Problem: Rotate Display (in UBoot)

petaspam

Edit:
---------------------------------------------------------------

OrangePi PC+
ARMBIAN Buster and Focal v20.05.x

Problem: I can't get UBoot to rotate the screen.
Solution: I still don't know.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.

I am using a Tablet Display with a controller (link) as a monitor, the case is that the controller is vertical (1536x2048) and I want to use the monitor in landscape mode (more normal).
The ARMbian system of my OrangePi PC + single terminal without desktop starts rotated (vertical). Once started from the command line I can write:

echo 3 | sudo tee /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/rotate_all

and it turns in my case the side I need.

But, when rebooting the spin is lost, the state has been trying without success for me the solutions that I could put into practice of those that are in the forum and reading it understood that I must say in the configuration of the UBoot the position with which I want the system maybe start with: "fbcon=rotate:3" but I can't find how or where.

Can you help me ?.

Thank you

These days I have been trying several things:

It seems that UBoot is in charge of starting the system and configuring the kernel. Which is initially configured from '/boot/boot.cmd' which takes the variables from '/boot/armbianEnv.txt', in my case add the rotation variable (possibly: fbcon=rotate:3, lcd_rotate=3 or display_rotate=3) no effect arose. In fact the changes were not showing in the output file '/proc/cmdline.txt'.

Try modifying the '/boot/boot.cmd' directly and recompiling as indicated at the end of the same file, and it had no effect either. This time the changes were reflected after the system restarted in '/proc/cmdline.txt'.

I wanted to do the test of simply changing the default 1920x1080p60 resolution to 1280x720p60 by modifying the aforementioned files and it didn't have any effect either ... It was then that I realized that the system always booted at 1920x1080 but automatically changed at one stage of the boot to 1560x2048. ..

I was reading in one of the forum posts that possibly the HDMI system called EDID would be serving the idea resolution information to the system at startup and regardless of what you put it, it will adapt the configuration to that "ideal" data.

So I understand that I need:

1. "Deactivate" EDID.
2. Modify the resolution at UBoot startup, for example 1280x720p60.
3. Know how and where to add the rotation.

I have found out a lot and fixed very little, in fact now I have more problems than before ... :(

Can any soul help me out, please.

Hi.

I have spent many days trying to make the boot (UBoot) rotate the screen without success, I am not an expert and maybe it is not possible or maybe if ... but I do not succeed.

It makes me angry to know and to have achieved it without any difficulty with a RaspberryPi 3 (in my case) without suffering the slightest, simply by adding display_rotate = X in /boot/config.txt and that there is no way for Armbian.

I wish someone would tell me if it is possible (and how) or it is not possible. And in case it is not possible, my heartfelt wish is that I implement it just for the simple fact that in Raspbian it is possible and in such a simple way.

Thank you

If at the start of uBoot we press <Space> the startup stops and allows us to enter some commands, it seems that the example proposed in the ducomentación works.

https://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Allwinner/#how-to-reconfigure-video-output

> setenv video-mode sunxi=1024x768-24@60,monitor=dvi,hpd=0,edid=0
> saveenv

Is this the complete list of possible commands, does anyone know the whereabouts of a complete list?

Thank you