X96 Air (4/32 Go) and Wireless driver for RTL8822cs

Armin

Hello,

I have installed Buster version on the eMMC of my X96 Air (4/32 Go). And unfortunately, no WIFI due to some errors with the Wireless chipset RTL8822cs (my report HERE)

I have found this discussions about this driver: https://askubuntu.com/posts/1067500/revisions

But the last version is 5.6.1 for kernel version (https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu) and mine is 5.7.0.

Do you think that I can try this solution in spite of this ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Armin

I don't see anything in the links you have provided that this would be a solution to your problem.  Are you sure that you have the that chip on your board?  (i.e. have you opened the case and inspected?).  In order to get things working, you need to have your dtb, driver and hardware all in sync.  The dtb is the mapping between the hardware and the kernel, I would expect that this is the real source of your problems that your dtb is referencing different hardware than what you have installed on your board.  The problem with armbian for android tv boxes is that while there are only a few different reference dtbs available, but there are hundreds of different boards with different components from all the manufacturers.  So most of the boards will not work in some way because of the mismatch between their hardware and the dtbs that are available (sometimes you get lucky and everything you need works, but rarely does everything work).  As I have said in other threads, no one should approach armbian for these tv boxes expecting that everything will work (especially wifi and bluetooth - none of my boxes have working wifi or bluetooth) because that is not a reasonable expectation, unless the board manufacturer is supporting their boards by getting code into the mainline kernel.

Having said all of that, it wouldn't hurt to try what you reference in the links above, and I suspect it is likely that the 5.6.1 based code would still work on a 5.7 kernel.

You should also consider the long term support issues even if you do finally get something working.  You will likely find yourself in the position that at some future point in time when a new kernel update with important security fixes gets pushed out that it is no longer compatible with your custom built driver and then you will need to choose between security of your system or breaking your wifi support.  If you need wifi, I would recommend getting a cheap usb wifi adapter that has mainline kernel support as over the long run that will be best.

However if your goal in all of this is to get your solution into future armbian builds (which really means getting it into mainline kernel) then keep hacking away.  But I would suspect that because you have already found a git repository that contains driver code that isn't in the mainline kernel (I am assuming this, but haven't verified), that that path has already been tried by others and rejected (lack of support of the code, poor code quality, or any number of other reasons).

Hello SteeMan,

I'm not sure to really understand your post. I don't want absolutely all features but I'm trying to improve the situation. For the moment, I don not need the Wifi but if I do not know in the future !

And you're right. I'm not sure about the chipset name

I have tried these commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install dkms bc git
git clone https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu
sudo dkms add ./rtl88x2bu
sudo dkms install -m rtl88x2bu -v 5.6.1

But unfortunately, I'm facing to an error related to Kernel version (5.7.0 requested) !

Edited by Armin

2 hours ago, Armin said:

I'm not sure about the chipset name

If you don't know which chip your device is equipped with, you can climb the wrong tree. The driver you're tinkering with may not match your chip.
Before you can start working on the software part of the chip, you have to learn way more about the hardware to select the proper configuration. And choosing the right driver is easiest, there is more difficult information to research, e.g. how the chip is wired up to the SOC. You need this for proper DT setup.

1 hour ago, usual user said:

If you don't know which chip your device is equipped with, you can climb the wrong tree. The driver you're tinkering with may not match your chip.
Before you can start working on the software part of the chip, you have to learn way more about the hardware to select the proper configuration. And choosing the right driver is easiest, there is more difficult information to research, e.g. how the chip is wired up to the SOC. You need this for proper DT setup.

Thanks for your feedback.

As indicated into my 1st post (REPORT), into the Armbian report, I have several annotations related to Bluetooth and Wifi chipset with RTL8822CS.

Moreover, into this Russian forum (https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=969746&st=1660), this is indicated that for X96 Air P3 (my model), there are 2 combo chipset:

RTL8822CS --> picture

or Fn-Link 6222B-SRC -- >  picture

This is why I'm so confident about the chipset version !

Edited by Armin

12 hours ago, Armin said:

But unfortunately, I'm facing to an error related to Kernel version (5.7.0 requested) !

The sources need some adjustments to compile with 5.7.x most likely. Just be patient and hope that the creator makes these changes since  he knows his work the best.

1 hour ago, heroes1412 said:

i have X96 Air (4/32) too, s905x3, can you write a detail tutorial to install armbian to this box?

