Please help me find the best board for me

Guest Haxy

Hi all,

Currently I have old BananaPI but it is not enough for me now (Owncloud is very slow)

Please help me found new board.

I need:

*fast proc

*at least 2GB ram

*gigabits ethernet

*nativ Sata or USB3

*I don't need wifi or bluetooth

*good armbian support

I want to use this server with: Owncloud, openvpn, deluge-torrent, rpi-monitor, minidlna, samba

Thx for replay.

As I know ux4 isn't fully support by armbian. (Problem with procesor?)

What can you tell about performance of ux4? Is it enough for Owncloud?

Maybe something similar but cheaper?

@Haxy,

1/ Sure XU4 is a little bit expensive with 4 little cores @1.4GHz and 4 big cores @2GHz. But it is heating... so it has a fan (quite noisy) OR you can replace with a bigger heatsink

2/ legacy Armbian is running fine. Samsung opensource team has put a lot of support in kernel 4.6

3/ it is quite powerful... my only board which can run Thunderbird mail client. Igor runs www.armbian.com and forum.armbian.com on a XU4

4/ maybe someone has a better idea but other boards matching your needs will be more expensive.

Thank you very much for your help.

I think I am going to buy xu4 with NAS case.

You mentioned about kernel 4.6 but I can see armbian only with 3.10 on download page.

So what system do you use?

@Haxy

Currently the Armbian patched kernel 3.10.x

I have compiled the kernel 4.6 as per

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/632-device-specific-odroid-xu4/?p=9822

I run the system from eMMC instead of SD card (I would need to remove the eMMC module to make sure I boot from SD card) so I haven't tested 4.6 yet

edit:

another recipe

https://blogs.s-osg.org/install-ubuntu-run-mainline-kernel-odroid-xu4/

Edited by wildcat_paris
last piece of news

When we should expect kernel 4 for xu4 in armbian in download page? I don't want to try complied kernel from source.

What can you tell about performance of ux4? Is it enough for Owncloud?

What are the performance requirements for Owncloud? Is it CPU bound? Or disk bound? Or memory bound? How does the output of the following looks like:

apt-get install sysstat
iostat 5 20
armbianmonitor -u

What are the performance requirements for Owncloud? Is it CPU bound? Or disk bound? Or memory bound? How does the output of the following looks like:

apt-get install sysstat
iostat 5 20
armbianmonitor -u

"What are the performance requirements for Owncloud?" I dont now what perf. req for Owncloud are, I have BananaPI (first version) with sata disk and Owncloud is terrible slow (I use nginx and php7)

"How does the output of the following looks like:" I Use Bananian not Armbian

"What are the performance requirements for Owncloud?" I dont now what perf. req for Owncloud are, I have BananaPI (first version) with sata disk and Owncloud is terrible slow (I use nginx and php7)

Ok, so trying to understand why OC is terribly slow would be the best idea (looking at iostat output) so your idea to prevent others helping you might not be the best :)

Problem is slow CPU in BananaPi and only 1GB ram (Owncloud need 2GB at least). This is why I am looking for something faster for my NAS

If these numbers were collected while you transferred stuff to/from OC then your only limitation is network since this device is absolutely idle and the only indication of anything happening is a short peak where %iowait is increased.

In other words: Upgrading the board is 100% useless IF you showed us numbers of your device being 'busy' with OC. If you showed us numbers of your device doing nothing then... ahem... I've no idea why.

What do you think

That it's absolutely useless to continue.  :angry:

(Why the hell don't you try to be cooperative and show iostat output of your board while 'being horribly slow doing OC crap'?! There is no such thing like a 'better' board until you haven't analysed what's going and where the bottleneck is, most of the time torrent downloaders or OC simply suck since there's an IO bottleneck or something configured wrong. And iostat will show you or any of the tools listed here)