Error buiding H3 image

Hello. I have some problem, building image from source. I try to build legacy kernel, full image, CLI, for Orange Pi PC and Orange Pi One (the two i have), but it always stops at "LD      kernel/built-in.o", with the following error:

[ error ] ERROR in function compile_kernel [ common.sh:177 ]

on both platforms. I try Ubuntu Xenial and Debian Jessie, same error at the same place, so i don't think it's OS related. I delete the source and git clone again, but this not helped. I also try to build the same image (5.14_Ubuntu_xenial_3.4.112, CLI) for my A20 Lamobo R1 and it builds with no errors. So there must be something with H3 only.

As far as i see, line 176 and 177 of common.sh consist the following:

if [[ ${PIPESTATUS[0]} -ne 0 || ! -f arch/$ARCHITECTURE/boot/$KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE ]]; then
		exit_with_error "Kernel was not built" "@host"

but this speak nothing to me. Some help please :).

Thanks for your suggestions, but it doesn't seems armbian github to work that way. "git tag -l" show nothing and "git checkout tags/v2016.06" said - "error: pathspec 'tags/v2016.06' did not match any file(s) known to git". I remember i tried to switch to something older in armbian git before, but even if i download zip to earlier point, when i execute ./compile.sh it always update to latest.

I guess i have to wait someone to note and fix this. I just was in a mood to play with H3 a little...

@RagnerBG

I just compiled legacy kernel for H3 without any issues. Please try compilation again (on Ubuntu Xenial x64 as it is recommended build host OS), add

PROGRESS_LOG_TO_FILE=yes

to compile.sh, and if compilation will end with an error, please provide logs from output/debug/ directory (you should be able to attach .tar.gz or .zip file here).

Edit: For clarification - you will need to manually compress .log files to get the latest ones.

@RagnerBG

Thanks for your suggestions, but it doesn't seems armbian github to work that way. "git tag -l" show nothing and "git checkout tags/v2016.06" said - "error: pathspec 'tags/v2016.06' did not match any file(s) known to git". I remember i tried to switch to something older in armbian git before, but even if i download zip to earlier point, when i execute ./compile.sh it always update to latest.

I guess i have to wait someone to note and fix this. I just was in a mood to play with H3 a little...

ok a little bit unrelated

http://www.armbian.com/using-armbian-tools/ saysgit clone --depth 1 https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib

but doing so you don't get all the git tree

(remove --depth 1) => git clone https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib

[gr@server1404:~/armbian/lib] master ± git tag -l
v2015.12
v2016.02
v2016.06

man git-clone =>

--depth <depth>
           Create a shallow clone with a history truncated to the specified number of revisions.

--[no-]single-branch
           Clone only the history leading to the tip of a single branch, either specified by the --branch option or the primary branch
           remote's HEAD points at. When creating a shallow clone with the --depth option, this is the default, unless
           --no-single-branch is given to fetch the histories near the tips of all branches. Further fetches into the resulting
           repository will only update the remote-tracking branch for the branch this option was used for the initial cloning. If the
           HEAD at the remote did not point at any branch when --single-branch clone was made, no remote-tracking branch is created.

note: I am a git newbie

(on Ubuntu Xenial x64 as it is recommended build host OS)

Oh, i guess i missed that part, i was still on 14.04. It was time to upgrade anyway. On Xenial x64 everything build ok and i am already burning the image to sd :). Also i noted this in github, about commit cdcfd97e5f36dc4914ed20f25ae1e430e487d752:

Disabling patching when FORCE_CHECKOUT is disabled.

I used to set FORCE_CHECKOUT to "no" and now i leave it to yes, and a bunch of patches applied. So i am not sure if this was the cause or building system, but now it's ok.

@wildcat_paris, thanks for the info, i am for sure more newbie. I thing i used to remove --depth 1, but maybe i am doing something wrong too.

And one last thing, that maybe is for separate topic. But on Armbian Xenial, there is no info about RAM usage on welcome screen, only IP, CPU Temp and storage usage, while in Debian Jessie it shows up. And wireless interface is not in the form like wlan0, wlan1 etc, but something like wlx000db000d6ef. It's not a big deal, but it took me a while to figure out why my wireless is not working with my saved config :). This is on both OpiPC and OpiOne images.

Oh, i guess i missed that part, i was still on 14.04. It was time to upgrade anyway. On Xenial x64 everything build ok and i am already burning the image to sd :). Also i noted this in github, about commit cdcfd97e5f36dc4914ed20f25ae1e430e487d752:

Ubuntu 14.04 is still supported, but new stuff is tested mostly on 16.04. FORCE_CHECKOUT was probably the reason why you got compilation errors.

on Armbian Xenial, there is no info about RAM usage on welcome screen

Line 86 in /etc/update-motd.d/30-sysinfo should read there

memory_usage=$(free | awk '/Mem/ {printf("%.0f",$3/$2*100)}')

Which package is /usr/bin/free providing?

And wireless interface is not in the form like wlan0, wlan1 etc, but something like wlx000db000d6ef. It's not a big deal, but it took me a while to figure out why my wireless is not working with my saved config :). This is on both OpiPC and OpiOne images.

There needs to be an udev rule overriding this behavior. I'll add this to board support package later.

Which package is /usr/bin/free providing?

% dpkg -S $(which free)
procps: /usr/bin/free

@tkaiser, I think /usr/bin/free comes from "procps" package.

Indeed! (Thx Zador for the syntax!)

Xenial has 2:3.3.10-4ubuntu2:

root@beelinkx2:/# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1024120     237324     786796       5784      15420      98172
-/+ buffers/cache:     123732     900388
Swap:       131068          0     131068

And jessie uses 2:3.3.9-9:

tk@orangepipcplus:/$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        1024220      111956      685604        2440      226660      886863
Swap:        131068           0      131068

So maybe checking procps version is the right idea to deal with different output? Up2Igor since I still find this motd stuff not that useful :)