Nanopi M4V2 Focal Issues

JrRockeTer

Is there an issues page relating to the M4V2 and Armbian Focal.

I'm testing it and I have a few strange things happening with NFS and network but I was wondering if there as a known issues or a general topic regarding this board and this Ambian build because searching for nanopi-M4V2 Focal... is not a good idea.

Thanks

Well if you already reached out for the search function there is nothing much to add here since the topic lacks of further fundamental information like armbianmonitor -u, configs, error messages....

There are no messages, the system simply reboots that is why I wanted to know if there were issues under certain circumstances.

No error messages, no panic, no crash, no core dumps, no kernal erros, nothing in the syslog, journalctl shows no additional problems to the ones on installation, just reboots.

Copy a directory with hundreds of files over NFS after a while, stops, reboots

Copy a directory with hundreds of files using rsync, after a while, stops, reboots

All of this on a LAN

Another way to reproduce it,  Firefox Syncing, I have lots of add ons, Firefox starts to sync, system reboots.

Additional software installed tmux, zsh (from armbian SW oh my zsh), vim gtk3, nfs-common, mlocate, firefox, that's about it

Using 2.4Ghz Keyboard and mouse.. Nothing much else outside of the ordinary on the h/w side, the box is in the metal case with the fan

Configuration SD card and 500GB NVME ,  the system boots from SD but runs on the NVME - NO EMMC installed

That is about it.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to copy IMG to another SD tomorrow and try and reproduce it step by step

I'm not monitoring the temperature as I'm busy checking the transfer etc but I could split the screen and armbianmonitor in another screen and see what the temperature is doing.

But in that case it means the first thing I need to do is to compile fancontrol and run it but make sure it keeps it cool.

And this is not cool!!!

I had no problems under Bionic on this system, I just wanted to upgrade to focal.

I'm currently running FriendlyElec and facontrol is automatic.

I downloaded these:

Armbian_20.05.4_Nanopim4v2_focal_current_5.4.46.img
Armbian_20.05.4_Nanopim4v2_focal_current_5.4.46_desktop.img

Tried them both, the reboot stopped after I reinstalled but I have other issues, firefox crashing, Telegram crashing.. I even tried Mate Desktop and sddm.

I'm going to go back to bionic with the M4V2, Focal is the worse experience I've had  with Armbian since the Tinkerboard!

Thanks @NicoD is touring  vlaanderen at the moment, lucky man ;-)

BTW, on the main download page for the build I downloaded it says:

"SUPPORTED devices are tested and they work apart from known issues and missing features. Support is provided as far as possible (in general there is no support for 3rd party hardware like DVB tuners and software like Kodi). Please check the documentation and existing forum posts before posting a question. Questions on private channels are ignored."

So the first thing I did was to ask for the issues page, which no one answered, or you did but you did not try and answer my question, plus, it is the title of this post.

So, does this "SUPPORTED" actually mean anything as you're the only one trying to help ?

Yeah I know, saw the YT videos ;)

Unfortunately there is not much documentation in that case. It is quite hard to keep track what are current issues, what has been solved, what is new and everything across literaly hundred boards...

Anyway what might be interesting for you is to check JIRA for open threads: https://armbian.atlassian.net/projects/AR/issues/

I could have mentioned that before.

Support terms are stated here:https://github.com/armbian/build#support

And no, I am no maintainer or developer. I am just a random guy that spends (sometimes too much) time in the forums and help others and collect information that might be useful for actual contributors. ;)

The issue in general is that the team behind Armbian is way too small for the amount of work and can barely catch up with everything. This of course has some downsides and relying on the community to provide p2p support.

Wow, thanks very much Werner, the first link is the one I was looking for ... Thanks.

And let me thank you for your patience and your help for this strange problem.

I'm getting along with the M4V2 very well now, I use Chromium for the sites I know will crash Firefox and for the rest I have one WiFi problem which I'll post about in a new post.

Thanks

21 hours ago, JrRockeTer said:

Wow, thanks very much Werner, the first link is the one I was looking for ... Thanks.

And let me thank you for your patience and your help for this strange problem.

I'm getting along with the M4V2 very well now, I use Chromium for the sites I know will crash Firefox and for the rest I have one WiFi problem which I'll post about in a new post.

Thanks

You're welcome!

Glad to hear you could make progess.:beer:

If you come across stuff that can be enhanced or patched and you would like to share with the community please do so. Armbian heavily relying on community contributions.

Hi @JrRockeTer and @Werner .
Nice to see you guys making progress. I haven't checked much in focal on Armbian. Only gaming.
I indeed was on tour. And had a couple rough days making all the video's. So I had no time to look into it. Glad to see it seems fixed.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, Werner said:

And no, I am no maintainer or developer. I am just a random guy that spends (sometimes too much) time in the forums and help others and collect information that might be useful for actual contributors.

Same goes for me. I help where I can, but I can't help that much.

In a few weeks I'll get back into it, haven't done enough traveling yet. Greetings.

Hi @NicoD  nice to see you and nice to watch the videos, there are 3 I have not seen yet ..

I don't know what caused the problems.. After talking to werner I recompiled the fancontrol C program and set it up as a service and I used the original power supply. The rebooting issue disappeared.

I think it is stable now but it gave me a lot of problems, I finally changed to SDDM instead of the default and changed to Ubuntu Mate..

Now it works just like I want it to BUT ; In the process I managed to lose my wlan0 device, which I posted about in another post.

Yesterday I donated some money to Armbian hoping to help on the support side.

And thanks to  @Werner who tried his best.

Have fun holidaying, I'm not venturing far this year!

I think most of my original problems were related to: Power, Memory, HEAT

1- at one time I made a mistake and was not using the factory power supply

2- the problem with zram and swapping that you fixed for me @NicoD

3- When I first installed it I had not installed fan management, this should come standard.

See is-there-a-way-to-avoid-killing-processe-when-out-of-memory-out-of-memory-killed-process for instructions on the memory issue

cat /proc/swaps

Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/zram0                              partition       329960  328920  5
/dev/zram1                              partition       329960  329020  5
/dev/zram2                              partition       329960  329076  5
/dev/zram3                              partition       329960  328840  5
/dev/zram4                              partition       329960  329008  5
/dev/zram5                              partition       329960  329000  5
/swapfile                               file            8388604 516160  -2

vmstat 5 100
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ------cpu-----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa st
14  1 2945416  82864   3580 281876   14   20    13     6   44   53  1  0 99  0  0
10  0 2965260  79092   2084 251232 43369 35211 34502 13287 10110 17175 58 34  6  2  0
 9  0 2999792  83996   4204 293888 32905 38888 31712 27475 9000 15632 61 34  4  1  0