HiFiBerry on Rock64 howto needed

Hello Armbian community

My HiFiBerry DAC HAT works well on my Raspberry Pi 3B with RasPiOS.  However, I would like to put it on my Rock64 to use the higher Ethernet and USB speed it offers.

As far as I can tell, HiFiBerry DAC is in the mainline Linux kernel - it is mentioned in the source code, but I do not understand programming, so I cannot see if it is used.  Is the HiFiBerry DAC supported in Armbian's kernel?  If so, how can I activate and use it?  I put the HAT on the Rock64 and installed Armbian_20.05.2_Rock64_buster_current_5.4.43.img.xz , and it booted without problems, but I could not get sound out of the HiFiBerry DAC, and Alsamixer showed no controls for the sound hardware.

I also tried making a Virtualbox to compile the Armbian kernel, and I could get the build environment to work, but I did not find any clues to include support for the HiFiBerry DAC - yes, I am truly clueless when it comes to programming, but I can follow a step by step recipe.

Please give me a recipe for getting the HiFiBerry DAC to work on Rock64 with Armbian.

Best regards

Freddy

Edited by Werner
Replaced prefix

On 8/2/2020 at 12:11 PM, MacBreaker said:

Hey, this will not work..

Have you seen the data sheet of the Rock64?

There is no I2S on the Pi-2 Bus (pinheader) where you connected the HiFiBerry DAC from your RPi.

You can use jumper wire to connect it with P5 but you need a overlay to activate I2S.

Thank you MacBreaker, that clears up everything.

Yes, I have _looked_at_ the data sheet, but I am even more clueless about electronics than I am about programming, and I would not dare to come near a soldering iron.  :(

I will just keep things unchanged and see if I can use the Rock64 for something else.

Best regards

Freddy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.