SimpNAS Beta Released!

PittPC

Hello I wanted to post on here regarding a new project we have been working on called SimpNAS. Its similar to OpenMediaVault or FreeNAS but simpler and more basic. Its currently in Beta but we are looking to have a stable release by the time Kobol ARM NAS gets released. It can be installed on armbian devices as long as it has two hard drives one for the OS and one for Data. For example we have it installed on an ODroid HC2, but can be installed on any PC. Feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Check it out here https://simpnas.com

Thanks for looking

Why does the install-script install the docker-repro, but no docker part?
Does it use docker or not?

echo "================================================================================="
echo "Install Docker Repo"
echo "================================================================================="
curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/$(lsb_release -s -i | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]')/gpg | apt-key add -
add-apt-repository "deb [arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture)] https://download.docker.com/linux/$(lsb_release -s -i | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]') $(lsb_release -cs) stable"
apt update
#apt install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io -y
#apt install docker.io -y
#echo "=================================================================================="
#echo "Creating docker network"
#echo "=================================================================================="
#docker network create my-network

19 hours ago, PittPC said:

Check it out here https://simpnas.com

"It's so easy Grandpa can install it, while Grandma watches..."

Thanks for looking

NOPE doesnt work.... :(

I got a working network-configuration (static) via /etc/network/interfaces...

But the install-routine via web-interface is also asking for the complete network-configuration (cant take the actual).

After going through the webinterface-setup the webinterface say reboot. ssh is also disconnecting BUT the BPi M2 Berry isnt rebooting (is pingable).... and after power off/on the BPi M2 Berry doenst boot anymore :(

Grandma would be very anry with Grandpa  :(

Tested on a BananaPi Me Berry with armbian debian buster Kernel 5.6.16

Now I will return to my manually installed working SAMBA-Server ;) 

Hi @guidol thanks for trying our opensource project i'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

To answer your first post, we moved the docker install to the final web-ui install phase. This was to prevent a DNS problem if Active Directory was configured during the server select phase.

For your final post: When specifying an Address on the network setup page - it required to have the subnet CIDR on the end (example 192.168.1.200/24) if the /24 was not on the end it would cause the issues you are describing. Based on your feedback, you no longer have to put the CIDR at the end of the address line, we added a second select box for your subnet. Please give it another shot and let us know. We only want to make this project better. ;)

I know the subnet CIDR from the nmtui from network manager - and I inserted it on the first try.

So now I did take a 2nd try, but went not much better.

This time I did the DHCP-Network-configuration right direct after the first boot of armbian.
Shell-install went fine.

In the WebUI configuration I inserted a static network-configuration (from DHCP to static 192.168.6.20)

This time the M2 Berry did reboot OK, BUT ssh seems now to be deactivated (connection rejected/closed) an the WebInterface isnt accessable at http://192.168.6.20:81/dashboard.php

(but 192.168.6.20 is pingable)

So here it ends again :(

- So why we have to change the working network-configuration?

- Why is the Webinterface only accessable while configuration?

- Why is SSH disabled after reboot?

With ths problems I dont want to give this samba-config by precious data :(

Where did you test this successful?

Your an excellent tester along with very clear given detail, I thank you for taking the time to test. We have only tested with the odroid hc2 and hc1  using armbian Buster flashed to an Micro SD card as well as an Dell Optiplex with Debian 10 installed on it. I'm going to order the M2 berry to do some further testing, also it looks interesting since it has a SATA port.

This is the prcedure we have followed with installing SimpNAS on the oDroid HC1/HC2. We flashed a microSD with the latest Armbian buster. then I would ssh to it via the DHCP given address as root with the default password of 1234. I would then run the simpnas install script. All would go well, but i'm guessing different boards are giving different results for some reason. Not sure why but will investigate.

-The reason why we change the network is because we have chosen to use systemd networkd based configuration over network manager as networkd is becoming the new modern.

-The Web UI should be accessible after reboot.

-The install.sh script should enable root if its not already enabled

Ill let you know when the board comes in and I did proper testing. If you spot anything that may be causing the issues let us know. Thanks for testing.

how about to "not touch" the network configuration?

Some dont like to have the system changed by an "additional" app like SimpNAS.

Pihole also doesnt change the network configuration.

armbian is normally using networkmanager and Iam personally like the old fashioned way of the /etc/network/interfaces because I dont like to run a service for every little OS puzzle part. Inlikeca short process-list in htop/top

some of my non-armbian ARM systems use pnly under 32MB for bootup.

