overlays don't respond anymore

Marko Buršič

image.png.ff391857a3401b89a349fc2d0feeefae.png

image.png.d55829ce4c42d7a822f3e379a1bfe1a7.png

This overlays settings worked well until I have compiled my own .dtbo file and call it with overlay=..xyz... , after that all yet working overlays stopped working, even if I removed them. The boot process now skips this overlay settings.

After examination, I have found file "/boot/boot.scr" and "/boot/dtb-5.4.44-rockchip64/rockchip/overlay/rockchip-fixup.scr" had some garbage characters at beginning. I didn't change anything, neither I did open them before, those files simply got garbage.

After deleting the garbage chars, it won't boot anymore. Before I had tried also spi-spidev and spi-nor

2 hours ago, Marko Buršič said:

After deleting the garbage chars, it won't boot anymore.

You should not having touched the "garbage" chars, they are binary header of compiled script.

To revert it as before, use this command :

mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d rockchip-fixup.scr-without-garbage-chars rockchip-fixup.scr

Also, looking at your first screenshot of /boot/armbianEnv.txt, the "overlay_prefix=rockchip" should be on a single line, not the same line as "verbosity=1" ...

Thank you @martinayotte, you saved me days of pain. The problem was that single line, while editing in putty terminal window, the numeric keypad doesn't work properly, so I have messed the file by myself.

I find difficult to debug my .dtbo file, something is not accepted and it is reverted back, so overlays do work now just until I add my .dtbo. Does this verbosity setting may help to adjust the debug level while booting? I can't see any debug text of the overlay sequence, so I don't know where exactly goes wrong.

18 hours ago, Marko Buršič said:

I find difficult to debug my .dtbo file

DTBO loaded by U-Boot is always difficult to debug. Maybe you leave it out from U-Boot and try to load it dynamically using /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/ ?

mkdir /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/myoverlay
cat myoverlay.dtbo > /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/myoverlay/dtbo

Then check any errors in "dmesg" ...

18 hours ago, Marko Buršič said:

Does this verbosity setting may help to adjust the debug level

"verbosity=7" would help, but only for kernel errors, not U-Boot errors ...