x96 Air specifics only

Albert Barcelona

I'm running Armbian_20.08.0_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.7.0-rc7_20200531 on my X96 air. It's been very stable and unlike a previous version I ran reboot works.

I'm trying to disable optical out, any idea on how to do this?

I used meson-sm1-sei610.dtb and u-boot-s905x2-s922 renamed to u-boot.ext. booted fine but no ethernet.

But with meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix i  am stuck at random: crng init done

Anyone got ethernet working?

Sorry for my ignorance, I made a mistake in extlinux.conf and had two different dtb files selected.

Worked fine when i left only sei610-ethfix uncommented.

But, I can't get to the "Install" option from within armbian-config or nand-sata-install.

I have replaced the 2A power supply it came with (which i highly doubt was capable of true  2A) with a much better quality 3A power supply. I seem to be experiencing much less slow down at peak CPU load. I had to solder my own DC barrel plug on the 3A power supply as the plug on it was smaller than 5.5x2.1mm. Luckily a 10 pack of 5.5x2.1 plugs is very cheap on ebay.

I also was seeing temperatures rise as high as 68C. I bought a pack of small aluminum adhesive heatsinks on eBay. I put one on the SOC (which had only a piece of squishy foam as its cooler!), one on each RAM / Flash memory chip, and one of the Wifi module. I am now unable to push it past 55C even under sustained full load.

All in all very worth it for a serious Armbian user to do these small fixes, especially the 3 amp power supply, i  am seeing such better performance compared to the X96 Air in stock form with these two mods.

I was planning on adding a cutout for a fan, but i'm not sure it's needed after all.

18 hours ago, Uwu said:

I have replaced the 2A power supply it came with (which i highly doubt was capable of true  2A) with a much better quality 3A power supply. I seem to be experiencing much less slow down at peak CPU load. I had to solder my own DC barrel plug on the 3A power supply as the plug on it was smaller than 5.5x2.1mm. Luckily a 10 pack of 5.5x2.1 plugs is very cheap on ebay.

I also was seeing temperatures rise as high as 68C. I bought a pack of small aluminum adhesive heatsinks on eBay. I put one on the SOC (which had only a piece of squishy foam as its cooler!), one on each RAM / Flash memory chip, and one of the Wifi module. I am now unable to push it past 55C even under sustained full load.

All in all very worth it for a serious Armbian user to do these small fixes, especially the 3 amp power supply, i  am seeing such better performance compared to the X96 Air in stock form with these two mods.

I was planning on adding a cutout for a fan, but i'm not sure it's needed after all.

What size heat sinks did you get? Does it still fit in the original case?

On 8/28/2020 at 6:15 PM, mcb777 said:

What size heat sinks did you get? Does it still fit in the original case?

Hi,

No case  modification needed, it fits perfectly without changing anything.

though i was wondering if putting some thermal paste in the space between the SoC heatsink and small hotsink shield on the case would help more.

(Stock configuration has the foam piece between the SoC and case heatsink)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-Aluminum-Adhesive-Heatsink-VGA-Card-Xbox360-PS-DDR-RAM-HeatSink-Cooler/181682773243?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Werner locked this topic