So maybe add a option "let network as it is" and DONT TOUCH the ssh access, because thats for the most the way to access their device (no TTL-RS232)

Why ist SSH disabled? Doesnt systemd networkd work together with OpenSSH-server?

Good idea! We submitted a new update you can now skip network configuration. also SSH will not be touched. Hopefully this fixes the issue your having. If you get time please give it another shot. Thanks!

Edited by PittPC

Now its the 3rd time and the same bad result :(
I configured a static IP and skipped the Network configuration in the WebGUI, but after reboot ssh gives "Connection refused" and the webinterface isnt accessable anymore :(
Static IP (192.168.6.20) is pingable.

root@npi-neo2-24(192.168.6.24):~# ssh -l root 192.168.6.20
ssh: connect to host 192.168.6.20 port 22: Connection refused

Is it correct that my user/config-drive is 0? (the m2berry has mmc0 = sdcard and sda = 32GB USB Stick)

Drive0.png.57145b3802849f7f117304d71c986191.png

Could it be a problem that the M2Berry isnt 64bit (like Intel or your Ordoids?)

The next try I could do on a NanoPi A64 with 64Bit (aarch64)

Hi @guidol We figured it out, it had nothing to do with the networking but how it created volumes when using other devices other than HDDS like USB Sticks and mmc memory it would not detect them properly since we were using smartctl to scan for storage devices, now we have used a much better approach using lsblk to list all block devices. I noticed because of the screenshot at the top you sent me had garbled info under select disk. Please give SimpNAS one more shot of testing when you get time. Your testing is helping the project tremendously and we appreciate you!!

13 hours ago, PittPC said:

Hi @guidol We figured it out, it had nothing to do with the networking but how it created volumes when using other devices other than HDDS like USB Sticks and mmc memory it would not detect them properly since we were using smartctl to scan for storage devices, now we have used a much better approach using lsblk to list all block devices.

Ahh :) That looks/works much better ;)

Now my USB-Stick is recognized - but more important: The system is accessable via WebGUI and SSH after the reboot.

What I would set as reminder:
- You ask the Password only once (with the chance to view via the eye-icon)
- You dont ask for a user name - I did try root for login AFTER admin

- Volume-name cant be changed - I did set it to sda but now Iam using partition sda1

- Users seem to have only full R/W access? cant see a option for read-only :(
- in the Groups view/configuration I miss users and sudo as shown in the users view at the admin-user

- the date has a comma-char to much in the front

SimpNAS_USB_Volume.jpg.9766d4f68906995084973fe24b031efb.jpg

SimpNAS_First_Logon.jpg

SimpNAS_Date_Char.jpg

SimpNAS_User_Groups.jpg

Third times a charm ;)

We made several updates today and tried to nail out some of the issues you were having plus additional small UI fixes and updates!

What I would set as reminder:
- You ask the Password only once (with the chance to view via the eye-icon)
- You dont ask for a user name - I did try root for login AFTER admin

- Volume-name cant be changed - I did set it to sda but now Iam using partition sda1

- Users seem to have only full R/W access? cant see a option for read-only
- in the Groups view/configuration I miss users and sudo as shown in the users view at the admin-user

- the date has a comma-char to much in the front

1. We don't use password confirmation anymore due to the eyeball, as we see it as redundant.

2. admin is close! and root works too. but it actually creates a user called administrator during setup, we now clarified it better in the final setup stage.

3. Yes the initial volume name cannot be changed this is due to the users home directories being placed there as well as the docker configs, although you can name the volume what ever you like for example we have a Western Digital Red 8TB we called the volume bigRED to easily identify it.

4. We have officially added read only support to shares. You can create a share put the files you want in there, then mark it read only.

5. We have changed the setup where the admins group can now sudo and we no longer add the users to the sudoers group this is to keep things simple and clean in the UI. Also now users group will be displayed under groups list. Everyone is part of the users group by default when they get added.

