Newcomer and Curious

eriefisher

Hey all!

Just signed up. I had been thinking of converting an older T.V. box and was hoping I could do it with Debian. Debian has been my preferred OS for some time now. I have never dealt with these boxes or arm for that matter. It looks like it may be possible to install armbian on this box and I started reading some of the documentation. What I would like to ask before I go down the rabbit hole is, based only on the specs below, if it looks possible? Would it be a good candidate for armbian or would there be too much non-cpu bits that surely won't work. If you folks thinks it's a capable box then I will put on my boots and get into it. Just an honest opinion. Also if you could point me to the "do not miss this section".

OFF THE BOX SPECIFICATIONS

Hardware Specifications

Chipset: Rock-Chip RK3288 Cortex A17 Quad Core
    ROM: 8GB internal NAND FLASH
    RAM: 2GB DDR3

Power Supply Specifications

Power Supply: DC 5V 2A
    Power Indicator (LED): Power ON - blue; Standby - Red

Main Features

Supports Full HD 1080P, H.265 video decoding
    3D: Hardware 3D graphics acceleration
    Supports Decoder formats: HD MPEG1/2/4,H.264, H.265, HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB,Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 ,RealVideo8/9/10
    Supports Media formats: Avi/Rm/Rmvb/Ts/Vob/Mkv/Mov/ISO/wmv/asf/flv/dat/mpg/mpeg
    Supports Music formats: MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE
    Supports Photo formats: HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
    USB host: 2 High speed USB 2.0,support U DISK and USB HDD
    Card reader: SD/SDHC/MMC cards
    HDD file system: FAT32 or NTFS HDD up to 4TB
    Support Subtitle: SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX+USB
    High Definition video output: SD/HD max.1920x1080 pixel
    OSD type of languages: English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/ etc multilateral languages
    LAN: Ethernet:10/100M, standard RJ-45
    Wireless: Built in WiFi 802.11 b/g/n Dual Band Wi-Fi(2.4GHz/5GHz)
    Mouse/ Keyboard: Support mouse and keyboard via USB;Support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4GHz USB dongle
    HDMI: HDMI 1.4 up to 1080p 4K ULTRA HD RESOLUTION
    AV&YUV: Support
    Digital Surround: DOLBY TrueHD and DTS HD Bypass through HDMI

Software Specifications

Network functionality
    Skype chatting, Picasa, Youtube, Flickr, Facebook, Online movies and more!
    Internet access on your TV with thousands of android applications and many kinds of games.

In theory you can install Armbian on ANY arm device. From the practical point of view most of the times it is simply not worth the effort because you will spend hours to figure out what adjustments for device tree, patches.... are needed to make it work and you can also not rely on support by the vendor because they usually have not interest in supporting "3rd party OS" on their devices. Armbian cannot do that either simply because of lack of ressources and funds.

So what Armbian does is kind a pain in the butt and that for years.

I would start here:
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12162-single-armbian-image-for-rk-aml-aw/

and here:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7141-csc-armbian-for-rk3288-tv-box-boards-q8/