opi pc hangs file transfer to usb hdd

wanriz

thank you .It is armbian jessie latest 5.14 mine is OPI PC . usb hard disk are seagate 1 tb and 2 tb but with all kind of file transfer between hdd it hangs and completely crash can not end task . only power off and on to boot again . no error logs available.

@wanriz

You probably face power problems. Use a good 5V/2A PSU for the OPI and extra power supply for the hdds. Powering USB flash drives directly from OPI ports woks well, SSDs and mainly HDDs can have power spikes leading to sudden voltage drops. Two connected HDDs most likely need additional power source.

You may try an atx power supply from an old pc, and connect your OPI with one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-30cm-1ft-DC-Power-Cable-4-0x1-7mm-DC-Tip-Male-Plug-Straight-CCTV-Cord-Cable-/321914510023?hash=item4af3999ac7:g:1H8AAOSw~bFWPew9

this way you can also connect your disks directly.

if you have several power supplies please join their ground wires on the secondary side.

@wanriz: Each and every time you start threads here it's related to crappy hardware. Your first complaints Armbian would be slow as hell and corrupting installations (crappy / ultra slow SD card), your last thread about Armbian images not able to be burned to SD card (crappy card reader). But now I feel it must be different. Thanks for reporting the USB bug, I just could confirm that it's not possible at all to write and read from USB disks (also the last months it wasn't possible at all to write to any disk, no idea how I got all the benchmarks numbers, Armbian pretty much sucks, you shouldn't use it any more)

Armbian is not a good option for some banana boards. Armbian prefers juicy oranges.

I don't want to be funny in such situations. It's a simple matter of fact that software has to rely on hardware working reliably. Hardware will die sooner or later (it's not the question whether it will die, the only question is when and in which form: dying slowly which is bad since it's not easy reproducable or dying fast which is great since you know the reason immediately).

These 3 @wanriz threads are the perfect examples for doing it wrong: Using crappy / unreliable hardware, blaming the software instead and wasting your own and others time instead of starting fault localisation.

We already waste an insane amount of time to test each and every OS image release and while we're still far away from doing it perfect and still too much mistakes happen... i should stop here and take a break. C'mon: If Armbian would've problems writing/reading to USB disks the forums would be full of!

no hard feeling tkaiser

Development boards comes across lot of misconception , errors, bugs, this is the way to mature the OS , after thorough test i realized my sd adapter failed . but it takes some time and realization as well as feedback from some enthusiast.

I thank you for your response.

After a lot of tests with different HDDs, SSDs and USB Flashdrives attached to USB ( host and OTG ports ) on OPI ONE/LITE with recent Armbian versions ( jessie vanilla server 5.10 , 5.12 , 5.13, 5.14 ) I've come to the following conclusions :

- Armbian USB-storage on H3 is reliable and performant ( up to 35MB write/read per port )

- Host and OTG ports show equal performance

All problems encountered while testing OPI ONE/LITE with Armbian could be traced to

- insufficient power supply ( not enough juice, overly noisy, large voltage drops on power spikes )

- crappy lossy cables

- crappy mismatching adapters ( old USB2-SATA on newer 1T HDD degraded performance to <1MB/s )

I've been randomly using sdcards of dubious quality and never ran into any sort of problems either.