6. I'm having a hard time replicating this I even changed the timezone to Europe\Instanbul to help us troubleshoot this: type the following command as root in the bash shell and post your output, also what web browser are you using?

timedatectl show -p TimeUSec --value

Again We Super Thank you for your input! :)

14 hours ago, PittPC said:

We made several updates today and tried to nail out some of the issues you were having plus additional small UI fixes and updates!

timedatectl show -p TimeUSec --value

root@nanopi-a64:~# timedatectl show -p TimeUSec --value
Sun 2020-06-28 16:16:39 +03

My Browser is on Windows: Google Chrome, Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-Bit)

You did Updates - but the Update-function doesnt show anything new :(
Is there any place/page where we could see the actual installed version-number?
When not - could you please include it on the Dashboad or Updates-Page? ;)

On 6/27/2020 at 12:39 AM, PittPC said:

testing is helping

That said, I run the script on a Rock-Pi 4b:  Armbian buster with Linux 5.4.45-rockchip64

Why Python 2 ?

libpython2-stdlib libpython2.7 libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7

The following additional packages will be installed:
  busybox cryptsetup-bin cryptsetup-initramfs cryptsetup-run libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libcups2 libldb1
  libmagic-mgc libmagic1 libpython-stdlib libpython2-stdlib libpython2.7 libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib libsodium23 libtalloc2
  libtdb1 libtevent0 libtirpc-common libtirpc3 libwbclient0 php-common php7.3-cgi php7.3-cli php7.3-common php7.3-json php7.3-opcache
  php7.3-readline python python-crypto python-dnspython python-ldb python-minimal python-samba python-talloc python-tdb python2
  python2-minimal python2.7 python2.7-minimal samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs tdb-tools

Script, if this step is done as a first step (not the install, but adding the repository),  apt update  would only be done once == quicker?

echo "Install Docker Repo"
curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/$(lsb_release -s -i | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]')/gpg | apt-key add -
add-apt-repository "deb [arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture)] https://download.docker.com/linux/$(lsb_release -s -i | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]') $(lsb_release -cs) stable"
apt update

configration in Firefox was smooth, thank you @PittPC & @guidol 

root@rockpi-4b:~# timedatectl show -p TimeUSec --value
Sun 2020-06-28 23:20:53 CEST

I have added/plugged in the MemoryStick when was on the dialog site, it wouldn't refresh. So I went one step back, it lost the name of my NAS. One step forward it showed now the MemoryStick in the pulldown menu.

A good idea: Yes Collect Statistic Data

I would appreciate an information like: This is the last questionaire, an automatic reboot will be done for you to complete the configuration process.

Enable Cookies to login after the reboot with: administrator

1872443893_simpleNAS2020-06-28.png.d5ed2293b439030ab16de922316fd9a5.png

When I install an App like NextCloud or Bitwarden. Is this from DEB, Docker or any other package format?

EDIT:  After the install of NextCloud, the webinterface was dead, after a reboot NC was available and it worked as expected.

Edited by Tido
after NextCloud

4 hours ago, Werner said:

A no-go. Python2 is EOL.

To be fair, I guess it is part in one of these packages

https://github.com/johnnyq/simpnas/blob/master/install.sh

echo "=================================================================================="

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive \apt install samba smartmontools rsync php-cgi cryptsetup git mdadm apt-transport-https curl gnupg-agent software-properties-common quota dnsutils -y

@PittPC  looking at github I see 5 Folders and literally hundreds of files. How about a folder containing the APPS install/update scripts and a BACKUP folder for its scripts (a NAS is not a backup).

• Nexcloud install was successful.
  • Bitwarden is not reachable on port 88  (I will now try the trash-symbol, restart and reinstall)

On 6/28/2020 at 3:07 AM, Tido said:

I hope you copy all this text to your documentation.

// sent from mobile phone //

We are working on a blog so followers can see updates, we will have this up and running by the end of the week.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, guidol said:

root@nanopi-a64:~# timedatectl show -p TimeUSec --value Sun 2020-06-28 16:16:39 +03

Thank you we will see if we can get a fix out this week

On 6/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, guidol said:

You did Updates - but the Update-function doesnt show anything new :(
Is there any place/page where we could see the actual installed version-number?
When not - could you please include it on the Dashboad or Updates-Page?

Currently when you select check OS updates it only checks for OS updates and not simpnas updates, although when you select Upgrade Simpnas it will upgrade to the latest version and push you back to the dashboard. We will update this with a version number in dashboard and we will rename check for os updates to just check for updates. At the top it will display the most recent simpnas update along with a drop down that will show you the git commits since then and bottom will be os updates.

17 hours ago, Tido said:

Why Python 2 ?

libpython2-stdlib libpython2.7 libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7

Unfortunately python 2 is required by smartmonutils and is needed to get SMART data off of HDDs

17 hours ago, Tido said:

Script, if this step is done as a first step (not the install, but adding the repository),  apt update  would only be done once == quicker?

