Need support for the PecanPi DAC

Hello,

I would like to request that support for the PecanPi DAC (www.orchardaudio.com/pecanpi-dac) be added to Armbian.

Asus recently added support as of Scetch version 2.1.11. 

To enable the DAC the following line is needed int the hw_intf.conf file:

intf:dtoverlay=rpi-dac

Thank you;

Leo

do you have any board in mind. Armbian runs on a wide variety of hardware. See here:

https://www.armbian.com/download/?device_support=Supported

and here for the boards in testing stage:

https://www.armbian.com/download/?device_support=Suitable+for+testing+(WIP)

They are boards that haven't got any i2s interface.

Have a look at this thread for some guidance:

You will have to compile driver pcm179x-i2c or pcm179x-spi depending on the hardware control protocol used by your device, I'm quiet sure that it isn't enabled by default in armbian.

The device tree overlay for rpi-dac is quiet simple and should easily adaptable:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.19.y/arch/arm/boot/dts/overlays/rpi-dac-overlay.dts

// Definitions for RPi DAC
/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
	compatible = "brcm,bcm2835";

fragment@0 {
		target = <&i2s>;
		__overlay__ {
			status = "okay";
		};
	};

fragment@1 {
		target-path = "/";
		__overlay__ {
			pcm1794a-codec {
				#sound-dai-cells = <0>;
				compatible = "ti,pcm1794a";
				status = "okay";
			};
		};
	};

fragment@2 {
		target = <&sound>;
		__overlay__ {
			compatible = "rpi,rpi-dac";
			i2s-controller = <&i2s>;
			status = "okay";
		};
	};
};

Again, post mentioned above will give most of what you are looking for.

Good luck

1 hour ago, le51 said:

do you have any board in mind. Armbian runs on a wide variety of hardware.

If I search with google about the file
/boot/hw_intf.conf
I get mostly results for the ASUS Tinker board - but I think (dont know) if this file is used by armbian.

Sounds more like the /boot/armbianEnv.txt which is used by armbian

The ti,pcm1794a has to be enabled/activated like the 

config SND_SOC_PCM5102A
    tristate "Texas Instruments PCM5102A CODEC - I2S"

in the kernel-compile for the NanoPi Neo/PCM5102A

Also the part for the .dts/.dtb should be "nearly" the same, because both use I2S - but there is to check the configuration for I2S on the target board ;)

I dont own a ASUS Tinker Board nor the PecanPi-DAC - so the manufacturer has to find a person which will get it ready....
Maybe anyone will do it he/she do get these parts for free :)

I am only allowed to post once a day.

Anyway the only board that I am interested in is the Tinkerboard. 

I don't know much about linux or kernels but I know that Asus spend a lot of time getting TinkerOS (Debian based) to properly run the PecanPi DAC with the RPI-DAC overlay being ported over from the Rpi.

Since they put all the work into it, I am hoping it will be easy to get it to run on Armbian also.

I will try to support where I can but when it come to compiling and all that stuff I have to leave that to you guys here.

I have all the hardware and am able to test proper operation if an SD card image is provided with instructions.

1 hour ago, Orchard Audio said:

but I know that Asus spend a lot of time getting TinkerOS (Debian based) to properly run the PecanPi DAC with the RPI-DAC overlay being ported over from the Rpi.

Since they put all the work into it, I am hoping it will be easy to get it to run on Armbian also.

I have all the hardware and am able to test proper operation if an SD card image is provided with instructions.

SO when ASUS did put the hard work in TinkerOS (also when its like a debian floavour) they seem not to give any information to the normal debian nor armbian.
Maybe ASUS should also spend a lot of time getting it work with armbian ;)
The people here wont reinvent the wheel for hardware from another company - so they can sell more hardware.

If ASUS or anyone want that the DAC is beeing supported they should give some free samples to developer, so that they have a stimulus to invest their time.

The armbian developers have to much to create/solve at this time (unpaid).

This is my personal opinion :)

I agree with Guidol's point of view.

But, so far

• if you already have a tinkerboard lying on your desk
  • if you know how to use etcher (or any other tool for creating a bootable disk)

Then by following instructions given above and these on how to compile armbian you should be able to get your DAC up and running under armbian. And, maybe you will just have to adapt the "compatibility" line in the dts file ...

I would be glad to help you further, but without having the tinkerboard, and without having this dac it's hard to do more ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.