouldt see - I think - because the H6 isnt pin-compatible like the H5 partly was to the H3 (and H2+) 

@Igor straight from my source :  " Sorry, the original factory no longer produces h5 boards, we have to stop production " so mainlining effort done just in time I suppose and we will have soon collector items

@guidol - Only time can tell, but indeed it is quite strange what happened around the NEO2 H5, many revisions and perhaps a small similar board will be recreated based on one of the new H boards. as Igor said most likely H6   

1 hour ago, dolphs said:

@guidol -  is quite strange what happened around the NEO2 H5, many revisions 

Yes - I have to "older" 512MB versions and only one the the "LTS" 1GB version
I think the 1GB version will be a very rare item in the future ;)
All the got their own silver FriendlyArm NAS-case - which does for me a very fine job.

1 hour ago, guidol said:

Yes - I have to "older" 512MB versions and only one the the "LTS" 1GB version
I think the 1GB version will be a very rare item in the future

I do envy you, as I have a 256Mb (1.0) / 512Mb (LTS 1.1 which does 1.3v thus 1300 cpu ) and just ordered most likely NEO2 black editions from a last batch.

H6 OrangePiOnePlus also does good job for my usage, HOWEVER it is the size/performance that makes this NEO2 board so interesting. 

we'll see what happens next 

9 hours ago, dolphs said:

it is the size/performance that makes this NEO2 board so interesting. 

Totally agree!! There are faster/more powerful boards, but the NEO form-factor is super nice - the Plus2 is awesome as it has eMMC + Wi-Fi, and the Black is awesome because of the eMMC socket and variable-voltage regulator (allowing up to 1.4GHz operation), and perhaps most importantly the tiny 40mm^2 size.  Their small metal cases for all of these are super nice as well.  I only hope that they continue with the tiny form-factor with the replacements...!!

I have a  Neo2. I really like the 40mmx40mm size. I sure hope they keep that form factor.  I love these little boards I am running pi-hole on mine and have experimented with a few other things.  Would love to buy a handful to experiment with. Honestly would love to see one with wifi and 3.5 mm audio out. it does not have to be the greatest sound just good enough to build a few airplay receivers for the low end speakers I have laying around for full house audio. 

On 4/19/2020 at 11:24 PM, Igor said:

Confirmed from my sources. No more H5, H6 is going to be its successor ... but this doesn't necesarely means we will see old boards with this chip.

Allwinner will continue to make chips of any variant as long as there is a minimum order quantity (MOQ) commitment upfront with cash to spin up the fab...

Might take a volume commitment - they will definitely make that happen, if the volume is enough to be profitable...

Olimex went thru this exercise with the Allwinner T2/A20 chip...

Just takes the money to make it happen...

2 hours ago, dolphs said:

Looks like NEO3 entered the arena with rk3328 chipset guess this will be adapted shortly by armbian in this section.

I believe in theory this board could run on 1,4Ghz just like the NEO2 Black does, for now I skip this one

Interesting board perhaps as it continues the NEO footprint - probably not compatible with the hats/housing, but makes up with other interesting bits...

• USB-C for power only - IIRC, the Neo/Neo2 was uUSB with OTG, so win some, lose some
  • 1GB/2GB DDR4, and two banks of it - that's nice
  • CPU/DDR4 mounted on the bottom of the board, very nice to get some heat out in a metal case.
  • USB3 - very nice...

Downsides...

• Rockchip - maybe for some, not for others, but it'll be a learning curve for NEO folks used to AW H3/H
  • FAN connector - not sure if this is a good thing? or does the Rockchip need some thermal assistance

NanoPi_NEO3-layout.jpg.b59b2f9ceeb4c032d3db319d8a464997.jpg

Definitely will be keeping an eye on it.  For now I am looking at the NanoPI 2RS as a Router.  Especially since there is OpenWRT build for it. 

I am happy with the wifi performance I am just not to happy with how long it takes netgear to patch problems... if ever. 

https://github.com/jayanta525/openwrt-nanopi-r2s/releases

Xunlong is putting out another batch of H5 devices at the end of the month.

Is there any particular reason to go with a H5 board these days? As I understand it, the advantage it has over the H3 are the gigabit ethernet and the 64-bit architecture, while being a bit more mature on mainline and Armbian than the H6 or similar Rockchips?

On 8/13/2020 at 5:58 PM, P.P.A. said:

Xunlong is putting out another batch of H5 devices at the end of the month.

Is there any particular reason to go with a H5 board these days? As I understand it, the advantage it has over the H3 are the gigabit ethernet and the 64-bit architecture, while being a bit more mature on mainline and Armbian than the H6 or similar Rockchips?

imho H5 runs *much* cooler than RK3328 does, which makes it an appealing target for me personally :)

On 7/11/2020 at 10:42 AM, sfx2000 said:

Interesting board perhaps as it continues the NEO footprint - probably not compatible with the hats/housing, but makes up with other interesting bits...

• USB-C for power only - IIRC, the Neo/Neo2 was uUSB with OTG, so win some, lose some
  • 1GB/2GB DDR4, and two banks of it - that's nice
  • CPU/DDR4 mounted on the bottom of the board, very nice to get some heat out in a metal case.
  • USB3 - very nice...

Downsides...

• Rockchip - maybe for some, not for others, but it'll be a learning curve for NEO folks used to AW H3/H
  • FAN connector - not sure if this is a good thing? or does the Rockchip need some thermal assistance

This will almost certainly have thermal issues (see: R2S). The small heat sink they currently have is absolutely pathetic. I'll be waiting for an aluminium enclosure :)

On 8/14/2020 at 4:39 AM, utgf said:

This will almost certainly have thermal issues (see: R2S). The small heat sink they currently have is absolutely pathetic. I'll be waiting for an aluminium enclosure

CNX has samples from FA - both the Neo3 and the R2S... unboxing article is up.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/08/20/nanopi-neo3-and-nanopi-r2s-gateways-review-part-1-unboxing-teardown/

Looking forward to Jean Luc's next article on those two units...

12 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

CNX has samples from FA - both the Neo3 and the R2S... unboxing article is up.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/08/20/nanopi-neo3-and-nanopi-r2s-gateways-review-part-1-unboxing-teardown/

Looking forward to Jean Luc's next article on those two units...

It's rather unfortunate that they took out USB otg on the NEO3 :(

Thermal issue was confirmed by a friend. Thing runs at 85C on light loads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.