H96 Max X3 Specifics only

3 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

You need to decompile DTB into DTS, edit the DTS to change ' status = "okay"; ' of the spdif-out to ' status = "disabled"; ', and then recompile DTS into DTB.

I'll try that, thanks!

58 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

You need to decompile DTB into DTS, edit the DTS to change ' status = "okay"; ' of the spdif-out to ' status = "disabled"; ', and then recompile DTS into DTB.

The only spdif-out entries I see are:

spdif-out-h {

mux {
                                                        groups = "spdif_out_h";
                                                        function = "spdif_out";
                                                        drive-strength-microamp = <0x1f4>;
                                                        bias-disable;
                                                };
                                        };

spdif-out-a11 {

mux {
                                                        groups = "spdif_out_a11";
                                                        function = "spdif_out";
                                                        bias-disable;
                                                };
                                        };

spdif-out-a13 {

mux {
                                                        groups = "spdif_out_a13";
                                                        function = "spdif_out";
                                                        bias-disable;
                                                };
                                        };

I'm not sure what to change. Any suggestions?

36 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Those are only the pins. If there isn't something like "spdif@1c21000" node (this one is on H3 SoC), then there is nothing enabled ...

It's not there. Red light is still on, any way to turn that off?

Hi

I have updated to the new rom stock (u215.H96Max_X3_1000M_9.0.2020.08.12.18.05.img) on the H96 Max X3 4/128 Gb device.

But, I can't switch to Armbian (bionic-desktop or focal-desktop) burned on SD card, .... neither with Amlogic TV box Tool (error message = version expired), nor with pre-installed Update app and the file 'aml_autoscript.zip', nor with the toothpick (the 2 latter go directly to Recovery Mode + error message).

Can you please enlighten me?

8 hours ago, InTheWings said:

Boot from USB, not SD Card.

Ouch! That means I need 3 USB ports! However, the box has only 2: one used for bluetooth keyboard-mouse and the other one for wifi dongle.

Of course, your solution is possible with an ethernet cable instead of wifi but it becomes less pretty, less practical since the box must remain very close to the router.

You mean SD card support is the problem? By the new firmware version?

I will test with USB anyway Just to see what's going on. 

Thanks. 

Hi! 

I hope you're all doing fine during these tough times.

I just bought an H96 MAX X3. It's the 4GB RAM/128GB ROM version.

I'm trying to boot Armbian on SD Card with no success. 

I did the following:

I/ Preparing SD Card

- Burn Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0-rc7_desktop.img to SD Card using Balena Etcher.

- Copy/Paste h96max-x2-test-bus80-gpu-volt.dtb   by @root-stas to /dtb/amlogic

- Edit extlinux.conf as follows:

LABEL Armbian
LINUX /zImage
INITRD /uInitrd

# aml s9xxx
FDT /dtb/amlogic/h96max-x2-test-bus80-gpu-volt.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

- Copy u-boot-s905x2-s922 from SD Card to dekstop. Rename it to u-boot.ext and copy/paste it to the root of the SD Card.

II/ Booting from SD Card

- Insert SD Card in the H96 MAX X3.

- Press the reset button hidden in the AV Jack 

- Plug DC Jack while holding reset button

Here is what I get: 

dav.jpg

I tried to boot from USB but got the same result.

Could you please help me resolve this problem?

I would be really grateful!

Thank you.

Have a good night/day wherever you are!

Hi, 
I tested Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0-rc6_desktop.img.xz with a Vontar x3 box.
I tried meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb and h96max-x3-test8.dtb, copied u-boot.ext and u-boot.sd into /BOOT.

All what it do is keep rebooting and rebooting.
Should I do other things that I am missing or is there any recent image that I should use ?

8 hours ago, ikbel said:

Hi, 
I tested Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0-rc6_desktop.img.xz with a Vontar x3 box.
I tried meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb and h96max-x3-test8.dtb, copied u-boot.ext and u-boot.sd into /BOOT.

All what it do is keep rebooting and rebooting.
Should I do other things that I am missing or is there any recent image that I should use ?

Did you Copy u-boot-s905x2-s922 to u-boot.ext? Just checking...

-R

Yes, I used that one, renamed to u-boot.ext and u-boot.sd (copy)
I have also tried many dtb but with the same result : reboot loop each 2 seconds (Vontar logo shows up for 1 or 2 seconds).
I have also tried doing the dd of an u-boot image just in case.

When I reboot from the android interface (update app), I have some access to kernel messages which looks like booting and showing some information like meson, but I can't find a problem in the log.
In the middle of it I remember I've seen that some file can't be found, but it kept continuing the boot.

@mradalbert said that he has the same box and has everything working fine.

Edited by ikbel
add reference to someone who has it working

@ikbel Yes, my Vontar x3 runs Armbian just fine. The only way for me to boot from external media was by using the toothpick method. Button is inside 3.5mm Jack. You have to push it, then connect power and keep pushing button. I had some problems with this method. I'm not sure if there is some timeout on pushing the button, or my toothpick was slipping from button.

Remember to link correct dtb file (I'm using h96max-x2-test-bus80-gpu-volt.dtb) and rename u-boot file. Good luck, If you have a problem I'm happy to help.

5 hours ago, ikbel said:

Yes, I used that one, renamed to u-boot.ext and u-boot.sd (copy)
I have also tried many dtb but with the same result : reboot loop each 2 seconds (Vontar logo shows up for 1 or 2 seconds).
I have also tried doing the dd of an u-boot image just in case.

When I reboot from the android interface (update app), I have some access to kernel messages which looks like booting and showing some information like meson, but I can't find a problem in the log.
In the middle of it I remember I've seen that some file can't be found, but it kept continuing the boot.

@mradalbert said that he has the same box and has everything working fine.

A corrupt or faulty SD card can also cause problems. You can get a good quality SD card and try again.

-R 

8 hours ago, mradalbert said:

@ikbel Yes, my Vontar x3 runs Armbian just fine. The only way for me to boot from external media was by using the toothpick method. Button is inside 3.5mm Jack. You have to push it, then connect power and keep pushing button. I had some problems with this method. I'm not sure if there is some timeout on pushing the button, or my toothpick was slipping from button.

Remember to link correct dtb file (I'm using h96max-x2-test-bus80-gpu-volt.dtb) and rename u-boot file. Good luck, If you have a problem I'm happy to help.

I know about the toothpick. My problem is not the SD card as I used it with another box.
What I don't know is the combination between the img that I should use and the dtb file. In other posts some mention that they had it working with images from June (5.7.16 kernel).

Some comments speaks about uEnv.txt, isn't this the old method and now we should use extlinux.conf ? I'm getting confused.

I used Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0-rc7_desktop.img.xz and this image doesn't work as in the steps cited. The box keeps rebooting and rebooting.

Are the working images hosted somewhere? the links point only to newer images with the recent kernels. Please if someone knows how to get this box working I would be very thankful.

Thanks.

• Werner locked this topic