20.05+ Bionic images not booting on FriendlyElec NanoPi M4 V2

ValdikSS

Hi, the latest Bionic Legacy Desktop images for NanoPi M4 V2 (Armbian_20.05.2_Nanopim4v2_bionic_legacy_4.4.213_desktop.img.xz and Armbian_20.05.1_Nanopim4v2_bionic_legacy_4.4.213_desktop.img.xz) do not boot on the board. No green LED. No video output at all. I haven't checked UART.

The latest working image is Armbian_20.02.7_Nanopim4v2_bionic_legacy_4.4.213_desktop.7z

I have a good power supply (12V 2A, also tried with USB 5V 3A), and a good MicroSD card (high endurance).
I did not forget to unXZ the new image file and write it with dd, just as 20.02.7 7z. I've checked the checksum of written data on the MicroSD card, and it equals to the checksum of the uncompressed file, that's why I believe that the images are broken. The issue happened somewhere in between .7z → .xz image transaction.

If I update 20.02.7 with apt, it continues to work fine.

Edited by ValdikSS

Could you try without hdmi plugged in? I've been having issue's with that with the M4. 
If I boot without HDMI plugged then it boots and I can plug my hdmi back in.

Also the M4V2 is powered with 5V only.  

14 hours ago, NicoD said:

Could you try without hdmi plugged in? I've been having issue's with that with the M4. 
If I boot without HDMI plugged then it boots and I can plug my hdmi back in.

Also the M4V2 is powered with 5V only.  

NicoD, you're right, the board boots newer images without HDMI plugged in. I power it on without HDMI plugged, wait until green LED begin to flash, plug in HDMI, everything works. The issue persists after full apt upgrade on newer images. I assume that the initialization process has changed inside the u-boot, introducing this issue.

I have official 12V PSU module from FriendlyELEC.
https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=256