ROCKPro64 as NAS?

wolf7250

I will be doing just regular NAS for bulk storage on spinning rust (large, inexpensive 3.5" HDDs).

Maybe a story will illustrate.  I will try and keep it short.  So, few years ago I bought a Cubietruck because you could connect directly an HDD with this little add on power board.  I barely knew anything about GNU/Linux at the time.  So it was half playing around.  Getting back into tech stuff that I had got away from for a long time, because life happened in the meantime (when I was young, I used to play a lot more with computers and stuff).

Anyway, so this toy / experiment worked so well, we started putting more and more of our valuable personal data on there.  Photos, documents, music, media, etc.  So then I start to think about reliability.  Because I am not a fan of "cloud" stuff, either.[0]  Now, Google is certainly spying on you.  But OTOH Google probably has your data backed up in 3 different physically separated data centers.  So, once you start "rolling your own" solution, you have to start thinking serious about backups, redundancy, etc.  So that is where I am at now.  First, file level reliability with ZFS.  And then later, doing ZFS snapshot stuff to remote boxes to have also off site backup (at friend or family house).

Does that answer your question?  :)

[0] A euphemism for "someone else's computer."  :lol: 

2 hours ago, soerenderfor said:

what about

apt install spl-dkms zfs-dkms

it it fails you can check the status with

dkms status

You know, at one point I thought "maybe I should just try" (exactly as you say).  :D

I dunno, I prefer to actually try to read/research and know what I am doing beforehand as much as possible.  But I know, some times you have to just go for it.

EDIT:  I figured it out, simple instructions now here: ZFS "just works" now on Armbian (2 step instructions if you are thick like me)!

Edited by TRS-80
add link to instructions

36 minutes ago, AlexVS said:

Installed Arabian 21.08.3 Booster with Linux 5.10.63 + OMV5. Used as a NAS.

Please excuse my English.

Okay, the rockpro64 as a small NAS is pretty cool. I still use my as a small storage server, vpn and some stuff. 

- Do you use the rockpro64 NAS case?