We have to run apt update twice the reason for it before we can add the apt repo we must install certain binaries, we run it again to update the docker repro. This is so we don't have to run it again in the webGUI.

17 hours ago, Tido said:

I have added/plugged in the MemoryStick when was on the dialog site, it wouldn't refresh. So I went one step back, it lost the name of my NAS. One step forward it showed now the MemoryStick in the pulldown menu.

We will add a refresh Devices button to that page

17 hours ago, Tido said:

I would appreciate an information like: This is the last questionaire, an automatic reboot will be done for you to complete the configuration process.

Enable Cookies to login after the reboot with: administrator

Good Idea, we may be able just to eliminate the reboot process as well

4 hours ago, Tido said:
  • Nexcloud install was successful.
  • Bitwarden is not reachable on port 88  (I will now try the trash-symbol, restart and reinstall)

@Tido BitwardenRS unfortunately is not compatible with arm32bit yet, hopefully soon ;)

Did your nextcloud install fully? Did it ask you to setup a database? sometimes it doesnt install fully when the system is under powered or under alot of load we are trying to fix it.

All the apps use docker and the configuration is stored in /volumes/YOURFIRSTVOLUMENAME/docker/APPNAME

Major Updates

1. The install.sh script now installs the debian backports version of smartmontools which doesn't depend on Python 2 and is a much newer version. This also sped up the install process a bit.

2. Added single disk support OS/Data

3. Updated the update system, dashboard now shows the latest version, when you choose updates it ill now show the changes between the installed version and the current.

4. We added Rescan disks button to add volume in setup as well as add volume in the main web ui app.

5. The system no longer reboots after setup it now directs you directly to the login screen.

Another update worth mentioning

14 hours ago, Tido said:

looking at github I see 5 Folders and literally hundreds of files. How about a folder containing the APPS install/update scripts and a BACKUP folder for its scripts (a NAS is not a backup).

1. Removed all the unnecessary plugin files reduced the amount of files in general, reworked some of the file hierarchy and layout

Alright, finally my large posting..

On 6/29/2020 at 5:09 PM, PittPC said:

not compatible with arm32bit yet

Rock Pi 4B - a beefy RockChip 3399, SoC 6-cores, 64-Bit, 4GB RAM,  http://rockchip.wikidot.com/rk3399#toc1

Bitwarden_rs  brilliant, you're already using the rs.

@TidosNAS:/volumes/USB_MemoryStick/docker# ls -la
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jun 30 12:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Jun 28 23:29 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 30 12:07 bitwarden
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jun 28 23:47 nextcloud
drwxr-xr-x 4  911  911 4096 Jun 28 23:48 nextcloud_mariadb

@TidosNAS:/volumes/USB_MemoryStick/docker/bitwarden# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 30 12:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jun 30 12:07 ..

is the bitwarden script missing on Github?  I couldn't find it. My folder is just empty, not one bit.

Feature Requests:

1. Adding information to the Section of the APPS title, like:
    In here all apps are 64-Bit, all Apps are applied in Docker-Containers
  2. Reading logs of the specific containers (for trouble shooting)
    add an icon on each Apps at the end of the line like:  Link | Trash | Log
    Or does it make sense to keep all Logs in one place. If so, then how separate System-Logs from Docker-Logs
  3. My comment here: https://github.com/johnnyq/simpnas/issues/23
  4. Another App suggestion, less than NextCloud, more on security:  EteSync integrates seamlessly with your existing apps. All you need to do is run your own instance, install the app, and enter your password.
    After that, you will be able to save your contacts, calendar events and tasks to EteSync using your existing apps, and EteSync will transparently encrypt your data and update the change journal in the background. More security, same work-flow https://www.etesync.com/

On 6/29/2020 at 5:09 PM, PittPC said:

Did your nextcloud install fully?

Yes, I had to reboot the device (the Web UI wouldn't come back), but then I was welcomed with the option to run sqlite or to install any other DB.
I went with sqlite and this was safe and sound.

Having a clean naming structure is more fun, if no Apps-folder on Github, at least:

• install_
  • update_
  • config_

hard to find:  transmission_update.php

Blog is a nice idea, how about adding a folder to the repo for documentation, so users can participate?

like here: https://github.com/armbian/documentation/tree/master/docs/ ideas for sections:

• What is SimpNAS
  • What is supported
  • Preparation before installation
  • Installation
  • NextCloud - storage is located at? - define its storage size
  • Where are the files: root/volumes for the Apps  and  the Web UI in
  • Troubleshooting
  • All the apps use docker and the configuration is stored in /volumes/YOURFIRSTVOLUMENAME/docker/APPNAME

I didn't check the improved install-process yet, but I sure will do that. Last but not least, great and quick improvements since your first posting here :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Tido said:

is the bitwarden script missing on Github?  I couldn't find it. My folder is just empty, not one bit.

