No screen on HDMI with bananapip pro and armbian buster

CCL54

Hello,

I'm a complete beginner with Armbian and SOC board. 

I've a bananapi pro board from lemaker and I've installed 6 month ago Raspbian / Jessie and domoticz and all works well until a click unfortunately on update icons of domoticz...and the problems began...no back up...new version of domoticz required buster...image buster not avalaible under raspbian for bananapro....

So I decided to install Armbian/buster_minimal

I've serial link on which I can see that board boot correctly. I've installed Armbian-config and the "Default install desktop with browser and extra".

I want the board to show information on HDMI output...but no screen.

I spent a lot of time on forums, my board is powered with USB from a PC. My monitor is a TV. My Sd card is working well (sandisk A1 16Gb) and the board worked and output data on HDMI with Raspbian/jessie so it seem that the problem doesn't come from hardware.

I've also seen on posts that resolution could be the problem, I've change in /boot/armbianEnv.txt:

console=display

disp_mode=1920*1080p60 to 1280*1024p60

save it and reboot

not working...

Sorry for my question if it has already been solved or if it is a silly question

Someone could help me ?

Regards.

Hello,

I've tried with different PSU, my board can be only powered via USB but anyway, I don't think it's the problem because with Os Jessie my board boot on HDMI....

I succeed to configure my board via serial COM so my topic can be closed. If I find the root cause later I will come back on my post to give the solution.

Thanks again.

Regards.

3 hours ago, CCL54 said:

I don't think it's the problem because with Os Jessie my board boot on HDMI....

Power related troubles will manifest strangely and can lead you to the wrong conclusions. There is also a significant diff between approach in power handling between old 3.4.y kernel and a modern one. There is different power draw and that is enough to behave different, especially if your powering is on the edge. I have experience that and can easily simulate with a precise PSU.

mUSB powering is on the edge by design.

Same problem here.  PSU I'm using delivers 5.35 volts at 2 amps, but I also have a smarter USB PSU which can deliver up to 8v at 3 amps.  It's only the Armbian distro where the issue is, but I'm informed that something was changed to fix this, but broke the HDMI output on the BananaPro?

@Myron

Is your BPi Pro reachable throu ssh? Does it boot? If you able to log in (ssh), you might append:

extraargs=drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/1920x1080.bin video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60

to /boot/armbianEnv,txt. I wouldn't use 8V power supply, when 5V are recommened.

I should have paid attention to what I did, but when the USB to TTL serial adapter arrived I promptly connected that and got the initial console and set-up which allows me to login as root and 1234, to then change the password and ask all the usual initial set-up questions.  Once I got past all of that then everything magically started working, including the HDMI port.  Without using the USB to TTL RS232 card on the debug port on the BananaPro, the SoC board appeared to be dead.  It was not.  I've got it working now.  [Just need to create an image back-up of the MicroSD card.