1 1
laurentppol

2 OPiPC+'s, same /boot, different results

Hi there,

this is continuation of my previous thread about problems with my OPiPC+.

1). "OOB" Armbian Buster, looks working OK, not "ported" all soft / configs from another one.

2). Armbian Jessie upgraded up to Buster, mainly for mosquitto, OpenHAB2, PostgreSQL 11 (for logical replication).

Now I have copied everything (only different UUIDS) from working /boot directory to the one with problems.

(kernel, initrd, etc).

What I do not understand, is fact, that on "good" HTOP shows 4 cores, on "bad" one only 1 core, performance is horrible (OpenHAB startup in minutes). OpenHab (I suspect) can cause whole system to hang - ping works but no even ssh / www.

What am I missing?

This is mainly to understand "why", more than solve (as I can copy uSD from working one as soon as I migrate services to "new" one).

46 minutes ago, laurentppol said:

What am I missing?

You don't say anything about the used u-boot and its configuration.
U-boot performs the basic system initialization, so a different u-boot setup can lead to such behavior.
The Kernel initialization is based on the initial u-boot setup.

u-boot is (probably) "original" from "OOB" Armbian Jessie. Should I update it now using nand-sata-install?

Tried this, using program from working OPi. As there was no "nand-sata-install" on upgraded device. (used scp)

It boots, but still shows 1 core :(.

Uboot prompt is accessible only from hardware serial?

U-boot and its components usually reside in the not allocated space of the partition table between MBR and the 1th partition.
What tool you use to put it in the proper location does not really matter.  I prefer to learn what the specific parameters of the desired device are and use dd.  It always works the same way and I don't have to rely on tools where I don't know what they're really doing.
But perhaps someone who knows Armbian better can tell you what is the preferred way in your environment.

19 hours ago, laurentppol said:

Armbian Jessie upgraded up to Buster

This is not a recommended way and you are lucky that you boot the board ... however, if you don't update boot loader manually, you will not have all four cores. This is known problem, but to explain you why is this happening ... I would need to waste hours since I lost it from my head. Use search engine to obtain that info if you are curious.