Newbie NanoPi R1 Questions

KenUnix

Hi,

I have a few questions about the NanoPi R1 system.

1) The (USB > TTL) debug serial port is that 3.3v or 5v?  I need to get the correct adapter.

2) Hooking up a serial debug cable is there enough room to close the front plate?

3) Can the system run from eMMc and get software upgraded from the SD-Card?

4) I could not not find clear procedures for this.  Am not familiar with OpenWRT.

5) Can the Ethernet port be used to talk to a P.C. running Windows (putty) or would the micro-USB to P.C. be better?

6) I would eventually use WiFi for remote access and updates.

7) Can the NanoPi R1 run Apache WEB server?

8) Can this run Debian or Ubuntu? If so where would the downloads be found?

Looks like a fine product. If it works out I may buy several. I do have experience with Linux (several flavors) and the Beaglebone.

My history goes back to 1974 and Unix from Bell Labs.

1. usually 3.3 volts

2. no clue

3. check https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-install-to-emmc-nand-sata-usb

4. If related to 3 see 3

5. Depends on your needs

6. Check download page above for supported 3rd party hardware

7. sure, why not?

8. https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-r1/ I recommend going for Debian Buster atm since we have som trouble with Focal

Werner,

Thanks for the info it was very helpful. I would have replied earlier but this system would only let me post one message a day.

Dumb question. I don't have to run this is a router do I? I can still compile and run 'C' code and Python?

"2. no clue ." I now know why this was confusing. After reading available material I found the rear UART port by default in Debian is activated as a serial port. I.E. login. so that would eliminate the need to access the debug port next to the Ethernet adapter I.E. keeping the case open.

Thanks,

Ken

14 hours ago, KenUnix said:

Thanks for the info it was very helpful. I would have replied earlier but this system would only let me post one message a day.

Yeah I know. Invisible for the public Armbian forums are actually having quite some trouble with spam bots. That is why this restriction was enabled.

You received a like. The restriction should go away with the next cron cycle which might take up to 24h. Yeah a bit schizophrenic I know :lol:

Dumb question. I don't have to run this is a router do I? I can still compile and run 'C' code and Python?

It serves as any other computer system in your network. You can ping it and do whatever you want with it.

Sure you can run compile your C code but it will be compiled for arm architecture. So this binary cannot run on your desktop PC which is most likely amd64 architecture.

Python scripts are indipended from architecture.

4 hours ago, KenUnix said:

OpenWRT

OpenWRT is a router distro, but support state (how it actually works) is unknown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt

4 hours ago, KenUnix said:

Ubuntu core

Also unknown support state. It's FriendlyARM Ubuntu compilation that was probably never updated ... before wasting time with it, read this:

Impressive Linux for my nanoPi R1. I was quite depressed already about the original Linux provided with the SBC. I installed the Armbian_20.08_Nanopi-r1_buster_current_5.7.15 on SD card with the instructions given here and I am really happy I did that. Now I just need to learn how to install Linux system on the eMMC and leave SD card for our data.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.