Actually it pulls down the docker but the binary that there is compiled for intel arch x86. so it gets stuck in a loop at boot and never creates the files in the bitwarden dir. I think i may have a fix for this. Ill try to get it out this week.

3 hours ago, Tido said:

Adding information to the Section of the APPS title, like:
In here all apps are 64-Bit, all Apps are applied in Docker-Containers

Good idea will do

3 hours ago, Tido said:

Reading logs of the specific containers (for trouble shooting)
add an icon on each Apps at the end of the line like:  Link | Trash | Log
Or does it make sense to keep all Logs in one place. If so, then how separate System-Logs from Docker-Logs

Fantastic Idea, i'll implement it in both areas the apps list and the logs and separate them

3 hours ago, Tido said:

Another App suggestion, less than NextCloud, more on security:  EteSync integrates seamlessly with your existing apps. All you need to do is run your own instance, install the app, and enter your password.

nice! I never heard of this ill be sure to look into this one !

3 hours ago, Tido said:

Yes, I had to reboot the device (the Web UI wouldn't come back), but then I was welcomed with the option to run sqlite or to install any other DB.
I went with sqlite and this was safe and sound.

the install did not go as intended, it should have already configured the database using mysql, and everything configured out of the box. It seems to break on systems with high load or disks with low IO. Try installing it again by deleting the container and reinstalling. Ill try to figure this one out this week.

3 hours ago, Tido said:

Having a clean naming structure is more fun, if no Apps-folder on Github, at least:

• install_
  • update_
  • config_

good idea will implement i like the structure

3 hours ago, Tido said:
  • What is SimpNAS
  • What is supported
  • Preparation before installation
  • Installation
  • NextCloud - storage is located at? - define its storage size
  • Where are the files: root/volumes for the Apps  and  the Web UI in
  • Troubleshooting
  • All the apps use docker and the configuration is stored in /volumes/YOURFIRSTVOLUMENAME/docker/APPNAME

Deff start working on this docs are key

Thanks so much for the Excellent input and troubleshooting!! We will get these things implemented!!

On 6/20/2020 at 10:20 PM, PittPC said:

we have it installed on an ODroid HC2

this is ARM too...

On 7/2/2020 at 2:24 AM, PittPC said:

but the binary that there is compiled for intel arch x86.

hmm, so you didn't try all the Apps on your device I guess  :rolleyes: .  We had this problem too, here and here for some Document-Mgmnt-SW - one took an eternity to compile so we went for the one which is quicker :)

I see a file: test.php  what is the idea of it?  It sounds promising ;)

Edited by Tido
wrong: Content-Mgmnt-SW, correct DMS

On 7/2/2020 at 5:12 AM, Tido said:

I see a file: test.php  what is the idea of it?  It sounds promising

hahaha nice find! ;) I was mad at something so I created a test file.

I was trying things out initially in a virtual machine

More updates coming. I will focus more on documentation today and maybe finish working on remote backup support

18 hours ago, PittPC said:

more on documentation

if you start I can participate if you like.

So, another large message...    I flashed the SDcard and started from scratch.  Even with backports or is it just the order or does another software pull Python2:
python2
python2-minimal
libpython2-stdlib
python2.7
python2.7-minimal
libpython2.7
libpython2.7-minimal
libpython2.7-stdlib , because it still gets installed. It could be that the old smartmontools as well as another software still depends on Python2?

Spoiler

==================================================================================
Installing Additional Required Packages...
Samba, PHP, Rsync, mdadm (RAID), BTRFS etc
==================================================================================
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done

btrfs-progs is already the newest version (4.20.1-2).
curl is already the newest version (7.64.0-4+deb10u1).
git is already the newest version (1:2.20.1-2+deb10u3).
rsync is already the newest version (3.1.3-6).
software-properties-common is already the newest version (0.96.20.2-2).
apt-transport-https is already the newest version (1.8.2.1).
dnsutils is already the newest version (1:9.11.5.P4+dfsg-5.1+deb10u1).

