NanoPi M4v2 PCIe Gen2.0 Supported?

Batuhan Topbaş

I am thinking to buy NanoPi M4v2 and i want to use with nvme SSD. RockPi 4 support Gen 2.0. What about NanoPi? NanoPi only support Gen1? And what is the maximum theoretical speed for nvme SSD on NanoPi M4v2 ? I am between NanoPi M4v2 vs RockPi 4 and NanoPc T4.  I like NanoPi M4 design and box, I don't like rock pi ssd hat and box, and NanoPc price is expensive, not compact like NanoPi, ram is LPDDR3 others LPDDR4, but x4 lane and support Gen 2.1 is good.  I am so confused..

I did similar research some time ago and it resulted as M4V2 with Silicon Power P34A80 NVMe. 

Sure, this SSD is overkill for M4V2, as only two PCI lanes are used, but I got it for half price. 

PCIe 2.1 x2 theoretical throughput can't exceed 1GB/s.  In my case 663 MB/s is OK,  as board is used nonstop as Graylog, InfluxDB+Grafana and Pi-Hole server - even during this benchmark.

Not sure about T4, but M4V2 can't boot from NVMe. Even when Armbian is moved to and run from NVMe, so SD card shall stay in slot. :(

Spoiler

Screenshot.png.67c2e4fe1af8901d29354dadadd2020b.png

1 hour ago, piter75 said:

All RK3399 boards officially support only Gen1 but Gen2 seems to work well with them.

In Armbian Gen1 is enabled by default (safety first). Adventurous users can enable Gen2 with pcie-gen2 overlay.

Thank you for this info

5 hours ago, Arvo said:

I did similar research some time ago and it resulted as M4V2 with Silicon Power P34A80 NVMe. 

Sure, this SSD is overkill for M4V2, as only two PCI lanes are used, but I got it for half price. 

PCIe 2.1 x2 theoretical throughput can't exceed 1GB/s.  In my case 663 MB/s is OK,  as board is used nonstop as Graylog, InfluxDB+Grafana and Pi-Hole server - even during this benchmark.

Not sure about T4, but M4V2 can't boot from NVMe. Even when Armbian is moved to and run from NVMe, so SD card shall stay in slot. :(

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot.png.67c2e4fe1af8901d29354dadadd2020b.png

What about write speed? I watched Nicod review but he reviewed M4v1 and nvme write speed down to 300 after the first 2.5gb. Can you test write speed of M4v2 with 100mb 100 samples?(10gb)