Already done: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12988-armbian-for-amlogic-s905x3/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-101885

But the dtb was not correct (some issues with Ethernet) so, replace the step 3 with meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb (download and copy it into dtb/amlogic folder of the SD card) as indicated here: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12988-armbian-for-amlogic-s905x3/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-101921

3. Modify uEnv.txt to choose meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb file in amlogic section:

Spoiler

LINUX=/zImage
INITRD=/uInitrd

# rk-3399
#FDT=/dtb/rockchip/rk3399-rock-pi-4.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/rockchip/rk3399-nanopc-t4.dtb
#APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff1a0000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

# rk-3328
#FDT=/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box-trn9.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/rockchip/rk3328-box.dtb
#APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

# aw h6
#FDT=/dtb/allwinner/sun50i-h6-tanix-tx6.dtb
#APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0
#APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mem=2048M video=HDMI-A-1:e

# aml s9xxx
FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-ugoos-am6-no-cvbs.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-odroid-n2.dtb
APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

And the ethernet speed is already fixed with meson-sm1-sei610-ethfix.dtb, therefore the step 6 is not needed.

Enjoy !

Edited by Armin

6 hours ago, heroes1412 said:

Thank @Armin. can i use usb device instead SD Card?

and i cannot use 1000 ethernet, right?

In case of USB, use this for the step 2:

If you are starting the system from an USB, you need to copy file  u-boot.usb to u-boot.ext

And Yes, only 100M for Ethernet

On 6/29/2020 at 4:47 PM, Armin said:

In case of USB, use this for the step 2:

If you are starting the system from an USB, you need to copy file  u-boot.usb to u-boot.ext

And Yes, only 100M for Ethernet

i just test with X3 Mini box (S905x3, 4gb ram) with a SD Card, when i plug SD card, the box cannot boot (without toothpick) @@, i dont know why @@

30 minutes ago, heroes1412 said:

i just test with X3 Mini box (S905x3, 4gb ram) with a SD Card, when i plug SD card, the box cannot boot (without toothpick) @@, i dont know why @@

Personally, I release the toothpick 2s after connected the power supply. 

When the methog is failed, the box is booting on the eMMC firmware (Android for example) and when Armbian (dtb or others) is failed, there is a green or black screen !

I am able to install rtl88x2bu by installing linux-header package first. Unfortunately, it seems kernel 5.7.7-arm-64 already included the driver with newer version.

In the end, I am unable to have the interface. I guess there is something to do on dtb to activate it?

On 8/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, Diamond said:

I am able to install rtl88x2bu by installing linux-header package first. Unfortunately, it seems kernel imageproxy.php?img=&key=d4a4e9ccc91d570aimageproxy.php?img=&key=d4a4e9ccc91d570a5.7.7-arm-64 already included the driver with newer version.

In the end, I am unable to have the interface. I guess there is something to do on dtb to activate it?

Hello Diamond,

Did you try this version https://github.com/RinCat/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver ?

Moreover, there are some instructions !

On 9/24/2020 at 4:59 AM, Armin said:

Hello Diamond,

Did you try this version https://github.com/RinCat/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver ?

Moreover, there are some instructions !

Hello Armin,

I'm using armbian 20.07 buster

Armbian 20.07 Buster

uname -a
Linux x96-air 5.7.16-arm-64 #20.08 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 28 09:43:05 MSK 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

# This to workaround the issue couldn't find aarch64
cp -r /usr/src/linux-headers-5.7.16-arm-64/arch/arm64 /usr/src/linux-headers-5.7.16-arm-64/arch/aarch64
git clone https://github.com/RinCat/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver.git
cd RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver
make

CC [M]  /root/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver/hal/btc/halbtc8822b1ant.o
  CC [M]  /root/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver/hal/btc/halbtc8822b2ant.o
  CC [M]  /root/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver/platform/platform_ops.o
  CC [M]  /root/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver/core/rtw_mp.o
  LD [M]  /root/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver/88x2bu.o
  MODPOST 1 modules
ERROR: modpost: "__stack_chk_guard" [/root/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver/88x2bu.ko] undefined!
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.modpost:99: __modpost] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1645: modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.7.16-arm-64'
make: *** [Makefile:2373: modules] Error 2

There is error when I tried to install...

• Werner locked this topic