The following additional packages will be installed:
  busybox cryptsetup-bin cryptsetup-initramfs cryptsetup-run libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
  libcups2 libldb1 libmagic-mgc libmagic1 libpython-stdlib libpython2-stdlib libpython2.7 libpython2.7-minimal
  libpython2.7-stdlib libsodium23 libtalloc2 libtdb1 libtevent0 libtirpc-common libtirpc3 libwbclient0 php-common
  php7.3-cgi php7.3-cli php7.3-common php7.3-json php7.3-opcache php7.3-readline python python-crypto python-dnspython
  python-ldb python-minimal python-samba python-talloc python-tdb python2 python2-minimal python2.7 python2.7-minimal
  samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs tdb-tools
Suggested packages:
  keyutils cups-common file dracut-core php-pear python-doc python-tk python-crypto-doc python2-doc python2.7-doc
  binfmt-support libnet-ldap-perl rpcbind default-mta | mail-transport-agent bind9 bind9utils ctdb ldb-tools smbldap-tools
  ufw winbind heimdal-clients
Recommended packages:
  default-mta | mail-transport-agent python-gpg attr samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  busybox cryptsetup cryptsetup-bin cryptsetup-initramfs cryptsetup-run gnupg-agent libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data
  libavahi-common3 libcups2 libldb1 libmagic-mgc libmagic1 libpython-stdlib libpython2-stdlib libpython2.7
  libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib libsodium23 libtalloc2 libtdb1 libtevent0 libtirpc-common libtirpc3 libwbclient0
  mdadm php-cgi php-common php7.3-cgi php7.3-cli php7.3-common php7.3-json php7.3-opcache php7.3-readline python
  python-crypto python-dnspython python-ldb python-minimal python-samba python-talloc python-tdb python2 python2-minimal
  python2.7 python2.7-minimal quota samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs tdb-tools
0 upgraded, 52 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 21.7 MB of archives.

If I compare what I already have the newest, leaves to install from your list:
samba  php-cgi  cryptsetup  mdadm  gnupg-agent  quota

So, either if Python2 cannot be located, I would remove the risk of Backports and their risk of incompatibility to break the system.

Volume Creation
Volume Name - should be the last line, because if I click RESCAN it will blank the name I just entered for the disk. So, I think you should first choose the drive and File System Type and then give a name to it.
* The rescan works * :)
LOL, 'skip' is hidden like on Websites where they want you to upload their addressbook.

Why did you add BTRFS?

Firefox offers me a generated Password. While doing so I cannot see your information, that is essential, the login name:

I would appreciate an information like:  Enable Cookies to login after the reboot with: administrator

87622048_UsernameandPWSimpNAS.png.60dafdbd83f11c79d85654284e4318a8.png

It feels snappier, right now. But nothing is installed (no Apps).

Install Nextcloud, with all 3 ticks set.
The Web UI didn't freeze this time. However, klicking on the Docker-Logs as the very first step, both = empty.

:/volumes/USB_MemoryStick/docker/nextcloud# ls -la
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jul  4 11:25 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jul  4 11:25 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul  4 11:25 appdata
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul  4 11:25 data

:/volumes/USB_MemoryStick/docker/nextcloud_mariadb# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul  4 11:25 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jul  4 11:25 ..

Same situation for bitwarden.
Even after a reboot, nothing. I try a reinstall now... didn't help either. Still not working, no logs. It was working before.

In the file: post.php, is a line: $stringData = "UUID=$uuid    /volumes/$name      $filesystem    defaults 0 0\n";
I would add UTF8 because french, germans and we like to use letters like èéàüäö. An extract of my /etc/fstab:
ext4    defaults,utf8    0    0

Last but not least, I would like to come back to run apt update just once. You wrote it needs a software, is it curl?
Couldn't a check, if it is already there omit this slow process:  Yes it is there, add the docker Repo,  if not,  do it later. Variable yes/no

With Backports my system has to sort out: Get:147 http://deb.debian.org

Some options I found to run a check:

# dpkg -l | cut -d " " -f 3 | grep "^curl"
curl

# dpkg-query --show --showformat='${db:Status-Status}\n' 'curl'
installed

# dpkg -l curl
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version          Architecture Description
+++-==============-================-============-=======================================================
ii  curl           7.64.0-4+deb10u1 arm64        command line tool for transferring data with URL syntax

# apt -qq list curl
curl/stable,stable,now 7.64.0-4+deb10u1 arm64 [installed]
curl/stable,stable 7.64.0-4+deb10u1 armhf