Armbian 20.05.1 Focal images could be broken

danman

Yes, sorry, that was a misprint. 20.05.2 is OK.

I've installed Armbian_20.05.2_Cubietruck_focal_current_5.4.43 image from scratch to microsd card. It booted fine, I was able to login using ssh. Then if I did 'apt update && apt upgrade'.  It installed linux-image-current-sunxi 20.05.3 (and some other 20.05.3 packages) and then device can not boot again with the same symptoms as it was on 20.05.1 images.

12 hours ago, Stanislav said:

Yes, sorry, that was a misprint. 20.05.2 is OK.

I've installed Armbian_20.05.2_Cubietruck_focal_current_5.4.43 image from scratch to microsd card. It booted fine, I was able to login using ssh. Then if I did 'apt update && apt upgrade'.  It installed linux-image-current-sunxi 20.05.3 (and some other 20.05.3 packages) and then device can not boot again with the same symptoms as it was on 20.05.1 images.

I think I found the cause of kernel update issue, COMPRESS is still set to lz4:

~$ cat /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf | grep lz4
# COMPRESS: [ gzip | bzip2 | lz4 | lzma | lzop | xz ]
COMPRESS=lz4

That's on fresh intall of Armbian_20.05.2_Cubietruck_focal_current_5.4.43 image. If I change to gzip then kernel update to 20.05.3 will be OK.

That was actually the regression that we fixed but no idea why it switched back to lz4.... @Igor

I have an idea though. Focal provides the initramfs-tools and may contain lz4 if not adjusted by Armbian. Could not find the config file in the package yet.

39 minutes ago, Werner said:

Found it.

It is provided by the package initramfs-tools-core and the default config sets compression to lz4.

OK, but why those images does not have this changed ... rebuild and test again I guess :)

Hi,

I wanted to do a fresh install for the Cubietruck. So I flashed the current Focal Server image (20.05.2 with kernel 5.4.43) on an SD card.

So far so good. It booted fine. I did an

apt update && apt upgrade

afterwards which installed a new kernel, getting the version number to 20.05.3 and kernel 5.4.45. Unfortunately, afterwards it does not boot anymore as the

Ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid

I tried two different cards (checking them with 3f as well), both giving me the same result. I also tried upgrading through the armbian-config tool which didn't work either. (But I guess it's only a wrapper for apt, isn't it?)

Any ideas on how I could fix this? Also, if you need more information - how can I provide it? I.e. how can I export the messages shown at boottime to a different device?

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks for creating armbian as well :)

Edit: Freezing the system did not help. I made changes to the system (e.g. IP adress, keyboard layout, ...) which led to the creation of a new initial ram disk - which doesn't want to boot either.

Sorry, I just saw that there was new development in the thread

which seems relevant to my case. I will have a look at changing the config for initramfs

And this fixed it. Sorry

Edited by squirrel
additional information

Hi,

Focal Desktop Image (Armbian_20.05.2_Cubox-i_focal_current_5.6.15_desktop.img.xz) does not start at all on Cubox-i4. Only black screen.

How can I provide helpful information?

I double checked the image, it seems to be ok. I also checked the filesystem on the SDCARD with fsck it has noerrors.

Best wishes

Paul

22 minutes ago, Pbaumann said:

I double checked the image, it seems to be ok.

We had some issues with Focal builds which is why all images has been rebuild. Earlier today. Get most recent .4 image.

23 minutes ago, Pbaumann said:

Armbian_20.05.4_Cubox-i_focal_current_5.6.18.img.xz

I made a test:

1. Downloaded this exact image

2. Burn with Etcher to some solid SD card

3. Booted normally with Cubox - i4 with 2Gb memory (other variants are stashed somewhere)

1 hour ago, Pbaumann said:

I also checked the filesystem on the SDCARD with fsck it has noerrors.

Get other SD card and follow https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/ No idea why you have troubles. 

34 minutes ago, Igor said:

I made a test:

1. Downloaded this exact image

2. Burn with Etcher to some solid SD card

3. Booted normally with Cubox - i4 with 2Gb memory (other variants are stashed somewhere)

Get other SD card and follow https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/ No idea why you have troubles. 

Hi,

shame on me!

Your'e completly right, this image works with another SDCARD.

The broken one was out of the box and looked good, nothing seemed to be wrong.

I apologize very much for any inconvenience and would like to thank you for the quick help.

Best wishes

Paul

• Igor changed the title to Armbian 20.05.1 Focal images could be broken